Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Nordic Doom mappers

This could be me, but somehow, even though there are lot of talented Doom mappers across the globe, it seems that the ones that stand out, and I mean the ones that make the best top-notch quality maps and wads are apparently the Nordic Doom mappers. From current to veteran mappers, and even the ones who sadly passed away, there's so many to name.

Erik Alm - Swedish
Fredrik Johannson - Swedish
Anders Johnsen - Norwegian
Kim Malde - Norwegian
Esa Repo - Finnish
Christian Hansen - Danish
Kristian Aro - Finnish
Ebola (Kristus) - Swedish
Sverre Kvernmo - Norwegian (even if he lives in the US)
Ola Bjorling - Swedish
Iikka Keranen - Finnish

Now, I'm pretty sure that there are other good Nordic Doom mappers I've missed out on, but these ones listed are by far the best of the best, who brought excellent maps with amazing architecture and fun gameplay which best defines Doom.

T-Rex said:

Sverre Kvernmo, yeah, he's Norwegian, though he's American.

Isn't that how it works though? Here in the states, If we have close ties to our place of origin we consider ourselves to be of that origin. I'm half Tongan, quarter English and quarter Dutch and I love to tell people that. My most noticeable features are Tongan so my friends call me their "Tongan friend". If I had a friend with a name like Sverre Kvernmo I would most definitely call him my Norwegian friend. I personally think its safe to put him on that list.

T-Rex said:

Sverre Kvernmo, yeah, he's Norwegian, though he's American.

I dunno, I thought he lived in Norway up until college. Unless you mean he doesn't live there anymore. Then again, he has an account here. Maybe he can set us straight.

Martin Alen Hunsager (Alien Vendetta map01, map11) - Norwegian
Jonas Feragen (chroz) (many maps in HR2, though how impressive they are can be up for discussion) - Norwegian

not that I stand out and make top notch quality maps, but Im Norwegian too :)

edit: Sverre Kvernmo is most def Norwegian. Here is an article from a norwegian newspaper (yes, in norwegian!):

http://www.dagbladet.no/pds/1998/05/29/102964.html

Sverre talks about his new job in Dallas, and the article even mentions Eternal Doom and The Master Levels.

Shaviro said:

Not enough danes on your list :P

Huh? All good ones are listed there!

ASD said:

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

If Denmark can be Scandinavian without even bordering the peninsula, then Finland which is physically on the peninsula can be Scandinavian ;-P

To us non-Scandinavians, the word means "Tall blonde girls, reindeer burgers, and cool beard hair"

edit: oh and back on topic, I also have noticed that the demoscene (that is, the programming/music culture) seems heavily focused in and around Viking-ville. Piracy as well. Perhaps the link between all these things is, a deeper than normal cultural desire to improve on other people's work.

Vorpal said:

If Denmark can be Scandinavian without even bordering the peninsula, then Finland which is physically on the peninsula can be Scandinavian ;-P

finns are immigrants with no relation to the older nations, so they don't count as true scandinavians. that's the logic behind it. :P

Piracy as well.

ahahaha... perhaps because of their fight for TPB and the pirate party, but swedes are decent people. they fight for principles or something. us eastern europeans just pirate shit cause we feel entitled to getting that shit for free! in much larger quantities!

I'm Swedish and I made two unreleased Doom maps back in '97.

TimeOfDeath said:

a/s/l?

I meant "I'm pretty sure" when I was saying how there are other Scandinavian mappers. Didn't noticed that slipup until you quoted it.

dew said:

finns are immigrants with no relation to the older nations, so they don't count as true scandinavians. that's the logic behind it. :P

ahahaha... perhaps because of their fight for TPB and the pirate party, but swedes are decent people. they fight for principles or something. us eastern europeans just pirate shit cause we feel entitled to getting that shit for free! in much larger quantities!

Thanks for fixing up that little mistake I made. Yes, technically, Scandinavia only consists of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, and Nordic is all of Northern Europe which includes the three countries mentioned, Finland, Iceland, and others. Since it's a common mistake people make, it's excusable, but still, thanks for pointing that out.

I prefer putting into the same group all countries with that sideway cross flag shape.

Jodwin. He's a mapper, Finnish AND Nordic AND obsesses over figurines and tentacle hentai. Beat that.

Vorpal said:
[/B]

Being Scandinavian has nothing to do with what land mass is connected to what. From Dictionary.com:

- Norse the northern group of Germanic languages, consisting of Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faeroese.

You'll notice Finland is not on that list :)

Vorpal said:

I also have noticed that the demoscene (that is, the programming/music culture) seems heavily focused in and around Viking-ville. Piracy as well. Perhaps the link between all these things is, a deeper than normal cultural desire to improve on other people's work.

Wow, that's a legitimate analysis