Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
InvertCube

Puzzles in Doom? Oh no!

StairFix.wad - oh god, it's the first puzzle from puzzler.wad all over again! I have just one question: WHY ruin a cool idea by swapping the switches so that the player has no way to determine which switch is connected to which platform without trial&error/memorization? That's so annoying. It would be so much more fun to me if each switch and each platform had huge numbers written on them so I could understand what they do.
Maybe I'm just too stupid for this.

Memfis said:

I have just one question: WHY ruin a cool idea by swapping the switches so that the player has no way to determine which switch is connected to which platform without trial&error/memorization?

Spoiler

Ceiling brightness.

I generally like puzzles and it's interesting to see them in a Doom game. But I didn't bother finishing the "Revenant Blast" one after seeing the second part...

Well, I tried your stair puzzle and made about 3% progress and gave up. I recorded an FDA of me bitching and moaning for about 17 minutes and I am going to upload it here and you WILL watch it.

Alright, I suppose I'll try the other puzzle.
Failed that puzzle, too. Also recorded an FDA that I will uploading in a bit.

Hellbent said:

Well, I tried your stair puzzle and made about 3% progress and gave up. I recorded an FDA of me bitching and moaning for about 17 minutes and I am going to upload it here and you WILL watch it.

Alright, I suppose I'll try the other puzzle.
Failed that puzzle, too. Also recorded an FDA that I will uploading in a bit.

Sounds like fun, I'll enjoy watching you suffer.
But in all seriousness maybe I made these too hard.

I've decided to put all my LPs of your puzzle in one post.

I'm gonna do part two to this. Well see how many videos it will take before I solve the puzzle. I ain't giving up yet, tho. Sorry for bashing your puzzle throughout the video--it's just in fun. :) no hard feelings.

What? No soul sphere? No BFG? Where's my fat reward and ticket home? I beat your stinkin' puzzle. I think it's ingenious. Tedious, but ingenious. And really not overly hard. It just takes a little care and desire to complete it. I was really kinda hoping there'd be a cool something in the exit chamber. Next time you do a puzzle like that you should do something to reward the player for their hard works. I'll have the videos of me beating it in a bit. It took me a total of one hour, 8 minutes. O_L

Hellbent said:

...Where's my fat reward and ticket home?...

Oh, I didn't think about that. Perhaps there should be some kind of visual reward. (or the evil/trolling option that the exit door doesn't even open. ;D )

Anyways I realized two things while watching your video. For one the puzzle is definitely missing some kind of tutorial/explanation as figuring out how it works may be more difficult than the puzzle itself! This could be seen as part of the challenge but I can see that that part is very frustrating and not so fun. Maybe there should be different sections of the puzzle that have a progression so that it starts with a single step then a 2x2 grid then the 3x3 grid.

The other thing I realized is that in a port that is not OpenGL such as regular zdoom it is much harder to differentiate the light gradients that signify which step the platforms in the 3x3 grid are connected to.

The goal of the puzzle is to get the height from the brown pillars surrounding the 3x3 grid in the middle (starting with the lowest) to the platforms on the 3x3 grid that correlate to the stair platforms in the back from lowest to highest.

Here's the key (SPOILERS) for the stair puzzle for anyone who needs help (level as seen from above):

(Stairs:)
(exit)8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

(3x3 Grid:)
-------7-6-1
-----8|0|8|7|5
-----4|5|3|6|
------|2|1|4|3

(Switches:)
------0--8--7

------5--3--6

------2--1--4

*Number refers to height and/or tag
*Switches make correlating tagged platforms raise to next higher adjacent floor
*Solve for platforms '1' first
*Go to lower left corner to reset all platforms

I'm not sure I follow your diagram, but I came up with a way to keep track of the craziness in your puzzle. :)

Hellbent said:

...I'm not sure I follow your diagram...

It is supposed to be the level from above view but it is hard to draw with text.

I've put all 3 parts of my LPs of your puzzle in one post. Make sure you watch part 2 first as part 3 picks up right where part 2 left off (and you don't want to miss a second of the action!). Sorry the videos are so long. I am not so smart.

Note, the video bogs down when I start jotting down notes... sorry about that.

No dude, I'm gonna implement SHA256 in Boom format and make the player reverse it, that'd be the ultimate puzzle.

Krispy said:

What's the object of the other puzzle?

I don't know, but I spent 20 minutes or so running around it speculating on what I should do:

It's more of a test of agility and luck, and less one of intellect, but anyway, revenant blast spoiler.

Spoiler

You've got to kill a baron to teleport to another platform where you have to kill a cyberdemon to teleport to the next level. In both cases, the monster occupies the teleport square, so as long as it's stupidly alive, you can't live.

In the first area, you have to align yourself with the two revenants and the baron. Move a bit to the side so that the revenants can see you and throw their tracers. When they do, move to the other side, so that the missile will curve back to reach you and be intercepted by the baron. Repeat until the baron dies. Once the process is over, go grab the megasphere before you teleport, you'll need it.

In the second area, revenants everywhere will constantly throw tracers at you. The cyberdemon is stuck in place. Basically, you have to circle-strafe around the cybie like if you were in a slaughtermap and try to dodge all the projectiles flying around willy-nilly while you get as many revenant tracers to impact the cyberdemon. You may want to wait a bit so that the cyberdemon kills a lot of revenants while you accumulate a huge herd of tracers following you (it's kinda neat how they have additive translucency in ZDoom, giving them the look of a single fiery projectile of doom). However, do not expect to be able to get 100% kills on that map anyway. As soon as the cyberdemon bites it, run away to safety.

I got 31% kills at completion.

can't you put that in spoiler code? I started reading your post and you immediately go into spoiler mode. I vant to feeger it out mah self! (and curse all the while).

Edit: I beat it. Will upload my bitching LP in a few hours.

Edit: I'm going to try to make a puzzle wad. I hope I can come up with something decent. :) The puzzle is going to be to build a bridge to cross a lava pool.