Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

Captain Ventris said:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gantlet

Begin debating whether or not someone can base their map off of that word, instead of the common assumption that iD misspelled 'gauntlet'. :P

yeah, i actually was going to pick that one after saying to myself "what the hell is a 'gantlet'?" and looking it up. i still might pick that one as my second choice - not sure.

gantlet and gauntlet mean the same thing, though, as far as i know. i bet American McGee just named it "gantlet" so people didn't assume he was talking about a glove.

schwerpunk said:

I can see why - I have a feeling this project will become very popular, very quickly.

i hope so! there are a billion other projects out there, so that might be fatiguing to some.

schwerpunk said:

I'll just note here for future readers that I'm flexible with my choice. If someone else wants that spot, there are a lot of other choices that I could work with.

Also, I am a newer mapper, and not as familiar with vanilla elements. So if there's a lot of interest, I may go and gracefully bow out altogether. :)

you should absolutely make that map if you want to! i just mentioned it because i have a sense that title might be popular. but anyway, you can let me know if you want something else when the time comes for that.

What is the engine limit on this thing? Doom2, Boom, ZDoom? What are we working with?

TheMionicDonut said:

What is the engine limit on this thing? Doom2, Boom, ZDoom? What are we working with?

i'm pretty sure it says in the first post - vanilla Doom 2 engine. given that it's a different take on the original D2 maps, it makes the most sense to me to use the original engine.

marked Ribbiks down for Gotcha!

GreyGhost said:

I'd like to take a shot at The Factory.

marked you down.

i'm reconsidering letting the maps be Boom-compatible (since limit-removing doesn't really alter the gameplay, just makes editing stuff easier and more stuff possible). i'll think more about this.

also, one thing i want to clarify yet again, just to make sure everyone's on the same page - the idea is not to remake the original maps, but to come up your own idea based on the title of the map. if you can come up with something new that also references the original in an interesting way, great, but in general i want to encourage people to make brand new maps based on their own ideas/interpretations.

Consider MAP16, Suburbs, taken. I've already began work on this thing and have made significant progress. It looks more like a suburb than the original game, while still within the Vanilla limitations!

I would like to take a stab at Map 15 Industrial zone, I don't know why but that map never really got me going. It would be interesting to create a huge industrial theme city map.
Also as port has been discussed, shall we stick to the stock doom 2 textures, or be a little more flexible?

cannonball said:

I would like to take a stab at Map 15 Industrial zone, I don't know why but that map never really got me going. It would be interesting to create a huge industrial theme city map.
Also as port has been discussed, shall we stick to the stock doom 2 textures, or be a little more flexible?

marked you and ShadesMaster down.

i'd like to stick to the stock Doom 2 textures.

I would like to stake my claim on MAP13 Downtown... I've always liked city maps and I wanna have a good old crack.

Also for name of project, Literal Doom 2?

glenzinho said:

I would like to stake my claim on MAP13 Downtown... I've always liked city maps and I wanna have a good old crack.

wow, the city maps sure are popular! marked you down.

i also marked myself down for "Bloodfalls" because i always liked the name. if someone else wants to claim it, though, they're welcome to.

Cheers ella!

I nominate Xaser for the Wolf map... because pwads are already sorta more named after what they are. I mean, people make them and name them and they're usually more spot on than what id chose to name their levels.. in short, give a slot to Xaser because seriously... he's a Xaser!

Shadesmaster, that's a pretty sweet looking shot! GZDoom?

I noticed that the project instructions changed a bit. If I was aware about it, I would probably pick another map, but I think I will stay at MAP19 now.

I'm suggesting to add a new... not rule, but recommendation - that each map should contain one (secret) area that somehow reminds the original Doom 2 map (same looking room, small replica of the entire map or anything) in an interesting/funny way (just an Easter Egg).

One question: are we allowed to use another music for the map? (for example, MAP22 music doesn't fit well to Catacombs)

If there's no deadline on the horizon I'll join the fun and take MAP06 - The Crusher.

Also, I vote vanilla compat. The achievement of making levels fitting the Doom II titles loses it's kudos if you're working with fewer limitations than id did.

scifista42 said:

I'm suggesting to add a new... not rule, but recommendation - that each map should contain one (secret) area that somehow reminds the original Doom 2 map (same looking room, small replica of the entire map or anything) in an interesting/funny way (just an Easter Egg).

Seconded!

purist said:

Also, I vote vanilla compat. The achievement of making levels fitting the Doom II titles loses it's kudos if you're working with fewer limitations than id did.

Seconded as well!

purist said:

I'm fine with that, I think we should be able to use different music if people want to.
Also noted that I will have to create some smart idea to gain access for the secret level, given the size I will be going for in this level it shouldn't be a problem.
Also having a secret which is a room from the original map sounds cool.

I've posted a new thread that has the link to the Doom Alphabet which can be cut and pasted to make custom CWILVxx textures for Vanilla to display the level names on the intermission screen.
*PLEASE DISREGARD! I must be really fucken drunk and overexcited tonight... just occurred to me we are making levels based off of the real names of Doom 2 levels, therefore the alphabet will not be required at this time! Fucking super duh for me! Everyone feel free to laugh and make jokes at my expense. But for other vanilla projects, please feel free to use! Ok, I need to go to bed now...

I'd like to take a stab at The Chasm.

@ShadeMaster: high to the five!

@Ella: you may be a little disappointed when people try for literal maps since they will see the challenge to make a map that actually looks like its namesake (like ShadeMaster has brilliantly done) rather than another abstract map that doesn't really match the name. Nevertheless, I really like that ShadeMaster.

@ShadeMaster: You could do a little trick to make the gas station explode. Put some barrels in a sector that is below ground with no lower texture right next to the gas station. When you walk over a line the floor lowers to highest adjacent floor on those barrel sectors while revealing a chaingunner positioned so that he will soon blow up the barrels. I dunno, someway to make it look like the gas station done exploded.

Hellbent said:

@ShadeMaster: You could do a little trick to make the gas station explode. Put some barrels in a sector that is below ground with no lower texture right next to the gas station. When you walk over a line the floor lowers to highest adjacent floor on those barrel sectors while revealing a chaingunner positioned so that he will soon blow up the barrels. I dunno, someway to make it look like the gas station done exploded.

Alternatively, an in-the-void crusher tripped by a linedef in the map, which crushes a barrel and sets off a chain reaction of exploding barrels? They can either teleport in (but will have the teleport effect in this case) or come in through a two-sided-but-textured wall. Just a thought. ;)

ComicMischief said:

Alternatively, an in-the-void crusher tripped by a linedef in the map, which crushes a barrel and sets off a chain reaction of exploding barrels? They can either teleport in (but will have the teleport effect in this case) or come in through a two-sided-but-textured wall. Just a thought. ;)

Not sure what an 'in-the-void' crusher is, but maybe even simpler just make a sector above the barrels that has no upper texture (it's a sky sector anyway) that crushes the barrels? That'd be a wicked simple (and thus programmicably elegant) solution.

Is there a requirement for the levels to follow a progression in difficulty? I'm guessing so, but this would be an additional challenge, since it's hard for me to test maps that require a higher degree of player skill.

If that's the case, I should probably switch to one of the earlier maps.

I'll claim "Entryway".

EDIT: Also I think this should be vanilla compatible with no new textures except skies.