Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-12 - It is here. Ready your buns... for burgers.

Tango said:

- added teleport in flag room that leads to raised tunnel in base entryway (1-way)

The teleport line is too close to the wall for the player to teleport. If you pull it out 16 units I think it should be fine and not mess with gameplay much, or you can try moving the pillars back a little.

The Green Herring you missed the new version of my map.
My fault for editing it in instead of posting, here it is again
http://www.mediafire.com/?n5gu7rbvux9z0ef

Not big but MAP19 "Some Tourist Attraction" is missing a player 1 start in version 2a

Are there any maps I can help with?
I feel a bit useless doing nothing

So, I'm back from my weekend trip. What were the thoughts on my map (Face to Face)? Fun? Utter crap? Worth salvaging? What needs changing?

ArmouredBlood said:

The teleport line is too close to the wall for the player to teleport. If you pull it out 16 units I think it should be fine and not mess with gameplay much, or you can try moving the pillars back a little.

god
damnit

how did i not test that. will upload a fixed version today

Solarn said:

So, I'm back from my weekend trip. What were the thoughts on my map (Face to Face)? Fun? Utter crap? Worth salvaging? What needs changing?

The nitro session skipped maps 02-06 at the start so there's not a lot of feedback.
I thought it was a pretty solid map the one time we did play it but it was a pretty short game
You can jump onto those lifts at the sides without lowering them. Dunno if this is supposed to happen
You could put some see-through textures up there like a fence, the current one-side texture stuff isn't a great idea in my opinion.

On the thanks zero map, one can easily jump out the window on the blue side (right by the flag) and into the city. The lines are impassible by the red flag, but not blue.

nub_hat said:

Not big but MAP19 "Some Tourist Attraction" is missing a player 1 start in version 2a

Thanks for the heads up, though I think I'll most likely piss off TGH if I were to reupload it :P

ok, quick review of status quo:

map01 (skillsaw): the flag is too close to the edge and it's possible to bump it with just a sr40 jump! moving it just slightly more into the base will help. needs balancing (1 vs 2 rocket boxes near the side entry). needs removing healths - medkits in blue upper tunnel should go, medkits by the side entrance should be just stimpaks, one of the medkits below the flag should go, the medkits below the central platform should be stimpaks).

map02 (donut): no changes done.. i thought donut remembered what we talked about on irc, heh. i proposed another lift on the other side of the nukage pit so it works as an escape route too. plus the lift is just ssssooo slow on the flag side. :/ the blocking pillars also take forever to come up, so if you use them to prevent someone from doing something and you fail, you're probably stranded on the other side forever (=until they score). what if it was a fast crusher? WHY ARE THERE SO FEW MANUALLY OPERATED CRUSHERS IN CTF?!

map03 (solarn): could you move the ssg's slightly closer towards the corner of the crate that points into the arena? i forgot about a weird effect of two-sided wallrunning (standard ctf behaviour) on bumping items that was introduced in zdaemon 1.09, making them much harder - almost impossible in this case (although that behaviour seems to be consistent with chocodoom hacked to allow 2-sided wallruns!)

map04 (jimmy): i suspect the blue armors might be overkill, another set of green armors might be sufficient. someone else should confirm if i'm right or not.

map05 (nubhat): ooo, windows, teleporters, direction arrows! good! you can add even more arrows if you feel like it, it'd help quick navigating even more!

map06 (tgh): all done.

map07 (xutawoo): as i said before, i believe the map needs ssg instead of the sg in front of the flagroom. also some spawns should be moved into the open (and given sg's).

map08 (mek/shai): someone said this map needed more interconnectivity so people have more of an idea what's going on and where the other people are... this is quite right. in the current state you pick a track and there's just one or two places where it intersects with the other tracks (if you don't count rocketjumping). shorter barriers for visibility, lifts for accessibility from the lower levels... if there's time to play with that stuff, it'd help making sense of the gameplay.

map09 (rott): needs tentacles that'd come from the lava and violate your fragile frame. it's ready otherwise.

map10 (luca): i like what you did with the mid! small nitpick, people might rj over these and hide in those alcoves, so one of these options should counter it! i think the former might look better visually.

map11 (alex): all done.

map12 (donut): yess, bases are saner now. thank you!

map13 (llewellyn): a definite improvement. now if defenders spawn downstairs while their flag is being taken they can rush to the other base via teleports. you should throw them a bone shaped like the ssg though, they won't do much on the lift with just the sg. :) the mid looks better, i wonder how the grates will work.

map14 (zap): the marathon map will be missed... heh. anyways, last nitpick: this looks ugly if you jump towards it.

map15 (skillsaw): unchanged, but it's not necessary. the map's a funny gimmick and the layout won't work for some high tier ultra-balanced ctf no matter how it's tweaked.

map16 (devon): needs finishing. D:

map17 (pavera): needs tweaking. the flag-lift is cumbersome, playtesting proved that. the switch should probably build temporary stairs to the flag, or something like that.

map18 (pickle): should be fine. looking at it... how about putting those base armors behind the flag? you know, to justify the space behind the fence, to make it slightly harder to swipe and to break that silly 3-armor visual line, haha.

map19 (bloodyacid): should be good to go.

map20 (ivan): all done.

map21 (wartorn): should be good, the changes seem all beneficial. the slight asymmetry on mid is interesting, hopefully it won't advantage one team for grabbing BA.

map22 (ab/tango): fix the teleport haha. should be a big improvement otherwise.

map23 (40oz): no changes. they're not necessary, but i'd like to see my meddling ideas realized, of course!

map24 (whoo): no changes. needs to fix the fence on one of the bfg platforms and remove plasmas. some more minor tweaks mentioned previously would help too.

map25 (watermelon): no changes, the elevator is still slow as hell.

map26 (pcontrol): no changes since the first update. needs that bugged conveyor reversed, teleport destinations should lead somewhere to the middle, not the whole way to the opposing tele platform.

map27 (tgh): all done.

map28 (pickle): why would you improve perfection?

map29 (seclatus): the rich item placement prolly means it will be too busy for 3v3 (huge stacks mean overpowered runners), but larger games should be just fine. also the visuals are ridiculous.

map30 (tod): this is by far the craziest, gimmickiest ctf map ever.

map31 (xaser): this goes a bit over my head, it's completely different from your regular doom ctf. don't worry about changes i guess.

map32 (xaser): map's ridiculously good looking, but!!!

map33 (42/tango): fine by me, i haven't found the bug reported by donut.

map34 (donut): it's still quite a maze, but the floor painting should ease navigation. i can't say much more, cause i missed the map in playtesting.

map35 (dusk): no changes? i think?

map36 (dusk): no changes needed.

map37 (kass): weirdo map, but it looks quite good and it pisses me off i missed it during the playtesting. it should be okay now, but gameplay is a bit hard to judge for me, hehe.

(i did grab all updated maps up to this point not included in 2a)

Thanks for the suggestions dew. I'm about halfway through with detailing (spending entirely too long on it so hopefully I don't wreck the gameplay) so I can probably throw some extra shortcuts and routes in here somewhere.

I am going to get around to map02 dew, dont worry. I just wanted other feedback and then I heard that update period it more than 24 hours. I'm also figuring out how to do it right. Its happening though. :)

Also, did I mention I am moving into my dorm this week?

tmd: i think that bug was eliminated in the latest version of Thanks Zero, but i'll double check.

and thanks for the feedback dew!

http://www.speedyshare.com/GzUjU/splatter2.wad

Splatterday Night Fever update:
Time: ~35 minutes

Updates:
-Choke gate shortened from nine seconds to four seconds
-Added platform in poison pit for flag.
-Switch to escape lift in poison pit now lowers flag platform with three second delay.
-Second switch added in center of team base; also lowers platform with three second delay.
-Added second lift to escape pit on opposite end of pit, has three second delay.
-First lift now moves faster and has one second delay instead of five.
-Rocket Launcher added in former flag location
-Various Health kits were moved

nub_hat said:

The nitro session skipped maps 02-06 at the start so there's not a lot of feedback.
I thought it was a pretty solid map the one time we did play it but it was a pretty short game
You can jump onto those lifts at the sides without lowering them. Dunno if this is supposed to happen
You could put some see-through textures up there like a fence, the current one-side texture stuff isn't a great idea in my opinion.

The ability to get to the side lifts without lowering them was not originally intended, but it adds to the fast pace of the map, so I like it. I did change the midtextures up there though, I have no idea why I thought the original ones would look good.

dew said:

map03 (solarn): could you move the ssg's slightly closer towards the corner of the crate that points into the arena? i forgot about a weird effect of two-sided wallrunning (standard ctf behaviour) on bumping items that was introduced in zdaemon 1.09, making them much harder - almost impossible in this case (although that behaviour seems to be consistent with chocodoom hacked to allow 2-sided wallruns!)

I moved them slightly closer to the inside of the arena, I hope that solves the issue.
http://www2.zshare.ma/d706dvonba1l Here's the updated map.

Solarn said:

I moved them slightly closer to the inside of the arena, I hope that solves the issue.

the WOODMET crate works, the CRATE2 is trickier because of geometry. it's definitely not as easy as the other one, you need to bump specific spots of the crate - might be good to move it even slightly more. sorry for the hassle. :)

donut: i really like the new nukage setup! especially how you can risk a jump on the flagstand from the sides, but if you fall, it's gonna suck for you, heh.

btw about the crusher stuff we talked about - the only working setup i could hack up was action 21019 on the switch (turbo SR crusher) and action 186 on the crusher itself (slow ceiling raise). if one really manages to kill a flagger with the crusher, there would be a second fight to pick the flag up as the crusher slowly comes up, haha.

EDIT: disregard that, it only traps the player inside the wall, hurting him ever so slightly. 40% health damage for getting compressed to a pancake? who knew, i'm gonna try this in real life!

http://www.mediafire.com/?3xo99bwmqi1biq1

Update to "This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man" to fix the stuff dew commented about. Things should be better now.

I was going to do some extra visual tuning but I just don't have the time this week so this is the best I can do.

Also, I had some ideas on how I was going to detail "Mark it Zero" but as it's really a pretty bad layout I don't think I'm going to spend the time on it... I'm fine with it as it is.

Updated my map again.

*Added some steps in the pits with the spiral staircases right before the flags
*Made the theme between the two bases a little more different
*Added some happiness and sadness to the map, as well as more mudmen performing shenanigans.

Well, here's the detailed version of wood textures something or other:

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-12/mekshai-lookwoodtextures_detailed.wad

Sorry for the stupid amount of detail. Sorry for not including enough wood textures so the name would make sense. And sorry for taking so long. Hopefully all that work was worth it. I guess I'll post some screenshots in a few minutes. Note that I did make some gameplay changes (couple different routes/shortcuts and minor thing changes) as per dew's suggestions.

By the way, music is from here.

*edit*

I just re-uploaded the map after fixing a sky wall bug I overlooked.

I would love to say "Great job, Mechadon" and congratulate you for a detail job well-done, but your updated level crashes Odamex when I try to test it. Oh well, at least the 3D Mode view looked nice.

Hmm, any idea why? I only tested in PrBoom+ and ZDoom but it worked fine in those ports. Well at any rate, I'll look into it.

After further testing, it would appear that Odamex is one of the few ports that don't support doubled SEGS limits, which may be the reason your level makes it crash. I'll have to wait for an Odamex developer to confirm this, though.

Oh...uh, whoops :P. Guess I didn't even think about the SEGS limit. If that's the case, then that sucks. I'm 20K~ish over the limit.

Well I'll post some screenshots at least:

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-12/Screenshot_Doom_20120824_223037.png
http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-12/Screenshot_Doom_20120824_223120.png
http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-12/Screenshot_Doom_20120824_223143.png
http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-12/Screenshot_Doom_20120824_223221.png

*edit*

Just updated the map again to fix a 1-sided line with the double-sided flag (don't know how that happened) and a couple other minor bugs. I won't mess with it anymore tonight. Link should be the same as the before.