Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake artist Paul Steed is a goner

I was never a huge fan of Quake (although I'm interested in the game and I would like to get it someday) and I didn't know much about Paul Steed, but it's a shame we lost a great artist for video games like Wing Commander and Quake. He did look in great shape and we'll never know how he died unless if they do an autopsy. My condolences go to his friends and family. RIP dude.

He was a modeler, maybe textures too? He was quite active in quake engine modeling websites/forums from what I remember, providing info as well as his own "fan" contributions (in quotes because he did this while still an id employee, which was really cool).

Paul Steed was a texture/skin artist, to my recollection. Quake 3 Arena's player skins are very much in his style, and I think he probably also contributed to Daikatana (I may be wrong). He has a very distinct "tech flesh" style.

DoomUK said:

Anyone know exactly what he did on Quake/II?

He was a texture and 3D Character/model Artist for the games.

This makes me a sad person -- though he wasn't Doom-era id, I definitely recall his name from the Quake credits. Here's to hoping his art graces the (hopefully not too Lovecraftian) afterlife.

It's a shame for him to die so young, it makes me wonder what the cause of death was..

I have a lot of respect for him because he "took one for the team" in a sense, pushing to bring Doom back to the development table at the cost of his own job.

You helped make one of my dreams a reality, you won't be forgotten.