Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Godsdoomer

Resource confliction

Ive been working on a project for a while which seems to be having issues with the resource wad I'm using and the playpal it contains. I'm using medivltx.wad as a texture resource.

Right now, when I try to play test the map, or enter visual mode in doom builder, the pixels from the doom graphics are different random colors. (ie, Doom marine is green, now hes a mixture of bark brown and orange).

In the errors box, its displaying a multitude of "missing patch lump" and "double defined resource errors.", however, I don't think this is the issue since the original doom graphics are being corrupted.

I THINK there is some sort of conflict between the doom resources and the playpal in the medivltx.wad that I'm using for textures.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

There are two problems at play here:

First, the wad is made for Heretic and the palette contained in it is a modification of Heretic's palette. The colors don't match with Doom's. In order to use it with Doom, you'd need to convert all of the textures into Doom's palette and then remove the Heretic-based PLAYPAL lump from medivltx.wad.

Secondly, in vanilla Doom and in pretty nearly all ports other than ZDoom, texture and patch loading isn't additive. The PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps in medivltx.wad contain a list of the stock patches and textures from Heretic, not the ones from Doom 2. So, when you load your wad ingame, even after you fix the palette issue, it won't be displaying any of the Doom 2 textures.

Is there any way to combine the two pallets into one? Because if i get rid of the medevltx palette, then the colors from that wad will be corrupted. Or can those textures only have the same colors as doom 2 palette? If that's the case the textures in medvltx will all look a lot different.

Combining palettes isn't really practical since the result's likely to be incompatible with one or both games. Have you tried converting the graphics to Doom's palette in Slade? Some colours won't have reasonably close alternatives in the Doom palette, so the occasional flat or patch will look a little odd but maybe not to the point where they need retouching.

I've tried to delete the palette and set all textures to the Doom palette, but this corrupts nearly ALL of the textures to the point where I would need to edit them all in Photoshop, and that's just not feasible.

I have seen Doom wads before that have original heretic textures in them, how was that possible without corrupting one or the other?

Is there any way to forgo palettes, and have the textures just display as they are?

Godsdoomer said:

.... Is there any way to forgo palettes, and have the textures just display as they are?

Save the textures in png format, then use a port such as GZDOOM which can display truecolour png images.
Then there will be no need for TEXTURE1, PNAMES OR PLAYPAL.
Simply load them between TX_START and TX_END markers.

Godsdoomer said:

I've tried to delete the palette and set all textures to the Doom palette, but this corrupts nearly ALL of the textures to the point where I would need to edit them all in Photoshop, and that's just not feasible.

I have seen Doom wads before that have original heretic textures in them, how was that possible without corrupting one or the other?

Is there any way to forgo palettes, and have the textures just display as they are?

If you're wanting to avoid any color conversion at all, do what Kappes Burr said, though it'll restrict you to OpenGL ports.

When you say "corruption" though, I have to wonder: Are you actually converting the graphics from the medivltx palette into the Doom palette? You can't just drop the textures into a Doom wad without converting to the correct palette, or they'll look like random garbage.

Slade's image conversion dialog allows you to set a source palette and a destination palette. This is how Doom wads like Alien Vendetta and Eternal Doom are able to use textures from Heretic and other games.

Some of the textures might get a bit messed up if there aren't enough similar colors in Doom's palette, but the majority of them should survive the translation.

Kappes Buur said:

Save the textures in png format, then use a port such as GZDOOM which can display truecolour png images.
Then there will be no need for TEXTURE1, PNAMES OR PLAYPAL.
Simply load them between TX_START and TX_END markers.

Actually, if I recall correctly there are a number of multi-patch textures in medivltx.wad that depend on the texture1 definitions.