Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Psx Final Doom

I just purchased it today and im wondering what i should be awear of, some pointers or cool glitches. Also, what should i be playing first? I started with tnt. Should i be starting with master levels??

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Should i be starting with master levels??

Isn't that the default episode to start with?

By starting from TNT, you are starting from MAP14, which is nearly halfway through the game. That's a bit like starting PC Doom from Inferno. While the master levels techincally aren't Final Doom, it would make sense to start on them.

In terms of things to be aware of, there is a Cyberdemon in Onslaught so just keep an eye on your ammo. :)

xxbio Warfare11 said:

I just purchased it today and im wondering what i should be awear of

Mouse support. I.E; don't even bother with it. I saw it on the back of the case back in the day and thought "fuck yeah, I can control it like the PC Doom? Awesome!" - it doesn't really work that way. Sure, the mouse works like in the original DOS Doom, so turning (and bizarrely these days, moving backward and forward) can be done with a quick flick, but you only have the same customisability options on the control pad that you'd normally have -- no substitution for a WASD setup, then.

So, don't bother with the mouse and it's a fine game. ;)

I see. I was wondering why the mous thing did hardly what i was expecting. And the reason i was asking if i should start the master levels is because i know that it isnt the game cause well it says master levels and i want to do the actual campaign.

It's been a long time since I played PSX Final Doom, so I'm not sure if they have text screens at the end of each episode, because otherwise there's no storyline to it as such, but still..

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Really? Damn -_-

Actually, no, Final Doom did have a story, both episodes had their own. I'm not sure if they ever told them in the PSX version, but I know the PC version certainly did, in both the manual and text intermissions. Master Levels is just a collection of various fanmade levels turned commercial, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't have a storyline.

Final Doom is darker and much more brooding in tone than the original. The music is creepier, the architecture is better and some of the levels are longer. It's much harder and you are confronting Doom 2 monsters straight on level 1.

Glitches:

In map 1, the Lost Soul attack sound is shortened (and sounds loads better).

In map 2, the music only plays once and doesn't loop.

Not a glitch in the game as such but there are only 30 levels, not two new 30-level episodes as it states on the box. The wording is really ambiguous. No secret levels.

In Ballistyx, when you are further into the map and get an outdoor view you can see a hidden exit. This is a deathmatch exit, not a secret level. (Nearly drove ourselves mad back in the day, trying to work out how to reach the exit)

There are some genuinely good maps. The lack of in-game saving and generally menacing feel of each map hash always put PSX Doom over the original PC version for me.

Be aware that many (most?) of the best maps from the PC version are missing. No Open Season, no Stronghold, no Steel Works, no Pharaoh, no Caribbean, no Mill, no Central Processing, no River Styx, no Caged, no Realm, no Hunted, no Speed, no The Twilight, no Go 2 It, no Tombstone, and no Odyssey of Noises. Even the Master Levels were butchered. All the Flynn and Kvernmo maps, which were by far the best of the bunch, are gone.

At least they kept out Habitat.

Yeah PSX was way more atmospheric, I have a genuine hatred of Quarry and Ballistyx now.

The Mastermind also features on the cast of characters at the end, but isn't in the game itself..

You know...since Ghost Town was Map27 they could have easily put at least one in >=(

Processing you say no Hunted but there was no Arch-vile anyway, because they "couldn't do it justice."
They didn't do Revenant justice either, but it's still there -.-

Final Doom is essentially PSX Doom with different levels, music, etc. They didn't bother to change up the cast of characters sequence at the end, though.

Sodaholic said:

Master Levels is just a collection of various fanmade levels turned commercial

That is incorrect. The levels were specifically made for that particular project.

Sodaholic said:

Master Levels is just a collection of various fanmade levels turned commercial, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't have a storyline.

PSX Final Doom had a text screen at the end of the master levels chapter all the same:-

http://www.classicdoom.com/doomends.htm#06

Processingcontrol said:

Be aware that many (most?) of the best maps from the PC version are missing. No Open Season, no Stronghold, no Steel Works, no Pharaoh, no Caribbean, no Mill, no Central Processing, no River Styx, no Caged, no Realm, no Hunted, no Speed, no The Twilight, no Go 2 It, no Tombstone, and no Odyssey of Noises. Even the Master Levels were butchered. All the Flynn and Kvernmo maps, which were by far the best of the bunch, are gone.

I must disagree. But for one or two maps, I always thought PSX Final Doom had a better selection of levels than it's bloated PC counterpart, and also took the best of the master levels.

Sodaholic said:

Master Levels is just a collection of various fanmade levels turned commercial, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't have a storyline.

Some of the mappers for Master Levels came up with stories for their WADs. Kvernmo's are about a former demon getting revenge on his cohorts, Flynn's concern an expedition to Titan, and Dr. Sleep's are a send-up of Dante's Inferno.

DoomUK said:
Processingcontrol said:

Be aware that many (most?) of the best maps from the PC version are missing. No Open Season, no Stronghold, no Steel Works, no Pharaoh, no Caribbean, no Mill, no Central Processing, no River Styx, no Caged, no Realm, no Hunted, no Speed, no The Twilight, no Go 2 It, no Tombstone,

I must disagree. But for one or two maps, I always thought PSX Final Doom had a better selection of levels than it's bloated PC counterpart, and also took the best of the master levels.

It would be interesting to know which of the levels that Processingcontrol listed you consider to "bloat" the original.
Yes, Odyssee of Noises has been left out intentionally. ;)

MajorRawne said:

Glitches:

In map 1, the Lost Soul attack sound is shortened (and sounds loads better).

Only on this map? Weird. And yeah, there is something about it that is kinda creepier in a way.

In map 2, the music only plays once and doesn't loop.

I remember thinking I just had a problematic disc and that no one else's had that error.

Not a glitch in the game as such but there are only 30 levels, not two new 30-level episodes as it states on the box. The wording is really ambiguous. No secret levels.

I was really disappointed when, after using a level select cheat, seeing only 30 maps, and thinking, "How could they lie to me?!"

In Ballistyx, when you are further into the map and get an outdoor view you can see a hidden exit. This is a deathmatch exit, not a secret level. (Nearly drove ourselves mad back in the day, trying to work out how to reach the exit)

That fucking claim of the game having over 30 levels once had me running around like an idiot for literally an hour, trying to find the exit.

There are some genuinely good maps. The lack of in-game saving and generally menacing feel of each map hash always put PSX Doom over the original PC version for me. [/B]

Makes it a lot of fun to do speed runs on!