Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggotjoe

Map making tips

Im always trying to make maps but every time I do i get bored of them and they usually suck i use doom builder 2 and xwe i know how to make maps i just need some tips to make them good and fun to play?

I'm new to mapping but the one thing I can recommend is that you sketch it out first, have a clear plan of the kind of theme and general direction of the map.

Comparison can be the greatest destructive force to creativity, so try not to get too caught up with looking at what others have done.

I first suggest using Slade instead of XWE. XWE has a lot of bugs.

I get my inspiration from playing Doom WADS so check some out. You just need a general theme to go along with (hell, tech, metal, brick). You will also want to try and make the map difficult, not by the amount of monsters, but how the monsters correspond to the surroundings and layout. (such as chaingunners in turrents)

I feel that an important element that is vital is many line defs that have actions to make it more exciting. Such as opening doors that unveil monsters. You want the people playing to keep their attention.

PS: I'm also a Doom newbie. The people on these boards are really helpful

The best thing to do is to look at other WAD's, and take inspiration from where you can in terms of editing style, etc. Some people like to sketch their maps out too, but I don't work like that.

Personally, what motivates me to create a new level in Doom Builder is trying to recreate a 3D element from another game as closely as possible. This will make you search for different ways to create something unique. For example, a few months ago I saw a video on YouTube of Team Fortress Classic, and in one of the maps I saw a cool doorway with a sloped top and angled sides. It looked pretty nice so I started making my own version in Doom Builder, and that actually worked out very well.

I guess another way is to make sectors seperate from each other and find unique ways to connect them.

Leon said:

I guess another way is to make sectors seperate from each other and find unique ways to connect them.

I'm doing this with my current map. That is to say, I make a nice-looking area out in the void, then think about how it relates to and should connect to the rest of my map, then I do it.

I find it helps before making the area to have it in my head, visualised.