Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

can't get custom weapons to work

I've found this nifty little page: http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=59&Itemid=194 however half the weapons don't seem to work: flamethrower, m60, hellstorm cannon are some of the ones I've tried. Tried them on zdoom, chocolate doom, gzdoom and risen3d. I've had the m16 and sawn-off working just fine.

EDIT: Ok, apparently they aren't bound to a weapon slot, and you need to summon them in the zdoom console. How do I bind them to a weapon slot? Without using zdoom. I don't want to always have to use zdoom just for custom weapons.

i know in zdoom it is bind 5 "bfg9000" (might be bind 5 "switch bfg9000"). dunno about chocolate doom though. was the weapons mod made using DeHACKED?

Given the weapons are from Realm667 it'd be reasonable to assume they're using DECORATE, so getting them to run on anything other than a ZDoom-derived port would require a bit of work.

I had this problem as well.

Its not hard to fix, you just need to open the wads with slumped or some other wad editor and make a slight change to the decorate where you tell the game which weapon slot it uses. I also think you have to give it an actor number or something.

hardcore_gamer said:

I had this problem as well.

Its not hard to fix, you just need to open the wads with slumped or some other wad editor and make a slight change to the decorate where you tell the game which weapon slot it uses. I also think you have to give it an actor number or something.

That fixed it. Didn't need an actor number though. How do I import multiple weapons into a single wad?

invictius said:

Without using zdoom. I don't want to always have to use zdoom just for custom weapons.

Then forget Realm667.

The original Doom was not written to have custom weapons, or custom monsters, all the original behaviors are hardcoded. You can change them to some extent with dehacked, but it's still very limited and it will not, notably, allow you to add new stuff. You can just change old stuff into new stuff.

The only things you can change in vanilla Doom are graphics, levels, and textures.

Some source ports allow to define custom content. For some of these, custom content even include custom weapons -- EDGE was the first to allow custom weapons, which is why there are so many old weapon mods that were for EDGE.

Realm667 is [G]ZDoom-centric, so custom resources are coded in DECORATE, ZDoom's format. With some work you could try creating equivalent code in DDF and co., but there's no guarantee an exact equivalent can be done.

Gez said:

Then forget Realm667.

The original Doom was not written to have custom weapons, or custom monsters, all the original behaviors are hardcoded. You can change them to some extent with dehacked, but it's still very limited and it will not, notably, allow you to add new stuff. You can just change old stuff into new stuff.

The only things you can change in vanilla Doom are graphics, levels, and textures.

Some source ports allow to define custom content. For some of these, custom content even include custom weapons -- EDGE was the first to allow custom weapons, which is why there are so many old weapon mods that were for EDGE.

Realm667 is [G]ZDoom-centric, so custom resources are coded in DECORATE, ZDoom's format. With some work you could try creating equivalent code in DDF and co., but there's no guarantee an exact equivalent can be done.

Alright. I guess I can live with zdoom if it means having new weapons. Is there a simple way to combine several weapons into the one wad?

First, you need to make sure there are conflicts between the weapons (same sprite names, same sound names, etc.)

Then, just include all content from both weapon resources into your mod.

Finally, you need to assign slots to the weapons. There are several different methods you can use, the simplest by far IMO is "Weapon.SlotNumber X" in the weapon definition.

You'll also probably want to make sure the weapons have an editor number so you can place them in the map.

Gez said:

First, you need to make sure there are conflicts between the weapons (same sprite names, same sound names, etc.)

Then, just include all content from both weapon resources into your mod.

Finally, you need to assign slots to the weapons. There are several different methods you can use, the simplest by far IMO is "Weapon.SlotNumber X" in the weapon definition.

You'll also probably want to make sure the weapons have an editor number so you can place them in the map.

Alright. How are multiple weapons assigned to the one key, like the plasma rifle/railgun assigned to 6 in skulltag?

Give them the same weapon slot number, the game engine will cycle through them if you tap the assigned key repeatedly.

Here's what I did to see which weapons had weapon slots and which were good enough (or at least I thought it was a good way): downloaded every weapon wad on that realm667 site, unzipped all the wads and dragged them all over to gzdoom. That's 110 weapons. However only about 7 made an appearance in the game, even ones that I've already found to have weapon slots already with them. Is this some kind of engine limitation, not loading even a fraction of the mods? It's going to be a huge pain to test every one individually, especially if I had to look at them all in slumped.