Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. T

Counter Strike Ghost Protocol errr Global Offensive

Has anyone played this yet? The new features look fairly inoffensive, which is not surprising considering how conservative Valve have been with changing anything in CS - it's been a decade since they added (two) new weapons to the game.

I will probably get this if it takes off, but there is literally nothing here that fans haven't added to CS:S over the years. The story here is more that CS has finally made it's way to consoles*. Cue dudebro rage at the lack of iron-sights. Ha Ha!

*Turn off your pedant alarm, I know about CS for the original Xbox. STFU

It's CS. It plays better than CSS. The SAS voice lines are very funny. (Yeah, they finally got rid of those 12 year old boring voice lines and put in new ones for each faction, which actually have some flavor to them.)

Most of the rage I've seen has been the opposite. Any tiny bit of modernization they tried to do to the game (which has solely been in terms of UI, not gameplay) has been met with cries of "console port" because PC games aren't allowed to have modern interfaces. Luckily all of that has fallen on deaf ears, but valid gameplay complaints have been fixed up pretty quickly.

I hear the controls on the console versions aren't the greatest, and they run at 30 fps. There's also no splitscreen. If anything, not having tried it yet, I'd say the console guys should be the ones complaining about a lazy port.

That sounds like standard internet whining. I mean, it's not like anyone other than total noobs actually knew CS had a UI. The question on my mind is: what was there to change? ;o

I mean, CS's UI consisted of an ammo counter, a health counter and a clock for timeleft. lmao

Dragonsbrethren said:

(Yeah, they finally got rid of those 12 year old boring voice lines and put in new ones for each faction, which actually have some flavor to them.)

How dare you! FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Go Go Go!

It's interesting that you say it plays better than CS:S.

The main differences I remember were that for some reason the players were huge in comparison to the environment compared to the original, and you couldn't shoot people thru the corners of walls like in the olden days. Also the movement felt really "slippery" but that isn't unique to CS:S.

Players are the same size as CSS, but they slimmed the hitboxes down a lot to make them closer to the model size. There's a post about it on the official site:

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2012/03/1838/

You can shoot through corners/thin walls again. There aren't any annoying tiny physics props with collision to get stuck on anymore, either. Props are either static or they have no collision in this one.

I actually think it's really cool. Even now, 13 years later, (yes, I played the original mod back in 1999, before it went retail) waiting for the next round pisses me off. But I find it frustrating that only a few new guns were added, and I still prefer the original maps. I completely skipped the Source era, and only played the original GoldSrc version. But I like the new modes and voices. :3

One thing I really like is the matchmaking. I don't have to look through hundreds of servers in the server browser to find one that kind of runs default settings. It could use some work, it loves to drop me on European servers I ping 100+ to when there are official servers in DC I get ~20 to, but it's still a nice thing to have.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Players are the same size as CSS, but they slimmed the hitboxes down a lot to make them closer to the model size. There's a post about it on the official site:

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2012/03/1838/

You can shoot through corners/thin walls again. There aren't any annoying tiny physics props with collision to get stuck on anymore, either. Props are either static or they have no collision in this one.

Um, AWESOME!

TERRORISTS W-

...You know what? No. Not this time. People would be expecting that. O:

I've been playing this for a bit. It's not bad. I like the new weapons and the new Arms Race mode. I hate the terrorist model they have for CS_OFFICE though, it looks really stupid.

Ehh each map has it's own skins now? I know that was meant to be a feature in CZ, but I don't like it.

Part of the charm of the original CS was how ugly it was. Having a group of terrorists dressed in jungle camoflage, Arabs and Swedes dressed to go skiing(!) running around Iraq or an English country manor was part of what made it awesome dammit

Would it sully my social status if I said that I've never played any Counter Strike game?

DoomUK said:

Would it sully my social status if I said that I've never played any Counter Strike game?

Considering it puts you in my company, possibly :P ;)

Reminds me of CS 1.6 in terms of gameplay more so than CSS did, I prefer the mechanics,hit register and gameplay over CSS but not really a fan of the new clunky UI but it's a lot more satisfying than source still behind 1.6 though.

I tried Counter Strike once and didn't like it. maybe that sullies my social status, too.

The last time I tried 1.6, the community felt pretty dead (I refuse buying it via Steam). I also refuse to partake in the CS:S community. Now this is out and the PS3 version allows for kb/m. Looks like I'm sold.

Just played some Counter Strike Online with a bunch of Malaysians, and it brought back a lot of great memories. The original's gameplay definitely holds up against successors like Battlefield and COD.

Walking through the wine cellar in de_italy when I hear the clang of a knife on a wall. Immediately switch to a knife and engage in knifey-cuffs with the emerging T. One of his team mates popped in, and after some startled shooting, politely walked by, leaving us to finish our gentlemen's duel.

I lost the knife duel, but my honour remained intact.

I really enjoy GO on PS3, especially with usb mouse and keyboard making me unstoppable to dualshock 3 players >:D

The only thing that bothers me is the removal of the MP5. I don't know why they took it out I mean it was a fairly powerful SMG and it was accurate due to the low recoil and was a good weapon.

I never expected the game to be a MAJOR FPS BREAKTHROUGH!!!! or anything, I knew from the start it would just be counter strike and just that, the graphics are pretty sweet, but I hate how if one player on the enemy team leaves, a BOT fills in and they are hard to kill in pubs matches *balls up fists*.

I'd give the game a solid 9/10

Dragonsbrethren said:

It's CS. It plays better than CSS. The SAS voice lines are very funny. (Yeah, they finally got rid of those 12 year old boring voice lines and put in new ones for each faction, which actually have some flavor to them.)

Most of the rage I've seen has been the opposite. Any tiny bit of modernization they tried to do to the game (which has solely been in terms of UI, not gameplay) has been met with cries of "console port" because PC games aren't allowed to have modern interfaces. Luckily all of that has fallen on deaf ears, but valid gameplay complaints have been fixed up pretty quickly.

I hear the controls on the console versions aren't the greatest, and they run at 30 fps. There's also no splitscreen. If anything, not having tried it yet, I'd say the console guys should be the ones complaining about a lazy port.

Speaking of voice lines. I love the terrorists on Office when they say "I know how much you hate em', so lets do this!". But I don't like the "Lets kicks some butt!".

Seriously? Your big bad scary terrorists and you can even say ass?

Mr. Chris said:

Same old gameplay as from 13 years ago.

You're saying that like it's a bad thing?!

Mr. T said:

Don't fix what ain't broke

Ignoring the fact that that statement is false, you're saying that CS wasn't broken?

I would agree it's not broken, as in it works; as in it's an enjoyable squad-based multi-player shooter, which I believe is the game's intention.

Though I do miss being able to topple those filing cabinets to block the CTs in CS:S. I thought it fit into the gameplay nicely, as a viable strategy. The Ts had to waste (at least) a grenade to push them into the doorway, and the CTs had to waste (at least) a grenade to push them out of the way.

Jodwin said:

Ignoring the fact that that statement is false, you're saying that CS wasn't broken?

OK guy, what was so broken about CS?

chungy said:

I tried Counter Strike once and didn't like it.

Same here. I joined a server once, died, and then had nothing to do for the rest of the round. I thought "I don't understand what all this fuss is about, even Thundra plays better (and longer) than that" and never touched it again :-p

Well. Been playing abit of CSGO for the last couple of days. First time I've played CS since 2003. Prefer playing Arms Race mode as I don't have to sit and stair at people hiding in corners when I die.

Gotta say though. The game is pretty buggy still, and the netcode is pretty awful. High ping appears to make you less likely to get hit and the game is basically desined to make it as slow as possible. If you get hit you become slower. So, yeah. At least BF3 let you kick some ass. CS is just a slow pain in the ass with bad hit detection.