Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

I'll give MAP24 a try. Always wanted to make something with extreme height variations. :)

Can I change music?

scifista42 said:

I noticed that the project instructions changed a bit. If I was aware about it, I would probably pick another map, but I think I will stay at MAP19 now.

you can change it if you'd like

scifista42 said:

I'm suggesting to add a new... not rule, but recommendation - that each map should contain one (secret) area that somehow reminds the original Doom 2 map (same looking room, small replica of the entire map or anything) in an interesting/funny way (just an Easter Egg).

this is a neat idea, but i'm not going to make it a requirement

scifista42 said:

One question: are we allowed to use another music for the map? (for example, MAP22 music doesn't fit well to Catacombs)

yes, you can use whatever music you'd like.

I'd like to take Monster Condo – which will be about a monster overlord codenamed "Condo", whom you must defeat.

For some reason when I hear "Monster Condo" I think of an internet cafe in Nigeria.

ShadesMaster said:

looks nice! can't wait to see a playable version

glenzinho said:

I nominate Xaser for the Wolf map... because pwads are already sorta more named after what they are. I mean, people make them and name them and they're usually more spot on than what id chose to name their levels.. in short, give a slot to Xaser because seriously... he's a Xaser!

if Xaser wants to do a Wolf map, i'll mark him down (he can even do both Wolf maps if he wants to).

purist said:

If there's no deadline on the horizon I'll join the fun and take MAP06 - The Crusher.

there's no deadline yet. we're not far enough along for that.

also, i agree that we'll stick with vanilla limitations.

Hellbent said:

@Ella: you may be a little disappointed when people try for literal maps since they will see the challenge to make a map that actually looks like its namesake (like ShadeMaster has brilliantly done) rather than another abstract map that doesn't really match the name. Nevertheless, I really like that ShadeMaster.

i mean, someone could make a map called "the suburbs" and it could look like E3M6 - Demon Suburbs! there are different ways of interpreting the title. that's more what i meant by "abstract"

mainly i just want people to not feel like they have to use the same textures or a similar layout to the map of the namesake they've claimed. there has been quite a bit of stuff like DtwID in the past, and i want this to be something different from that.

schwerpunk said:

Is there a requirement for the levels to follow a progression in difficulty? I'm guessing so, but this would be an additional challenge, since it's hard for me to test maps that require a higher degree of player skill.

If that's the case, I should probably switch to one of the earlier maps.

i'm going to say not necessarily. Doom 2 didn't even necessarily follow a predictable progression of difficulty, neither do a lot of megawads (Requiem comes to mind). though if you have one of the first five levels or so, it should be easier. and if of the last five levels or so, they should be more difficult.

Memfis said:

I'll give MAP24 a try. Always wanted to make something with extreme height variations. :)

Can I change music?

Hellbent wanted to claim that one as well. you can claim it, but that means we'll have a vote at the end to decide which one of yours fits better. as long as you're ok with that, i'll put you down.

printz said:

I'd like to take Monster Condo – which will be about a monster overlord codenamed "Condo", whom you must defeat.

that's fine with me :)

ella guro said:

Hellbent wanted to claim that one as well

Whoops, didn't notice it, I'll claim MAP18 then.

ella guro: When we're done should we post a link to our maps in this thread or should we PM them to you?

Processingcontrol said:

ella guro: When we're done should we post a link to our maps in this thread or should we PM them to you?

post them in the thread, please, so anyone can comment (unless you don't want everyone to see it yet). can you even pm on this forum? i actually don't know...heh.

ella guro said:

can you even pm on this forum? i actually don't know...heh.

there's something between "blog" and "email" under every post, but I'm not sure about that. It's too beautiful to be true.

Anyway. This project is going to consist of doom2 map remakes only, right? But can doom 1 map get into as "bonuslevel wildcard?"

Tricks, Traps, and Trolls. Sounds fun. I'll have a go at map08.

Scypek2 said:

there's something between "blog" and "email" under every post, but I'm not sure about that. It's too beautiful to be true.

Anyway. This project is going to consist of doom2 map remakes only, right? But can doom 1 map get into as "bonuslevel wildcard?"

ah, i'm stupid. thanks!

doom 2 remakes for now. if there's interest in it, then people can do a separate doom 1 project if they want.

This is a fantastic idea for a project.

Good luck ella and crew. I look forward to where this goes.

Processingcontrol said:

Also I think this should be vanilla compatible with no new textures except skies.

How would we do this in Vanilla without changing the sky for an entire episode?

Gez said:

I just worry about vanilla's nasty limits.

We should look at it like a good challenge, though I share your concern. Mainly because I like using flats as SideDefs and vice versa in limit removing... But sometimes creativity can be enhanced by working within boundaries, gives it a clear direction.

Oh hey, this is picking up steam for sure! Cool then. :)

Note that if we're going truly vanilla compatible, be sure to outline on the first post that this includes vanilla seg and visplane limits (unless you don't, in which case say "limit removing" instead). A link to Chocorenderlimits would be nice, too, as well as a big bold disclaimer that everyone should test everything in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom throughout the entire development process, even if one is a default-ZDoom nut like me. That really can't be stressed enough.

Also, I can tentatively claim Wolfenstein if everyone's okay with the fact that I probably won't be able to start it for a couple of months. <_<

glenzinho said:

How would we do this in Vanilla without changing the sky for an entire episode?

as much as i'd like to change the skies, i think they gotta stay. we're making maps within the same theme of the Doom 2 maps, after all, using all stock textures.

glenzinho said:

We should look at it like a good challenge, though I share your concern. Mainly because I like using flats as SideDefs and vice versa in limit removing... But sometimes creativity can be enhanced by working within boundaries, gives it a clear direction.

definitely. i want the limitations of "this map has to fit this title" to help people be more creative.

Xaser said:

Note that if we're going truly vanilla compatible, be sure to outline on the first post that this includes vanilla seg and visplane limits (unless you don't, in which case say "limit removing" instead). A link to Chocorenderlimits would be nice, too, as well as a big bold disclaimer that everyone should test everything in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom throughout the entire development process, even if one is a default-ZDoom nut like me. That really can't be stressed enough.

will chocolate Doom run limit-removing vanilla? i have to admit that i had just assumed limit-removing = Boom. my default feeling would be to say that everything should run on the same engine that Doom 2 ran on. which means testing everything thoroughly in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom.

Xaser said:

Also, I can tentatively claim Wolfenstein if everyone's okay with the fact that I probably won't be able to start it for a couple of months. <_<

that's fine! i'll mark you down. would you like to claim Map 32: Grosse as well?

Here's Entryway.

I'm surprised how quick it took me to make this. The last map I finished took me months, and this one took me only a day. Pretty satisfied how it came out too.

Processingcontrol said:

Here's Entryway.

Looks great! Gonna have to up my game I see...
Just played it, man I loved it! Great chaingun fest. A lot of enemies who are perfect for a chaingun run, and just the right amount of difficulty for an opener, and it has an entryway!

wow, that was quick! i love the entryway! i have some gripes about the monster placement, though. i'll let you know after i get a chance to play it more thoroughly.

Here is the beginning area of my Downtown map:

The idea being that you've parachuted to this helipad on top of a tall building, with the bonus of grabbing the backpack too...

you might want to go with a different floor texture, glenzinho. otherwise, it's a goofy idea and i like it!

"Interpretive Doom" doesn't quite have the right ring to it, for me.

hehehe any suggestions for the floor texture for the parachute? Anybody?
I always like to give an explanation for why in the hell you got to the start of the map... now if only GreyGhost can finish his map at a Plane or Helicopter ;)

I think he means the floor lights. It looks too busy to me. I'd be tempted to indent the 'H' rather than raise it too. Finally, will the detailing for the parachute cause problems in vanilla? Seems like a lot of sidedefs were needed to make that details, not sure if it might be a VPO issue.

If I understood correctly, it's not VPO here but possibly drawsegs. VPO would happen if there were too many flats?

purist said:

I think he means the floor lights. It looks too busy to me. I'd be tempted to indent the 'H' rather than raise it too.

actually it's she, but yes that's what i meant :)

i guess the only sure-fire way to test for an issue would be to keep playing it in chocolate/vanilla doom.

Fired it up in Chocolate, no problem on startup, but when I left the area and came back I got the No Vis_Planes crash... is this for flats or sidedefs? I'm assuming sidedefs, and what's the limit? I forgot how difficult Vanilla mapping is! I'm spoiled by sourceports...