Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Is there an editor that can highlight all "block monsters" lines?

By 'highlight' do you mean shown, like Action Lines are always shown as a different colour?

Anyway, not that I know of, at least not like how the "block sound" lines can be set to a specific colour. Conversely, it's easy enough to go into Find&Replace mode (F3), and look up Linedef Actions (e.g. Script Execute, Ceiling Raise, etc. and highlight them by selecting them all), but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to search and parse linedefs by their properties alone.

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but one way to highlight all your Block Monster linedefs would be to individually select them in Doom Builder, either as you're building or afterwards, then tag them as "Block Monsters."

That way when you go to your comments panel and select that comment, you would see highlighted all of the linedefs set to that comment. :/

schwerpunk said:

By 'highlight' do you mean shown, like Action Lines are always shown as a different colour?

Yes.

schwerpunk said:

This probably isn't what you're looking for...

Hehe yeah, I'd like to do this in a few clicks if possible... Looks like Barry Mead's patch for Yadex has this feature (here: "pressing 'f' lets you find a thing, linedef or sector by its type") but unfortunately I don't have linux anymore so I can't use it.

Maybe make a plug-in request for Doom Builder? I could see this being very useful.

I would love a general ("just search everything") option. Either that, or an enhanced Appearance suite, that lets you customize the appearance of lines by their types.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm looking around for ways to search, highlight, or otherwise delineate Linedefs by their 'flag.' The functionality is already built into Doom Builder, but I just don't know enough about computers to figure out how to activate it for another flag (block monsters, in this case)...

Memfis said:

Hehe yeah, I'd like to do this in a few clicks if possible... Looks like Barry Mead's patch for Yadex has this feature (here: "pressing 'f' lets you find a thing, linedef or sector by its type") but unfortunately I don't have linux anymore so I can't use it.

Type isn't flags.

But a generic "find and highlight all things/sectors/lines/vertices/whatever matching these characteristics" is a good idea.

Yeah, I'm surprised DB doesn't have something like that. It'd also be useful for searching by brightness level. To replace all the damned 255 brightness sectors with actual 256 ones :P

I've been searching for over an hour now, and I'm still at a loss.

The current "Things Filters" creator/editor is incredibly robust and easy to use. If we could have something like that, but with linedefs and sectors, it would be pretty amazing.

The Tag Explorer (it's a plug-in, I guess) is almost there - just needs a few more variables.

Well, Find & Replace mode can already find/replace such exotic items like thing angles, so personally I don't see why finding linedefs by flags should not be supported.

boris said:

Well, Find & Replace mode can already find/replace such exotic items like thing angles, so personally I don't see why finding linedefs by flags should not be supported.

I remember requesting angles specifically because they're used to identify polyobjects*.

(* Could anyone explain why Raven didn't use TID for that instead? Maybe polyobjects are older than TID and they just didn't feel like changing it after adding a TID field to the thing structure.)

I've gone ahead and asked about this functionality on the Doom Builder forum. I'm subscribed to the thread, so with any luck we'll hear back about this soon-ish.

I sometimes use the "block monsters" and "block sound" flags together so that block monster lines are blue. (for making lines visible on the automap, I make them teleport lines without teleport destinations)

schwerpunk said:

I've gone ahead and asked about this functionality on the Doom Builder forum. I'm subscribed to the thread, so with any luck we'll hear back about this soon-ish.

Where exactly did you post? I don't see any recent post on the dev forum.

boris said:

Where exactly did you post? I don't see any recent post on the dev forum.

When I made the query yesterday, I got a message saying my post had to wait to be authorized by an admin. I had just registered. I asked in this thread, to be specific. Still not showing up.

boris: I searched the DRD website, and couldn't find a thing. Is it still in development? In any case, this is excellent news.

schwerpunk said:

When I made the query yesterday, I got a message saying my post had to wait to be authorized by an admin. I had just registered. I asked in this thread, to be specific. Still not showing up.

boris: I searched the DRD website, and couldn't find a thing. Is it still in development? In any case, this is excellent news.

Can't do anything about that registration thing on the DB forums.

You'll have to wait until Tiger compiles a new version and puts it up on the drdteam site.

Also I added the option to find things by their tags. That somewhat overlaps with the thing filter, but it was very easy to add.

That the blocks sounds line color can be set through DB2's general preferences doesn't really make sense. I guess it'd be more logical to have the color settings in the game configurations (and with the possibility to set the colors for all flags).