Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Didn't we just have a Shooting?

Coming up this week:

Right to let crazy people have guns vs. right to not get shot by crazy people debate continues.

Fiend said:

Coming up this week:

Right to let crazy people have guns vs. right to not get shot by crazy people debate continues.

This is obviously the result of Obama-care and atheism.

What I think is a little depressing (besides that a whole bunch of people got hurt or killed) is that this isn't receiving anywhere near the media attention that other recent shooting(s) have. I guess the press doesn't give a shit about a bunch of brown people getting shot up.

Also most the sikhs I've met while hygienically questionable, have been pretty nice people. :/

Fiend said:

Last time we had that debate, the result was that it's OK to be shot by people with guns that are not crazy. E.g. gangsters and cold-blooded criminals were fine, as long as they are not crazy and random and their actions were somehow "justifiable". I shit you not, read the Colorado shootings thread....

Nomad said:

I guess the press doesn't give a shit about a bunch of brown people getting shot up.

The "brown people" themselves usually don't give a shit about getting blown up or shot. I had watched a documentary about terrorism in Pakistan, and it was amazing how there were over 800 terrorist attacks per year, countless victims, and yet people had adopted a fatalist attitude ("that's the way it goes") and became so blasé that they simply accepted them as "normal". Certainly, there was grief at the individual victims/family level, but no widespread social outcry.

I think only white people should be allowed to have guns, and only as long as they promise not to shoot brown people.

Nomad said:

I think only white people should be allowed to have guns, and only as long as they promise not to shoot brown people.

But wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a gun?

Nomad said:

I guess the press doesn't give a shit about a bunch of brown people getting shot up.

I wouldn't say it's an excusable reason (it's deplorable, actually), but I think it's actually due to not "hitting as close to home" as, say, the Aurora Theater shooting, or a school shooting or some such thing. Most of the target audience has probably been to school or to a theater, but probably not a Sikh temple, so it'd easier for them to be shaken up by such events. I doubt most of the press cares about anything other than raking in an audience and riling them up, after all.

Anyways, it's a completely unfounded hypothesis, but it just seems more likely to me than ethnicity directly, which is just as unfounded. In other words, "the press doesn't give a shit about a bunch of temple-goers getting shot up".

Which is unfortunate, considering, yannow, lethal shooting. Shouldn't really be side-lined by some marketing concept.

I'm also making the assumption that the sikh folks were all brown too. ;)

But really, it's awful. I wouldn't wish something like this on my worst enemies. Banning gunz isn't the answer, but we really gotta figure out how to keep these assholes who think it's ok to go shooting up innocent folks from doing this shit.

Akira_98 said:

I wouldn't say it's an excusable reason (it's deplorable, actually), but I think it's actually due to not "hitting as close to home" as, say, the Aurora Theater shooting, or a school shooting or some such thing. Most of the target audience has probably been to school or to a theater, but probably not a Sikh temple, so it'd easier for them to be shaken up by such events. I doubt most of the press cares about anything other than raking in an audience and riling them up, after all.

Anyways, it's a completely unfounded hypothesis, but it just seems more likely to me than ethnicity directly, which is just as unfounded. In other words, "the press doesn't give a shit about a bunch of temple-goers getting shot up".

Which is unfortunate, considering, yannow, lethal shooting. Shouldn't really be side-lined by some marketing concept.

So in other words, it hasn't hit white suburbia.

Maes said:

The "brown people" themselves usually don't give a shit about getting blown up or shot.

Even Sikhs, not Muslim extremists, in America, and not Whereveristan?

DoomUK said:

Even Sikhs, not Muslim extremists, in America, and not Whereveristan?

Good point. Perhaps you should ask them directly, but I bet that while some might be appalled ("We came to America exactly to leave this sort of shit behind!"), at least a small portion of them will say "things like that happened all the time back home, why not here too?".

Yeah but this shooting happened 40 minutes away from me and is being called domestic terrorism.

Holy shit, Pat Robertson is still alive? I had in my Jerry Falwell category of "Dead People I Don't Miss."

Krispy said:

Maybe he got confused between Shiites/Sunnis/Sikhs?

Shiites and Sunnis are both Muslim. Sikhs aren't even close (not that it would be any better if he'd attacked Muslims).

Since he was a white supremacist I'm guessing he just wanted a place where some non-whites would group together. A Sikh temple fit the bill...

Maes said:

Good point. Perhaps you should ask them directly, but I bet that while some might be appalled ("We came to America exactly to leave this sort of shit behind!"), at least a small portion of them will say "things like that happened all the time back home, why not here too?".

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Sikhs have been immigrating to America for at least 100 years IIRC. Also Sikhs come from India and probably wouldn't have experienced the same kind of attacks that Muslims experienced even if they had once called India their home.

Technician said:

video

My mum gets this channel on her satellite TV connection and watches it regularly. This man talks so much shit you can almost see it escaping from his mouth.

bgraybr said:

Shiites and Sunnis are both Muslim. Sikhs aren't even close (not that it would be any better if he'd attacked Muslims).

Congratulations. That was the joke. Now it's not funny anymore. Thanks to you.

bgraybr said:

People confuse Sikhs with Muslims all the time. It's the turbans.

Snakes said:

Holy shit, Pat Robertson is still alive? I had in my Jerry Falwell category of "Dead People I Don't Miss."

I know right. He just won't die. Power of God I guess. Funny, 700 Club is on my TV right now because it was after some other show, and I'm too much of a lazy lard ass to get up and turn it off.