Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Most unappetizing foods

The only food I've ever eaten that I didn't like was sea urchin. It tasted the way I would imagine rotting swamp plants would taste.

Megalyth said:

The only food I've ever eaten that I didn't like was sea urchin. It tasted the way I would imagine rotting swamp plants would taste.

Yeah, I tried this once and didn't like the texture.

For me it would be umeboshi.

I once ate Rocky Mountain Oysters. They were pretty good, actually not unappetizing at all until I found out that it wasn't chicken. Nobody told me it was, nobody said anything. It really did taste like chicken. Needless to say, I nearly made a scene in the restaurant when I found out.

Anything that's supposed to be tasty but badly made. My attempts at making stews, for instance. They always turn out to be indigestible, flavourless mush.

Krispy said:

I once ate Rocky Mountain Oysters. They were pretty good, actually not unappetizing at all until I found out that it wasn't chicken. Nobody told me it was, nobody said anything. It really did taste like chicken. Needless to say, I nearly made a scene in the restaurant when I found out.

Have to say, didn't understand until I read like the first 5 words of that page, trying not to laugh :S

For me I don't particularly wanna look at Lasagne again, looks like a pile of intestines. Bet it tastes like them too -_-

EDIT: Or was it Taglatelly? I get confused

I'm not known to be a picky eater, and in fact I like strong tastes. However, there a few restricted classes of foods/tastes I really don't like and actually feel bad even with a small taste of them in my mouth. An example that comes to mind are some kinds of pepper/a particular type of "spicy" (e.g. the one found in custard): to me, they taste like soap and are nearly inedible.

However, my very personal cake probably goes to this. Ugh.

Maes said:

this. Ugh.

I hear ya. You mentioned Indian food, which I think is like eating burnt hair rolled into a used diaper and stewed in curry overnight.

Krispy said:

I hear ya. You mentioned Indian food, which I think is like eating burnt hair rolled into a used diaper and stewed in curry overnight.

My gripe was with food using too much coriander and ending up "tasting" like stink bug. Never tasted Indian food, but in my book anything with enough curry should be at least edible...kinda like the old adage that says that you can eat almost anything with enough ketchup or soy sauce on top of it. But I think the coriander/stink bug's dominance is too much to handle for anything else.

This might be a personal thing, but goddamn do I hate wasabi. Seriously, i love most Asian food, but this is the one spice that makes wish I could punch a baby.

Also, foie gras. I find concept generally off-putting.

Snakes said:

This might be a personal thing, but goddamn do I hate wasabi. Seriously, i love most Asian food, but this is the one spice that makes wish I could punch a baby.

Also, foie gras. I find concept generally off-putting.

Funny, when I want to punch a baby wasabi is the one thing I look to curb my violent urgests, for it works without fail.

Sardines; I can't really think of any other food. Maybe sunflower seeds because that's all I ate when I was in Albuquerque and ran out of money.

You need to stop this vendetta against coriander, Maes. Some of us like the stinky stuff.

Ever enjoyed a fine Stilton cheese? Okay, it might not be as amazing as that (oh God, now I want it), but it can be pretty good.

I'm not trying to convert you - if your taste hasn't grown to appreciate it yet, then you'll likely never be able to enjoy coriander. Similar to how some people will never enjoy fish.

Now, fish-haters, what's up with those people!

Confession: I love cilantro. Especially in salsas.

In fact, there's not a lot I don't enjoy... As a kid, I hate yams; also lentils with raisins mixed in. Now I love the former, and reasonably enjoy the latter.

schwerpunk said:

You need to stop this vendetta against coriander, Maes. Some of us like the stinky stuff.

OK. I will stick to be against genital self-amputation and mutilation, then.

EarthQuake said:

Century Eggs...

Anything still alive...

Yes! My chinese friend used to push these revolting abominations on me . I'm pretty much in agreement with you on anything alive as well.

Found something nasty today. You know liver spread? It's somewhat similar...except it was testicle spread. Yep. Grounded balls for you to paste over your slice of bread. For $0.99, it tasted something in between mashed raw chicken that had been left on the counter for a century too long and something from Fear Factor.

One thing I've learned about Asia in general, is that their cultures have had a lot of time to come up with all sorts of crazy things to do to eggs.

I've never even smelled one, but pictures of century eggs always looked beautiful and exotic to me. Balut, on the other hand... *Shudder.*

Fermented octopus mush-thing. It was kind of like surströmming but made with octopus.

Surströmming.

Never ate it but have seen how foul it is, across a number of food review shows on Youtube that I follow (Wreckless Eating, Cult Moo and Just Eat It!) all had hilarious reactions to trying it.

Krispy said:

Some of us like that too.

I think that was statement was pretty much embedded in the joke.

Cilantro is the only common food I really have a problem with. It makes whatever food it's in taste like an auto body shop.

My appetite has been getting increasingly stale lately, mostly due to my irregular sleep schedule, but I'm generally not a very picky eater, and I rarely don't finish everything on my plate. However, I am almost always completely dissatisfied with foods that are not prepared, cooked, frozen, refrigerated or packaged correctly.

- Using a microwave for pretty much anything is extremely repulsive for me. Put it on the stove, in the toaster or in a conventional oven. I don't care if it takes longer.

- Food that has once been opened and is taken out of the refrigerator that wasn't wrapped up in a plastic bag, plastic wrap, or toppleware is basically a plate of fecal matter in my eyes no matter what you do with it.

- Frozen Dinners are the spawn of satan.

- Freezing bread products makes them dry and crumbly and taste like nothing. I'd rather make extra trips to the grocery store to keep up with having fresher bread than to stockpile a bunch of frozen crap.

- Cut up vegetables don't go back in the refrigerator. You use the whole thing or you throw it out. Half a tomato or green bell pepper doesn't last long and gets all moist and nasty.

- Canned fruit or vegetables that are marinated in a syrup or some kinda sugary water makes me gag.

- Seeing bugs in the kitchen or dining room will ruin my appetite. One fly or one ant is okay, but if i see a bunch of fruit flies or spider webs, I can't eat.

- I like my vegetables to be cut or diced fine, and tuna and mashed potatoes need to be fully mashed. Giant chunks of tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce is gross, I won't finish a tuna sandwich if it's too chunky, and mashed potatoes should not have to be chewed.

I'll try anything once. If it tastes good then I don't care what it's made from (unless I know it'll kill me).

The things I find I like the least are some of the more greasy and gelatinous Chinese concoctions. I'm ok with century eggs, but sometimes I find something I hate. They can keep their pig stomach. I'll have the bugs on sticks instead; those are tasty.

I can't believe this thread on gone on for this long without a mention of Natto. WTH!

I've eaten grasshoppers before without freaking. I don't really like (whole) raw baby squid though. Their innards taste like the ocean, which is appropriate I guess but nasty.

DoomUK said:

Obligatory:-

Ugh!!!!! what the hell!! who would eat that D:

Same goes for Doom_RO..I felt uneasy just thinking about that