Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

Help with Group Teleporting in UDMF.

GZDoom Builder version 2.1.2.1557 map format UDMF.

I'm trying to get a group of Pinkies to teleport when the player kills a former human. Action 77 ("Teleport Group") does nothing, but action 76 ("Teleport Other") works haphazardly - only some of the Pinkies are teleported, some of the time.

Here's what I want to do, as illustrated by the screengrab:

Player kills A;
B teleports to D.
Player kills a B;
C teleports to D.
Player dances a little victory jig.

I've experimented with making different sized sectors for the Pinkies' originating boxes, but that didn't seem to help. And I've double checked that my teleport destinations are set to appear in all difficulties (that's always embarrassing). Finally, I've had no luck goolging for help with group teleports, so I come to you fine fellows.

P.S. I do know about this help thread (newbie UDMF level editing guide), and it's great, but doesn't address my particular issue. Though if I have to, I will just make linedef teleporters.

Of course, this could be done with Teleport.
But, if you would use mapspots, and then SpawnSpot to spawn whatever at the mapspots,
and attach ACS_Execute to A, this would be a lot easier. Plus you have more control over
what to spawn where.

Confusing? Here is an example.

Wow! Thank you, especially for the example you linked to. I'm toying around with your WAD, trying to emulate your results. So far I haven't had much luck; perhaps it's simply because I don't know the 'true' names of the Things I want to spawn (e.g. SoulSphere, or Soulsphere, or whathaveyou).

Though for the specific case in my OP, I did want the 'teleport' effect to go off, because I made that sector look like a teleporter pad.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. You've definitely given me the push I needed to get into some basic scripting, and I'm sure I'll make a lot of use of it in the future.

I'll attempt some more tinkering tomorrow morning, anyway.

To give you a running start, this time with teleport.

Here is another example.

Two things are key,
1. the ID tags must match up
2. the teleport destination spots, both for the source and the destination, must face the same direction.

Something I should point out about the SpawnSpot example. I only just now learned this myself.

I inadvertently gave the Former Human, which spawns the shotgun, an ID number of 1, the same
as the mapspots for the demons. Apparently there is no difference between mapspots and any
other actor with the same IDs.
Which means that a demon will be spawned where the Former Human is fragged.

So, one has to be careful when handing out IDs.
To make the map work properly, that Former Human should have an ID of 0.

schwerpunk said:

Wow! Thank you, especially for the example you linked to. I'm toying around with your WAD, trying to emulate your results. So far I haven't had much luck; perhaps it's simply because I don't know the 'true' names of the Things I want to spawn (e.g. SoulSphere, or Soulsphere, or whathaveyou).

1. It's case-insensitive, so there is no difference between SoulSphere and Soulsphere (or soulsphere, or SOULSPHERE, etc.) as far as ZDoom is concerned.
2. All the actor names can be found on the wiki.

Kappes Buur: Okay, this is great. I finally get it! Who knew it could be so simple? Thank you so much for your help, and for the additional example - it proved invaluable (your notes in the script editor helped a lot, too).

Gez: Thanks for the link. I'll be having this in the background while working with Doom Builder for quite some time, I imagine. [: