Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

Here we are on the internet

Wow. It's so lonely in our dark, dank little corner of the internet. I mean, I know the internet is vast, but having a visual representation of it really puts how huge it is into perspective.

EDIT: It's probably so close to Wikia because of the Doom wiki traffic. Shame we can't take it off of there.

Clonehunter said:

I don't get this map at all. What is this based on, IP addresses?

If you had bothered to read the site's description, you'd know that it's based on traffic between different domain names, the more traffic, the larger the size. Sites that tend to cross a lot of their traffic together (with links and stuff) tend to gravitate closer to one another.

How is it color coded and spaced? Why are there satellite sites around big ones? There's no explanation.

EDIT: o u ninja post

What an interesting website this is! It looks like it also shows how well known the website is. After finding out where Doomworld is, it looks like it isn't too well known.

If I'm wrong with that then I guess it means that there isn't much traffic on Doomworld.

Sodaholic said:

If you had bothered to read the site's description, you'd know that it's based on traffic between different domain names, the more traffic, the larger the size. Sites that tend to cross a lot of their traffic together (with links and stuff) tend to gravitate closer to one another.

Well I didn't find the description. I would've bothered to read it if I had saw it. It's somewhat interesting.

I notice Doomworld is the same colour as the map's Chinese segment, does that mean we're part of the communist conspiracy?

What a brilliant way to visualize the internet. I'm enamored.

It makes it seem like a kind of macrocosmic organism in its own right. I wonder how long it will be before it achieves sentience...

Csonicgo said:

Nice.

Jimmy91 said:

It makes it seem like a kind of macrocosmic organism in its own right. I wonder how long it will be before it achieves sentience...

If anything, I think the internet will eventually be dumbed-down in coming years.

Technician said:

If anything, I think the internet will eventually be dumbed-down in coming years.

What on earth gives you that idea? The internet will continue to expand exponentially, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that it will even remotely go in the opposite direction.

Neither Skulltag, Zan, ZDoom or Odamex is there either. Had fun for abou a minute or two.

Sodaholic said:

What on earth gives you that idea? The internet will continue to expand exponentially, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that it will even remotely go in the opposite direction.

If the telcos and content providers manage to convince government regulators to ditch Net neutrality the Internet will be a very different place in 5 years time, most likely dominated by "walled garden" networks that you'll have to pay to access.

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that Facebook gets as much traffic as Google? I know it's an understatement to call it a massively popular website, but I would have thought a search engine would eclipse it's traffic amount all the same.

How many searches do you actually do? Some people spend a lot of time looking at their wall messages and friends's pages on Facebook, plus playing some dumb games like Farmville or whatever.

Gez said:

How many searches do you actually do?

That's the thing, I would have thought people spent more time searching for crap than they do liking things on FB. Though it's a moot point, obviously.

Jimmy91 said:

Relax, it's just how a network between 6 billion people would look like.