Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Games that utilize different hitscan sizes

I thought a couple days ago if any game existed that used different sizes for the projectiles of various guns in their games.

Has any game shown this? While it is kinda minor, I mean what if an large assault rifle had a generally higher chance of hitting a target due to it's larger size? For example, a shot from a pistol that fires a small caliber in-between the neck and the shoulder misses. However, a large caliber sniper rifle would technically hit both the shoulder and the neck. (keep in mind that both weapons have their projectiles hit at the exact same spots)

Well if I'm not mistaken that particular shot would connect in Doom anyway because the hitbox is literally a box around the monster based on sprite size.

FYI, projectiles and hitscans are (usually) totally different mechanics.

And your suggestion seems to violate the very purpose of hit detection in videogames.

Platinum Shell said:

However, a large caliber sniper rifle would technically hit both the shoulder and the neck.

Only if the "rifle" fired 120 mm shells. that were as large as the neck-shoulder distance.

Maes said:

Only if the "rifle" fired 120 mm shells. that were as large as the neck-shoulder distance.

Maybe he meant the damage caused by the shock wave of the bullet?

DoomUK said:

Maybe he meant the damage caused by the shock wave of the bullet

Definitively not what he meant by "larger bullet size". If of course you want to go into endless debates about hydrostatic shock and stopping power...

Platinum Shell said:

I thought a couple days ago if any game existed that used different sizes for the projectiles of various guns in their games.

Why on earth would they? The example you gave is such an incredibly rare situation to occur in any game that having different sized bullets for perfectly realistic simulation would in no way be beneficial to the gameplay.

Jodwin said:

Why on earth would they? The example you gave is such an incredibly rare situation to occur in any game that having different sized bullets for perfectly realistic simulation would in no way be beneficial to the gameplay.

It was just a question. Chill.

And yes, I mean more so of what DoomUK said.

MrrCaliber said:

FYI, projectiles and hitscans are (usually) totally different mechanics.

And your suggestion seems to violate the very purpose of hit detection in videogames.

How did you interpret it as a suggestion. It was but a mere question.

There's games like the Sniper Elite series that have more realistic ballistic calculations than simple hit-scan checks, but the question you are asking has a faulty premise: in general, pistols have larger calibers than rifles. The standard NATO pistol round is 9mm in diameter versus 5.56mm for assault rifles. I doubt any game bothers with the relatively minor differences in bullet diameter; factors like muzzle velocity, bullet weight, and wind are far more useful to model.

Stalker SOC has some noticable differences between ammo types when it comes to flight characteristics.

In the end, they all leave a small hole, at least when going in. Now, if you had a game that modelled softpoints/dum-dum effects....

Platinum Shell said:

Sorry I should have been more specific not so much caliber I meant but circumference. I apologize for not being clear enough.

...they are practically the same thing, at least for solid, non-expanding and non-explosive round/cylindrical bullets.

• Bullet caliber = diameter of bullet
  • Bullet circumference = diameter * pi (at thickest point)
  • frontal area = (pi*diameter^2)/4
All linked by precise relationships.

You can't have a bullet of a particular caliber and different circumference, unless the bullet is not cylindrical/round, or it expands significantly upon impact.