Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Mix Of Elements in Maps of Doom and Doom 2

You know, there has been a mix of Earth and Hell elements in the maps of the IWADs Doom/The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

For example, you can find two candelabras in E1M1 of Doom and you can also find green marble flats in the first episode of Doom, and those elements are hellish. E1M8 is a boss map that's shaped like a star that has a baphomet portal. There's also a mix of Earth and Hellish elements in the second episode and there's mostly Hellish elements with a few Earth elements.

In Doom 2, it's pretty much the same thing with there are hellish torches seen in MAP03, there are Hellish levels in the first two episodes (MAP01-MAP20) and it's just a crazy mix.

So what's up with the mix of elements in Doom/The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 maps? Are the demons to blame or what? And is there anything I missed that is relevant to this topic? Tell me what you think about this issue.

i know this has probably been said a billion times, but Doom is a very abstract game and i think most design decisions were made just because the designers thought they looked cool. and there's not really anything wrong with that, at all.

actually i'm a big fan of the subtle juxtapositions of different styles within the same map. it makes things that much creepier - like it's only hinting at what's under the surface. it's like how The Shining is one of the scariest films ever made, despite the film being so brightly lit. it actually just makes everything that much more unnerving to watch. and i think it's very much the same with with Doom levels, and all videogames. that's how i see it, anyway.

NitroactiveStudios said:

For example, you can find two candelabras in E1M1 of Doom and you can also find green marble flats in the first episode of Doom, and those elements are hellish.

That early in the game, I always thought that the candelabra and usual green marble are less about hell, and more about UAC trying to look classy. The candelabras have skulls because Id decided not to create more than one sprite.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Are the demons to blame or what?

Probably. One of the Doom 2 episode screens does state - "The monsters have brought their own reality with them, and the Starport's technology is being subverted by their presence."

actually, i like this idea of "subverted reality" a lot. standard tech awaking to demonic life, blood flowing out of walls, floors collapsing into lava pools. the part which was well done in doom 3 imo.

printz said:

That early in the game, I always thought that the candelabra and usual green marble are less about hell, and more about UAC trying to look classy. The candelabras have skulls because Id decided not to create more than one sprite.

I'd interpret it more as the demonic influence isn't nearly as strong on Phobos as of yet. This could perhaps be borne out by the fact that it didn't share the fate of the Deimos base. Not to mention, you're only fighting the rank-and-file hellspawn throughout episode 1, with the exception of the Barons, who appear to have been left behind to guard the gateway until further notice, perhaps pending the arrival of another Cyberdemon as counterpart to the one ruling Deimos.

Encryptic said:

I'd interpret it more as the demonic influence isn't nearly as strong on Phobos as of yet.

Even on easy, there's still 2 imps in E1M1. I doubt they are incapable of carrying candelabras

Eris Falling said:

Even on easy, there's still 2 imps in E1M1. I doubt they are incapable of carrying candelabras

Maybe they went shopping at the IKEA in Hell but the guys furnishing the Deimos base snapped up all the good stuff first so they had to make do with a few crappy skull candelabras they found in the return section - hence the dearth of Hell decorations throughout episode 1.

...and now I'm picturing an imp cursing in demonic argot as he tries to assemble the "impaled marine" kit he bought for his corner of the Deimos base.

"Insert dowel A into slot B until you hear a squishy noise? Who wrote these instructions?!?"

hahaha
now I am picturing the Icon of Sin being fused into the wall and the attaching of the pipes..

Demon 1: "Left a bit!"
Demon 2: "No, Down a bit!"
Demon 3: "Don't drop it!"
ALL: *Drops*
Icon: RAWR

darkreaver said:

DID THE DEMONS PLACE THOSE TORCHES IN MAP03??? OR WGHAT? DISCUSS!!!!

Well...the demons hired a lighting designer to consult on the best way to light their new home. Unfortunately, the designer was promptly torn to pieces and devoured after a disagreement with his new employers over the safety and energy-efficiency concerns inherent in using open flames for lighting.

darkreaver said:

BLASPHEMY! ICON OF SIN =/= PUPILS SO IT PUT TORCHES TO HELP FELLOW DEMONS SEE PLAYER

Of course there's a mix of earth and hell elements, hell is supposed to be literally turning reality into it's own hellish domain.

darkreaver said:

Unlike Doom 1 Episode 1, the Doom 2 early levels never struck me as any realistic. The Doom 2 middle and late levels are already quite nightmarish so everything can exist there.

darkreaver said:

STOP HAVING FUN HOW DARE YOU LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE!!!11