Find results in...
Justince

Doom DLC?

Would you?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Hell yes!
    • Nah

John Romero and others did give us a 9 level DLC once. It was called Ultimate Doom and it was free. :P

Even if they were pretty standard, and even if our community mappers, with recent practice -- and knowledge of the latest mapping techniques -- could assuredly do better, yes, yes I would buy those maps. If only for the thrill of getting some somewhat 'official' new content. What would really excite me, though, is some new sprites and textures - oh, baby!

Of course, he'd have to get id's/Zenimax's say-so first (if he wanted to charge). :/

Blzut3 said:

John Romero and others did give us a 9 level DLC once. It was called Ultimate Doom and it was free. :P

Ah...didn't you pay for the upgrade?

Technician said:

Ah...didn't you pay for the upgrade?

No, the upgrade was free for those that already had registered Doom. It was those that didn't already own registered Doom beforehand that needed to pay to get Ultimate Doom.

Nope. You could just download and apply a free patch distributed by Id Software.

Likewise for Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders. If you had the full 3-episode version, just download and apply a free patch distributed by Raven Software, and you get the two new episodes for free.

Given that Strife never had an official addon and that Chex Quest 2 was downloadable from a website, Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is the only expansion pack for a Doom engine game that wasn't free.

On topic: there are still so many classic megawads I haven't played yet that I wouldn't have much of a reason to buy one.

Gez said:

Given that Strife never had an official addon and that Chex Quest 2 was downloadable from a website, Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is the only expansion pack for a Doom engine game that wasn't free.

There are also the Master Levels for Doom 2, which was being marketed as a kind of expansion pack (like in the Depths of Doom Trilogy, where it was the third "Doom" in the set)...

How has nobody mentioned No Rest for the Living yet? :P

No seriously, they need to do this with that.

Romero did actually say he was working on a new episode. This was something like 2005. I guess he just never got around to finishing it. At this point I wouldn't count on seeing it. There is the XBox episode, which is actually really good.

I pitched the idea of $5 for 32 level total conversions as DLC for X-Box Live Arcade and PSN.... everyone pooped on it.

Someone find that topic and post it here.

No, the community does a good enough job providing unlimited DLC, as does level generators like Oblige as well.

Justince said:

Imagine a world where God actually loved his people, and by some miracle John Romero decided to make a new 9 level episode for vanilla Doom, and charge 9 dollars for it. Would you buy this DLC? Knowing full well that these are just simple vanilla maps, stuff we've probably all seen a million times?

Fuck no.

Also...vanilla? Why, why vanilla? Mancs and revenants can provide very interesting and excellent gameplay if placed properly. Much more so than hordes of imps IMO.

Quast said:

Also...vanilla? Why, why vanilla? Mancs and revenants can provide very interesting and excellent gameplay if placed properly. Much more so than hordes of imps IMO.

The lack of Doom 2 monsters is really a handicap these days; they're just so much fun.

Gez said:

No Rest for the Living is a nine-level episode.

It ain't done by Romero, though, and it's only (legally) avaible for XBLA. I'd still pay for it if I had an Xbox, though.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

He was legitimately interested in DTWiD, so maybe if someone contacted him about whipping up a small something, he might do it. :)

Since it's out, someone should fire him an email about its completion.

A buck a level... so a Doom 2 TC would be $32? No thanks. Levels aren't worth a buck.

Probably a good time for me to mention again that 360 Doom II has been discovered (by xttl) to be capable of loading additional "missions", including from paths that contain "DLC" as part of the path name.

This is why both the IWAD and the NR4TL PWAD had corresponding flexible metadata lumps in the .disk file that define the mission name, level names, secret exits, etc. for that WAD.

However, here we are about a year down the road and there's been no breath of a word about additional content for the program, so I fear that Nerve has moved on from the idea.

Quasar said:

Probably a good time for me to mention again that 360 Doom II has been discovered (by xttl) to be capable of loading additional "missions", including from paths that contain "DLC" as part of the path name.

This is why both the IWAD and the NR4TL PWAD had corresponding flexible metadata lumps in the .disk file that define the mission name, level names, secret exits, etc. for that WAD.

Has anybody attempted to create unofficial Doom II XBLA mods this way?