Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

3 killed in shooting near Texas A&M University

neubejiita said:

This is more reason to pass a ban on illegal small arms

It should be a crime to illegally obtain forbidden weapons!

Technician said:

You know, if everyone was armed this wouldn't have happened.

HAHA! I couldn't hold in that chuckle, sorry.

man, you're like, my favorite person on this forum

Some of the comments found on this article are priceless.

Misty69 said:

Even a felon can go on a site and purchase a pre-1898 firearm with no restrictions or checks .. so banning those past that for the regular populace going through the existing checks are going to fix things ? .. most pre 1898 firearms are just as powerful as modern smokeless powder weapons. You don't even to be 18 years old to purchase one of those. Just a FYI for the anti-gun nuts.

And the rest of the posters are trying to divert our attention to a military related tragedy in Israel...

Technician said:

Some of the comments found on this article are priceless.
And the rest of the posters are trying to divert our attention to a military related tragedy in Israel...

One of my faves:

t0 ofly said:

HEART ATTACKS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN GUNS MAYBE WE SHOULD BAN HEART ATTACKS....

ROMNEY 2012.

Sound logic all-around. News article comments are the best.

Meh, it's hard to care in a lot of ways about gun control law debates. Fire arms are so ingrained in U.S. society that I doubt even passing a complete ban would get them out of common circulation for a long time to come. In many ways, it seems logical that adding stricter gun laws may help prevent shootings like this, and other things... but it also wouldn't do a whole lot because of black market trade anyways. I think a responsible individual with qualified licenses should be able to own firearms (for hunting/'self defense'/sports shooting/etc) under strict laws, so I'd kind of hate to see an out right ban. I highly doubt that you'll ever stop people getting shot up, because it's not the law abiding, sane citizens doing it.

I couldn't really care much either way though. Shootings aren't going to stop in the short term--perhaps in the long term. Sad stuff like this will be happening for the rest of our lives. I do hope a bit that government does impede sports shooters and the like from owning stuff like rifles--I sure as shit am never going to bring a gun to another human, even if my life was threatened, I'm too much a pacifist, but if that's what happens then so be it :/

eargosedown said:

Meh, it's hard to care in a lot of ways about gun control law debates. Fire arms are so ingrained in U.S. society that I doubt even passing a complete ban would get them out of common circulation for a long time to come.

it's really sad to know that regardless of what we do now, shit like this is going to happen for a long time. if it's so inevitable, though, perhaps we should be putting more consideration into the long-term. such a sad situation.

fraggle said:

I wonder if the guy had a Facebook account?

That finally makes damn sense. No Facebook account = one less way for the FBI to track you = one more way to be hidden and be able to commit murder.

No, he doesn't have a Facebook account because he's antisocial and hates people. It's the tell-tale sign of a social outcast. C'mon, it's social networking. If you're not into it, you're not functioning properly, as showcased by this tragedy.

Tango said:

it's really sad to know that regardless of what we do now, shit like this is going to happen for a long time. if it's so inevitable, though, perhaps we should be putting more consideration into the long-term. such a sad situation.

Yeah, I concur. Trafficing of illegal firearms is something that should really see more targeting. I do like my rifles though personally, I'd hate to see a solution where they ban all firearms for sport, but if they don't then you still have the chance of citizens that have gone through rigorous courses using them maliciously.

neubejiita said:

This is more reason to pass a ban on illegal

A ban on something that's already considered illegal is an oxymoron, or, at best, a tautology. It's like passing a law that prohibits breaking the law. Not that this ever stopped people from breaking it.

Mr. T said:

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE DAMMIT

Yeah, sadly this common sense-based argument doesn't cut it anymore. People want you to stop owning and enjoying guns just because of a few isolated tragedies where someone has run amok with them. Expect tools and kitchen utensils and cars to follow, when bizarre mass murders featuring unorthodox methods rise in frequency.

DoomUK said:

People want you to stop owning and enjoying guns just because of a few isolated tragedies

Just a few isolated mass losses of life, nothing too special.

Csonicgo said:

Just a few isolated mass losses of life, nothing too special.

I could go on to point out the number of people meeting untimely and violent ends on the roads all over the world every day, but what's the use?

... because "well other people die too, so what's the problem!!!!" isn't really a good excuse either

i realize it's really hard to draw a line but if one of your family members was shot and killed while watching a batman movie then i think that excuse probably would not fly

Gez said:

It should be a crime to illegally obtain forbidden weapons!

Yet another oxymoron.

• When a weapon is "forbidden" without exceptions, there's usually an explicit illegality in obtaining, owning or using it. I've never heard of partial illegality or cases where you could do some of those things with legal impunity. It's all or nothing.
  • Illegally obtaining anything forbidden IS usually a crime (or more generally, breach of the law) by definition. Unless you meant to distinguish between it being misdemeanors, negligence etc. and wanted to make it a distinguished crime.
It like passing a law that says it's against the law to break the law.

Mr. T said:

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE DAMMIT

Anders Breivik couldn't have killed ~70 people with a knife.

jongo said:

Maes is trollin' hard

One man's troll is another man's gadfly.

pritch said:

Anders Breivik couldn't have killed ~70 people with a knife.

Yeah, the record for a killer running amok with a bladed weapon is about 5-7 victims if I recall correctly. But with training you could surely do "better". And don't forget that massacres happened even before firearms, most of them done with bladed and blunt weapons (though almost always by teams/armies of armed men vs unarmed victims). It's a question of who your victims are, whether they can escape or fight back etc.

Oh and given the right circumstances...

Maes said:

Yet another oxymoron.

It seems I wasn't laying it thick enough. I admit, I couldn't come up with a fourth synonym to insert neatly. I should have said "It should be a crime to illegally obtain forbidden weapons without a license" to make it more obvious I guess.