Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

I'm trying to start using SLADE...

Apparently you need the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Distributable Package to run SLADE. I went to the website, followed all the prompts, but for some reason a fatal error occurs every time I try install it. Can someone help me out please?

Every time you try to install what? SLADE itself or the VC runtimes? (I'd guess the later since SLADE isn't distributed as an installer.)

If you have a 64-bit system, then that may be the problem, at least for me it was, I believe. Downloading one of the SVN versions may very well do the trick.

Gez said:

Every time you try to install what? SLADE itself or the VC runtimes? (I'd guess the later since SLADE isn't distributed as an installer.)

The runtimes.

Aldaraia said:

If you have a 64-bit system, then that may be the problem, at least for me it was, I believe. Downloading one of the SVN versions may very well do the trick.

I've just got Windows XP, so I dunno if it's 64-bit. I'll have a look at this SVN thing though. Thanks. :-)

Your copy of XP is most likely 32-bit but might be running on 64-bit hardware, like mine is. What error message is the installer displaying?

Obsidian said:

It just says "Fatal error during installation" and nothing else. :/

That certainly would point to the operating system, or possibly the hardware.
Which version are you trying to install ?

There really shouldn't be any problem with installing Slade3 on any computer running XP, Vista or 7.
I have installed it successfully on a variety of computers.

If you downloaded Slade3 from http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads then, as it mentions
right there and has a link to it, you need to install the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes.

If you downloaded Slade3 from http://svn.drdteam.org/slade/ then you need to install the Visual C++ 2005
runtimes since that is what Gez uses to compile the svn versions.

[edit]
And, as an extra measure, check if you have .NET Framework 3.5 or later installed.
I believe Slade needs that as well.