Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Killing Time vs Blood. which was Scarier?

Which game was scarier  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which game was scarier

• Killing Time
    • Blood

I was looking around youtube and other various sites on old school 2.5D FPS's that are horror themed and found two interesting ones: Killing Time (originally on the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer)and the cult classic of the FPS genre: Blood. Both exude a proper horror atmosphere while at the same time show no fear in being a bit tongue and cheek about it. What I would like to hear from you guys is which one you think is more successful in being scary.

For my money, it's Blood. Although I've never played Killing Time (although I really want to and plan on getting the PC version), it looks a lot more light-hearted in comparison.

Spiderdemon6669 said:

What I would like to hear from you guys is which one you think is more successful in being scary.

Um...neither?

I doubt you'll find much of an answer to this question anywhere. The only person I've ever seen that even owned a 3DO is myself (lol) and I only had a few games on it -- Killing Time wasn't one of them. Like almost everything on that console, it didn't get great reviews and even at a young age back in 95 or whenever that was, I could easily imagine the game controlling like shit, based off what I saw about the graphics engine.

Mogul said:

I doubt you'll find much of an answer to this question anywhere. The only person I've ever seen that even owned a 3DO is myself (lol) and I only had a few games on it -- Killing Time wasn't one of them. Like almost everything on that console, it didn't get great reviews and even at a young age back in 95 or whenever that was, I could easily imagine the game controlling like shit, based off what I saw about the graphics engine.

I kind of figured, but I felt it wouldn't hurt to try. Thank you for replying respectfully

It can be pretty intense, but even when I was a lad, I considered Doom 1 to be scarier.

Now, Thief - that was a scary game.

The disembodied hands in Blood were pretty damn terrifying if you didn't know how to shrug them off.

Other than that, the only really scary moment for me was when playing that level with all the spiders, and a spider fell from my ceiling ONTO MY SHOULDER OH GAAAWD GET IT OFF GET IT OFFF

AirRaid said:

Blood was scary? Blood was FUNNY.

so much this. It's one of the games that made me pause to laugh, besides TF2, which makes me laugh a lot because of how crazy it all is.

The first time I saw the death-gost-thing in Blood I had a jump scare I admit. The atmosphere was also very convincing. Never played (and never will play) the other game though.
Oh, hi by the way.

Just because something is horror-themed doesn't mean it's frightening. Unless you are a very impressionable child, the macabre in Blood is used for fun, not for scares.

As for Killing Time, never played it, in fact never heard of it before this thread. As a result, it registers an absolute zero on the scare-o-meter.

Blood had some creepy moments, like that mansion map that was full of phantasms. Most of the time it was as 'scary' as Evil Dead.

I have never played Killing Time and I have never actually found Blood scary so I really can't vote.

Belial said:

Blood had some creepy moments, like that mansion map that was full of phantasms. Most of the time it was as 'scary' as Evil Dead.

Hit the nail on the fucking head. It's not "scary" in the same way that "Doom 64" was or anything like that, which is mostly scary in retrospect anyway. I watched some "Killing Time" footage and it looks kooky, kinda silly actually, but fun. Scary though? Don't think so.

Blood had some scary moments, Killing Times looks too stupid to have scary moments.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
None are scary, but Shadow Warrior is the most fun IMO. (Enter the Wang...)

A fantastic shareware episode followed by a pretty mediocre game. I wish the rest of the maps had as much effort put into them as the first episode.

Technician said:

A fantastic shareware episode followed by a pretty mediocre game. I wish the rest of the maps had as much effort put into them as the first episode.

Who gives a shit? I never owned the full version, anyway, and still played the shareware over and over and over (well, kinda like I did with Doom when I first got my hands on the demo... ah, memories!).

Technician said:

I would argue that some of the later maps, such as the mansion, charnel house, hotel, hedge maze, grocery store and bombed-out city were as solid as the shareware maps, but yeah, there's a lot of filler. Some of those water-oriented maps are particularly frustrating. But "Shadow Warrior" had a far more disappointing output. The shareware was AMAZING, four massive maps with lots of diversity, followed by some 20 or so maps of very boring design.

GoatLord said:

I would argue that some of the later maps, such as the mansion, charnel house, hotel, hedge maze, grocery store and bombed-out city were as solid as the shareware maps, but yeah, there's a lot of filler. Some of those water-oriented maps are particularly frustrating. But "Shadow Warrior" had a far more disappointing output. The shareware was AMAZING, four massive maps with lots of diversity, followed by some 20 or so maps of very boring design.

He was talking about Shadow Warrior and I kind of agree. Hovever, when every company going with the shareware model is putting out at least two registered episodes, having only one is a bit suspicious. But hey, that's Post-Duke3D Apogee Software for ya.