Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Neil Armstrong dies aged 82

RIP Armstrong. Forever Rest in Peace, and yah, this is probably the one that deserves the most news/attention.

Also, damn, that's a lot of deaths in say, a week and a half or so?

As a 'Space Nerd' I am quite saddened by this loss. Armstrong was undoubtedly one of - if not THE - most important person in Space Exploration so far.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

That is sad news. RIP Neil Armstrong.

PRIMEVAL said:

RIP :( first the director, then the comedian, then the Count, now Armstrong.

Also sci-fi writer Harry Harrison died but nobody noticed, it seems.

Armstrong dead - but what a life.

One of my earliest reasonably reliable memories is sitting watching Neil Armstrong make his "small step" as we all took our "giant leap". The event had me transfixed and even now it is something that absolutely fascinates me and is something that I feel is genuinely awe inspiring.

Now I am sitting here discussing Armstrong's death. I'm not sad for him, 82 years isn't bad, but I do recognise it as the passing and loss of something. R.I.P. Neil Alden Armstrong.

InB4 comments: There you go - a celebrity death that I wasn't dismissive of. :P

Eris Falling said:

As a 'Space Nerd' I am quite saddened by this loss. Armstrong was undoubtedly one of - if not THE - most important person in Space Exploration so far.

Well, he was perhaps the most important face of space exploration. There are other people who could contend for most important in different ways. Honestly, Buzz Aldrin would have been better at that part of the job: he was always far more comfortable with the public and media. Armstrong was picked to command the mission because he could think fast and had balls of steel.

Anyway, he was an inspiration for pretty much everybody (except the conspiracy theorists). Sad to see him gone.

Enjay said:

One of my earliest reasonably reliable memories is sitting watching Neil Armstrong make his "small step" as we all took our "giant leap". The event had me transfixed and even now it is something that absolutely fascinates me and is something that I feel is genuinely awe inspiring.

I'm a little jealous. It's something I've watched many times since it happened of course, but to watch it as it was happening must have been quite an experience.

My facebook wall was filled with people that said the whole thing was a hoax. did a lot of unfriending that day. There's one thing to be skeptical but then there's total idiocy. I hope Buzz has a lot more punches in him to throw at moonhoaxer faces.

Csonicgo said:

My facebook wall was filled with people that said the whole thing was a hoax. did a lot of unfriending that day. There's one thing to be skeptical but then there's total idiocy. I hope Buzz has a lot more punches in him to throw at moonhoaxer faces.

Why not just direct them to that Mythbusters episode where they dispelled all those retarded theories?

DoomUK said:

I'm a little jealous. It's something I've watched many times since it happened of course, but to watch it as it was happening must have been quite an experience.

I mentioned that I was young when it happened (about 4.5) but the fact that I remember it so well, and even now get quite excited, even emotional, about it is an indication in itself that it was indeed quite an experience. If I ever visit the US I will have to make sure I go somewhere near the Kennedy Space center so that I can visit it. Even the tiny displays in the London science museum take my breath away. I remember watching many of the moon explorations but they do tend to blur into each other a bit and also get confused with fottage that I have watched since. Strangely, I have no "at the time" recollection of Apollo 13 (despite how high-profile it became) but I remember watching missions both before and after it.

As for the people who claim a hoax, they are simply ignorant - wilfully so - and just repeat "evidence" without checking anything. Every single argument made by the pro-hoaxers can be easily dismissed even by the most cursory of investigations.

Enjay said:

As for the people who claim a hoax, they are simply ignorant - wilfully so - and just repeat "evidence" without checking anything. Every single argument made by the pro-hoaxers can be easily dismissed even by the most cursory of investigations.

I thought I read very recently that the flag placed on the moon is visible from Earth with even a modest telescope? I just lump moon hoaxers in the same category as chemtrail-tards and 'Flat Earth' idiots.

Use3D said:

I thought I read very recently that the flag placed on the moon is visible from Earth with even a modest telescope?

No. Even the Hubble telescope would not be able to.

http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/flag_on_moon.htm

Anyway, Armstrong and Aldrin probably saw some kind of UFO. Which to me is a lot more plausible and interesting than the "moon hoax" stuff. I mean, if it was possible to prove beyond the level of standard pub / internet conspiracy guy-level of evidence that it was all a big sham then Occam's razor suggests the Russians would have been all over that stuff - why wouldn't they be?

Use3D said:

chemtrail

Oh man. Even suggesting that maybe planes wouldn't be the most efficient method of delivering poison to the masses was enough to be labeled a denier by those dumbasses. LoL!

Mr. T said:

Anyway, Armstrong and Aldrin probably saw some kind of UFO. Which to me is a lot more plausible and interesting than the "moon hoax" stuff.

Use3D said:

'Flat Earth' idiots.

The most fascinating thing about Flat Earthers is the fact that, in spite of what seemingly everyone believes, the idea that the Earth is flat hasn't been a prevailing theory since the days of ancient Greece. People nearly 2500 years ago had a better grasp of reality than those idiots.

Anyways, may Armstrong RIP. He who coined the most famously botched line in the history of man, perhaps. One of the few, true living legends.

Rest in peace Neil, the greatest astronaut, trumpet player, and cyclist the world ever saw.

Snakes said:

The most fascinating thing about Flat Earthers is the fact that, in spite of what seemingly everyone believes, the idea that the Earth is flat hasn't been a prevailing theory since the days of ancient Greece. People nearly 2500 years ago had a better grasp of reality than those idiots.

You should go register and tell them that themselves and see where that gets you. The "flat earthers" have a better grasp of physical science than the majority of the general population, and in some cases twist facts quite deftly.

Nomad said:

Rest in peace Neil, the greatest astronaut, trumpet player, and cyclist the world ever saw.

good night (when you cross to the dark side of the moon), sweet prince

RIP Neily boy
It can't be overstated just what an amazing feat he accomplished, one of the most important, perhaps, in human history. I'm sure he's up there now looking down on us.

I was sad when Neil Armstrong died because of the fact he was the first man to land on the moon. Some people said that this was all a hoax but I believe that it's real. First we lose Sally Ride who was the first woman to go into space this year, and now we lose Neil Armstrong. My condolences go to his friends and family and may he rest in peace.