Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GHermann

Segmentation violation in Boom 2.02 and PrBoom 2.02

Recently, I have had the desire to test my latest pwad in Boom 2.02. However every time I try to load it(using the "-file [nameofwad]" command), as soon as I select the difficulty setting and the game tries to load MAP 01, Boom 2.02(and also PrBoom 2.02) bomb out with a "segmentation violation" error. It never bombs out or has problems whatsoever running DOOM2.wad, so this leads me to believe that my level is in some way not compatible with Boom 2.02.

The problem with all this is that when I test my pwad in PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.6, using the "-complevel 9" setting, it runs fine all the time. Shouldn't the "-complevel 9" command, when used within PrBoom-Plus, simulate Boom 2.02? I'm a bit confused. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. If it's any help, the wad features custom midi music. Don't know whether or not that makes a difference.

GHermann said:

The problem with all this is that when I test my pwad in PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.6, using the "-complevel 9" setting, it runs fine all the time. Shouldn't the "-complevel 9" command, when used within PrBoom-Plus, simulate Boom 2.02? I'm7 a bit confused.

It emulates it in all 'positive' manners, but will avoid crashes due to limits and bugs, and will avoid certain types of glitches. Read prb+'s stdout.txt, as this may give a hint as to what is causing (pr)boom 2.02 to bomb out. Or it could be that those older exes are simply unstable on your system.

Grazza said:

Or it could be that those older exes are simply unstable on your system.

Well I'm using DOSBox, and since the DOOM2.wad runs fine always, I figured that it was just my wad that was causing the problem. Then again, I really have no idea :)

Thanks for the tip about the stdout.txt, I'm gonna go read through that now. Also, I tried removing the custom music from the wad and it made no difference, still resulted in a segmentation violation upon attempting to play MAP01. I'm thinking that most wads I've made really aren't compatible with anything less than PrBoom-Plus.

prboom 2.02? How old is this version? I can't even find it...

There are only a limited number of things that will crash BOOM or MBF, and most of them involve data formats they don't understand. Be sure everything is in a plain vanilla DOOM format. Neither support more than 32767 of any map entity, including segs or sidedefs. Neither allow missing nodes or understand anything except vanilla's node format. Neither allow empty BLOCKMAP lumps. Neither allow empty REJECT lumps Neither handle Hexen-format maps. Neither will load or tolerate the presence of .WAV, .PNG, .JPEG, or linear resources where DMX sounds or id graphic patches are expected.

tempun said:

Is your node builder ZDBSP? If so, do you use extended nodes?

My nodebuilder is in fact ZDBSP. Under the configuration for saving the map, I chose "ZDBSP-normal". Based on what I read about them, I do not believe that I am using extended nodes.

Quasar said:

Be sure everything is in a plain vanilla DOOM format. Neither support more than 32767 of any map entity, including segs or sidedefs. Neither allow missing nodes or understand anything except vanilla's node format. Neither allow empty BLOCKMAP lumps. Neither allow empty REJECT lumps Neither handle Hexen-format maps. Neither will load or tolerate the presence of .WAV, .PNG, .JPEG, or linear resources where DMX sounds or id graphic patches are expected.

My REJECT lump is empty. Any idea how I could correct that? Other than that, I seem to pass everything else on that list.

TimeOfDeath said:

3d mode thing?

Nope, I always remove those things when I'm finished with a level.

You may need to use a different node builder. ZDoom has declared the REJECT to be "useless" and so apparently doesn't even do the courtesy of creating one that is filled with the default value.

The builder entitled "BSP" will do this, AFAIK, however. There's a Windows version of it by cph floating around.

Does ZenNode do it correctly? Doom Builder 2 defaults to it when I'm not using ZDoom, and when I asked which is better (ZenNode or BSP-W32) I was replied ZenNode. Plus, it has a cool name.

printz said:

Does ZenNode do it correctly? Doom Builder 2 defaults to it when I'm not using ZDoom, and when I asked which is better (ZenNode or BSP-W32) I was replied ZenNode. Plus, it has a cool name.

ZenNode vs BSP is kind of a religious war I think :P Both are fairly high-quality node builders. Both probably have some glitches too. I know ZenNode used to occasionally drop the offset member of seg_t, which, while also "useless," IS used by vanilla DOOM.

Downloaded BSP nodebuilder and ran it on my pwad and...presto! Whatever the heck it did worked perfectly, and now I'm at MAP 06 of my levelset with zero problems thusfar using Boom 2.02, running in DOSBox. Thanks a ton for that recommendation!

Quasar said:

You may need to use a different node builder. ZDoom has declared the REJECT to be "useless" and so apparently doesn't even do the courtesy of creating one that is filled with the default value.

Indeed, a crying shame. Taking that stance not only negates the very real benefit of REJECT, but since the code that checks REJECT data still exists, the penalty for doing so still exists. I don't understand.

Quasar said:

You make it sound like there is some ZDoom conspiracy to be incompatible. ZDBSP will only create a 0-length REJECT lump if you pass it the -r option. Otherwise, it creates a full sized one filled with zeros, just like most other nodebuilders do.

Moriarti said:

You make it sound like there is some ZDoom conspiracy to be incompatible. ZDBSP will only create a 0-length REJECT lump if you pass it the -r option. Otherwise, it creates a full sized one filled with zeros, just like most other nodebuilders do.

Actually I was only extrapolating from previous statements by Graf Zahl in combination with the behavior this user ran into. If that is indeed the case, then I am going to assume Doom Builder is probably passing -r to ZDBSP by default, and it should probably stop doing that.