Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Varying Anticipation of Megawads

I've never played Community Chest myself, infact I haven't played any Megawad properly yet, but I was just wondering why some Megawads are more anticipated than others, CC4 being an example.

I agree that having an active thread displaying the thoughts and actions of the parties involved makes people more eager. Since others can see the effort and progress being made firsthand.

Yeah, I just didn't really understand why CC4 has, not only it's own thread, but it's whole Subcategory in Special Interest.

I'm sure CC4 will be great but it didn't make sense why that gets more attention than..say TNT2, which as an IWAD Sequel I would've thought would be *drones on*

Thanks for your replies :)

Eris Falling said:

I'm sure CC4 will be great but it didn't make sense why that gets more attention than..say TNT2, which as an IWAD Sequel I would've thought would be *drones on*

you're new around here, so i'll give you a hint: don't call tnt2 a sequel to tnt. not in this 'hood.

Ive been pressing Whoo to name it TMT 1.666, but no dice so far.

TMNT Doom.

dew said:

you're new around here, so i'll give you a hint: don't call tnt2 a sequel to tnt. not in this 'hood.

And is Plutonia 2 a sequel to Plutonia?

printz said:

TMNT Doom.
And is Plutonia 2 a sequel to Plutonia?

Apparently. There are a set of unwritten, indistinguishable, yet strictly enforced rules as to what is a sequel and isnt. The only thing that has consistency these days are the Community Chests, mostly because they are in-house.

No matter what you think, TNT2: Devilution IS a fan-made sequel to TNT: Evilution just like Plutonia 2 to Plutonia. Other than that is only matter of personal taste and self-canon (as for HR2 to HR, STRAIN to Doom 2 etc).

I can't wait for Plutonia 3, because I loved Plutonia 2. Revisited felt more like a sequel to the first than 2. Not that this is bad either, but I loved Plutonia 2.

Yeah, this one had challenging, yet never unfair gameplay full of non-stop tension. Revisited as remake of first one was superior to PL1 but inferior to PL2.

dew said:

Um...it is a sequel...read the thread.

It's all a popularity contest. The amount of anticipation a megawad gets is determined by a complex series of brainwashing techniques that have been meticulously perfected over many years by Brandon D. Lade. Somehow he is able to burrow into our subconscious minds and transform his passionate opinions about wads into our own. Doomworld has tried to fight his power over us, but he's too strong and keeps returning.

TimeOfDeath said:

It's all a popularity contest. The amount of anticipation a megawad gets is determined by a complex series of brainwashing techniques that have been meticulously perfected over many years by Brandon D. Lade. Somehow he is able to burrow into our subconscious minds and transform his passionate opinions about wads into our own. Doomworld has tried to fight his power over us, but he's too strong and keeps returning.

Brandon D. Lade, a modern Professor Moriarty. Is he Doomworld's final problem?

Eris Falling said:

I've never played Community Chest myself, infact I haven't played any Megawad properly yet, but I was just wondering why some Megawads are more anticipated than others, CC4 being an example.

It's all about hype/publicity, generated from various things including the names of the mappers (celebrity culture is everywhere), screenshots, demo maps/vids, beta testing and how well-known the project is before release. (community megawads tend to have the edge on these for obvious reasons)

Yeah, I just didn't really understand why CC4 has, not only it's own thread, but it's whole Subcategory in Special Interest.

The CC series was first started in 2002 on these boards, and I believe (not entirely sure though) it was the first "community megawad" of it's type. CC1 was handled in normal threads (bottom 4), so for the sequels a sub-forum was used to make it easier to keep track of stuff.

It mostly depends on what the name of the wad is. Knee Deep In ZDoom is another one that had so much hype. The TNT sequel is another example that a few people have already touched up on.

Is Brandon D. Lade also MegaDoomer?

Personally I think the first three posts nailed it (GRB, printz, Use3D). Seeing a host of famous mappers boosts anticipation, seeing their pictures makes people drool, and constantly seeing topics booted up to the front page can implant subconscious reminders in your head.

Also name-brand. Most Doomers know what Plutonia, TNT, and Community Chest is, so seeing a "sequel" to it already establish a notion that the megawad is polished and balanced.

Eris Falling said:

CC4 started before TNT 2, and as the name implies, it's the fourth one in its series.

Plus when you check out some of the maps that are in it (ex: kassman's,) you'll understand.

GBT3 said:

No matter what you think, TNT2: Devilution IS a fan-made sequel to TNT: Evilution just like Plutonia 2 to Plutonia.

I'm going to have to say this is the best explanation. TNT "2," isn't an official sequel, but rather a fan made project meant to unofficially expand TNT beyond the original 32 maps (whilst also attempting to maintain TNT's original level design scheme.)

When I originally started it back in 2009 (it didn't have a name back then,) I found myself making maps that looked an awful lot like the last 10 maps of TNT. I proceeded to ask Alter if he'd want to try making a fan-made sequel to TNT with me, and after about two months we had a three map demo.

At first I was unsure if it would be received positively, but after being told by Ty Halderman to pretty much "go for it if you want," I decided to go ahead and post it here.

TheMionicDonut said:

Ive been pressing Whoo to name it TMT 1.666, but no dice so far.

Teenage Mutant (ninja)Turtles 1.666? I think that's a pretty good idea.

Whoo said:

CC4 started before TNT 2, and as the name implies, it's the fourth one in its series.

Plus when you check out some of the maps that are in it (ex: kassman's,) you'll understand.

I should eventually...but...

I'm the guy who can't beat Human BBQ on UV, at least, not with 100% Kills, I can't see myself playing Megawads anytime soon :L

Then play on HMP, obviously.
Why do some people think that they are supposed to play on UV even if it would make them to burn alive? UV wont make your genitalia bigger..
Use default HMP difficulty or the one that suit your skills.

you have a point there, I'm usually too stubborn to turn it down >=(
I find UV too hard and HNTR/ITYTD mind-numbingly easy. Never tried HMP..

WildWeasel said:

damn it, when is doom millenium coming out

In December 2993.

Doomguy 2000 said:

What about Mordeth? When is it going to come out? I'm guessing never since it's the Duke Nukem Forever of Doom wads.

This post pretty much explains why Mordeth is progressing so slowly. Most notably it's because Mr Mordeth keeps revising his complete maps every time Eternity updates.

Plus the Urban Brawl guy keeps stealing his computer, forcing him to recreate the whole mod from scratch every time.

printz said:

Most notably it's because Mr Mordeth keeps revising his complete maps every time Eternity updates.

What the hell? Does he really need to use every possible new feature? Or is it because of incompatibilities between old and new versions of EE?