Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Just a tidbit

Taken from the "history" section of id's newly redesigned homepage:

id Software is currently hard at work creating the next chapter in the DOOM legacy, building a new adventure based on the storyline of the original masterwork. Featuring a new, mind-blowing gaming engine from John Carmack, the closely guarded, un-named project is in development, and in true id fashion, will be released "when it's done."

The question is how to interpret the part I have "bolded".
Could "a new adventure" mean that they're working on an actual sequel?

I'm thinking it pretty much means they're going to take off from where the game left off in doom2. I don't think they're going to make a sequel to final doom.

SCORE!!111

OMG THEY REDESIGNED OH GOD THE SKY IS FALLING AND THERE'S ANOTHER HOST IN BLUES CLUES!!1!$$

EDIT : take a look at the id staff...Andy Chang? Pat Duffy? Matt Hooper? Steve Rescoe?

Where did these guys came from?

Zaldron said:

EDIT : take a look at the id staff...Andy Chang? Pat Duffy? Matt Hooper? Steve Rescoe?

Where did these guys came from?

Janitors?

Google to the rescue...

Andy Chang : Artist. Worked in KISS Psycho Circus. That means both Third Law Interactive and Tremor Entertainment.

Pat Duffy : Media Artist. I have no idea who's this guy. Mobygames doesn't know either apparently, unless "Pat" is short for something else. EDIT : was or is a member of the Radiant Web Staff. That means this guy probably made the redesign.

Matt Hooper : Level designer. Third Law Interactive, Monolith and Tremor, Ritual Entertainment, ION. Worked in Daikatana and before that on Ritual's Quake 1 mission pack : Scourge of Armagon.

Steven Rescoe : Mobygames has no idea. According to the "Who's Who in Quake" database he was a ION mapper.

Zaldron said:

Google to the rescue...
Pat Duffy : Media Artist. I have no idea who's this guy. Mobygames doesn't know either apparently, unless "Pat" is short for something else. EDIT : was or is a member of the Radiant Web Staff. That means this guy probably made the redesign.

Isn't he the guy from Step-by-Step?

damn zaldron, sounds like you're a member of the FBI getting info on a multimillion dollar deal! =]

Zaldron said:

Andy Chang : Artist. Worked in KISS Psycho Circus and it's expansion (The Nightmare Child). That means both Third Law Interactive and Tremor Entertainment.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I think "The Nightmare Child" was the subtitle of the KISS game, not its expansion. In fact, I don't think the KISS game even rated and expansion.

You're right. Mobygames fucked up on that one. Fixed now.

Apparently Third Law evolved into Tremor, a X-box focused company.

That's odd. We never heard anything about new hires ; maybe they're outside advisors or something.

And "a new adventure based on the storyline of the original masterwork" could just as well be a remake.

building a new adventure based on the storyline of the original masterwork

After I thought about it, they could mean that you play the game like the original, only from a different perspective. The other marine we see on the original cover for DooM perhaps?

I hope not, I want an actual sequel, maybe a prequel would be good, well actually, I don't know, I probably won't pay much attention to the story line either way.

DooMBoy said:

I have a strong feeling id will re-create Doom 1.

wheeeew, you're alweys wrong so I'm not worried anymore =]

What's there to be worried about ? I don't care for the 'story' of Doom or Doom II. Whatever story there may be, the setting is much more important.

well, the setting is different depending on the story. And if the story as in the first doom it will be in phobos, deimos, and then hell. I want something new, anyone can remake doom1 after the newdoom is out, or even make an improved version of it that's nice and pretty.

I wouldn't mind a remake anymore - they could improve the original storyline drastically and add a lot to it.
Now a prequel I'm convinced, would suck imho, but that's just my opinon.

I imagine a prequel only as a sort of ripoff of the original Doom1 storyline - UAC (because we know that the UAC is in the new game) conducts experiments on gateway tech BEFORE Doomguy arrives on Mars, gateway opens up portal to Hell - Doom 1 all over again, just without good ol' Doomguy (and I would NOT approve of that!).

No gimme a real sequel, most prequels screw up the original storyline and basically ain't as good as a sequel might be. Or a good remake would be fine too.

Sequels are far more easy to screw up than prequels. Besides what sequel?

I mean MORE PORTALS TO HELL after all the stuff our poor hero had to suffer? He killed the general, the mastermind, the ruler, the entire army, all the entry points, saved Humanity several times and wiped out every trace of evil left in our Universe.

And you actually want to make a sequel that doesn't come up like the Freddy XXIII "Guess who's back!" syndrome?

why not? It's not unlikely for tragedies to repeat themselves. We had a WWII after all, and we still have school shootings.

Zaldron said:

Sequels are far more easy to screw up than prequels. Besides what sequel?

I mean MORE PORTALS TO HELL after all the stuff our poor hero had to suffer? He killed the general, the mastermind, the ruler, the entire army, all the entry points, saved Humanity several times and wiped out every trace of evil left in our Universe.

And how about the original experimental gateways?
I don't remember seeing any written texts mentioning that they were ever shut down.
And to all of you who think the Doomguy's too insane to take on Hell's hordes: Insanity could prove to be his most useful weapon against Hell AND the reason why he would go to Hell a third time.

I'm surprised you all haven't heard of half the names in that list of four, there. Andy Chang and Matt Hooper have had .plan accounts under id's name for about six and a half weeks now. They're even credited in Wolf3D for the Gameboy Advance.

thedeepvoice said:

I'm surprised you all haven't heard of half the names in that list of four, there. Andy Chang and Matt Hooper have had .plan accounts under id's name for about six and a half weeks now. They're even credited in Wolf3D for the Gameboy Advance.

Whoa...neato!

thedeepvoice said:

I never check these .plan files anyway - it's not that I care.

Pat Duffy is actually the creator of QERadiant (which eventually became id Software's main editor for Q3-engine games), so he's primarily responsible for things like their editor software and general programming.

It's reasonable to assume that Doom III will relate to doom I&II in the same way that RTCW relates to Wolf 3d.

Lament said:

It's reasonable to assume that Doom III will relate to doom I&II in the same way that RTCW relates to Wolf 3d.

Voila. That's how it should be.

http://www.ua-corp.com

Let me see:
"Our facilities are currently under construction. Check back later."

Can't it mean that their facilities were too damaged after (old) DOOM "events" and they are rebuilding them. Then the id can make a sequel, but the sequel can just simply retell the old story..