Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Modern Games that you do like?

killer2 said:

Well, these are a lot of games, which kind of proves the whole "modern games are all bad" issue is moot.

The people who claim that there are no good new games tend to play nothing but old school FPSs. If you're fan of pretty much any other genre, RTSs, driving games, fighting games, platformers, so on and so on, there's certain to be games that you'll enjoy out there. True Doom clones are pretty much the only niche that's missing any modern titles.

Yeah, and I have to say I don't agree that all modern games are bad, I even don't mind MW1/2/3 that much.
I was seeing it written just about everywhere, and it was all "Doom forever" (yeah, that's true), then the rest of it was all the anti-modern stuff. I just didn't quite get it..

Jodwin said:

The people who claim that there are no good new games tend to play nothing but old school FPSs. If you're fan of pretty much any other genre, RTSs, driving games, fighting games, platformers, so on and so on, there's certain to be games that you'll enjoy out there. True Doom clones are pretty much the only niche that's missing any modern titles.

I'm not; there aren't; and thats terrible, respectively.

I'm also a fan of RPGs, adventure games (with or without graphics), non-realtime strategy, puzzle, and arcade games. But the thing is those don't need 3D engine or very much bling-bling, so the newer stuff just doesn't seem any more appealing than all the old stuff I haven't yet played. And since I can get the old stuff much cheaper, and run it on much weaker hardware (even if emulation is required), then it's a no-brainer for me to just stick with old school games. Heck, this old laptop I'm using that was practically free (it's a Pentium-M @1.8GHz with 512MB RAM) can emulate real arcade games at high framerate. And even though those are mostly 2D-engine games, they're very, very awesomely made 2D games with outstanding graphics and gameplay. So why in the world would I want to spend lots of money for hardware upgrades in order to play new PC games? Makes no sense to me at all... Plus, I'd need a Windows partition, or run them via Wine, and I never used that so not sure it'd work well anyway. So in the end for me it comes down to playing "new" open-source games, or older stuff. Both have their merits.

hex11 said:

So why in the world would I want to spend lots of money for hardware upgrades in order to play new PC games?

Because you're missing out on some good games, and until you try some of them you're not even qualified to say whether they're any good or not? That's nothing personal; I hear this argument quite a lot and it's a bit of a non-issue.

Currently, you don't even need a high-end PC to play most of them. You could put together a system similar to mine for a pittance in PC-building terms and enjoy most modern games with only a minor drop in visual quality compared to what they look like on a better system.

Of course, if you genuinely only enjoy older games then who am I to tell you what to like and what to spend your money on?

hex11 said:

So in the end for me it comes down to playing "new" open-source games, or older stuff.

I'm interested in this. What are your favorite open source games?

DoomUK said:

Currently, you don't even need a high-end PC to play most of them. You could put together a system similar to mine for a pittance in PC-building terms and enjoy most modern games with only a minor drop in visual quality compared to what they look like on a better system.

Thank god for the latest consoles being so old. They keep the minimum system requirements for a lot of new games so low that even four year old computers can run newest games without too many problems.

Super Jamie said:

What are your favorite open source games?

Wait, do free games exist? I know their engines can be free, but their artwork?

printz said:

Yes.

All the artwork for OpenArena is under the GPLv2 license.

Red Eclipse has all artwork under one of the permissive CC (Creative Commons) licenses.

See also this site: http://opengameart.org

printz said:

Xonotic http://xonotic.org is a quake engine(darkplaces) based FPS(though I hear it's more unreal tournament-ish Haven't played any of the UTs so I don't know) Based on the GPL version of nexuiz.

Then there's some city management sims such lincity and it's NG fork http://sourceforge.net/projects/lincity-ng.berlios (duel licensed under gpl and the ploblematic version two of cc-by-sa) which adds a graphical update and water management.

data files for propritary turned free warzone2100 (http://wz2100.net for the current versions) were only partly released at first before the cutscenes were also GPLv2+'d.

The rizom(sp?) MMO opened up a bunch of it's art assets under CC-BY-SA 3.0 along with opening it's client/server code. The mana world MMO also has open assets IIRC.

Then there's the liberated pixel cup contest which requires only free assets and code. There are 48 entries yet to be judged but you can dl them via the opengame art site metion earlier and by looking at the contestent's nice firm GITS

Jodwin said:

four year old computers

Except for the GPU, everything is at least seven years old, actually :p

Phml said:

This is actually pretty fun. Thanks for sharing.

It's fun until you realize that the campaign mechanic they use is very limiting to the extent that it's outright broken in some campaigns: To make sure that you have enough money for the coming missions you need to beat the current one in as few turns as possible, with as few troops as possible and while taking any villages possible. Plus you need to avoid any losses possible, because you absolutely need the high level troops and you can't afford to waste any money. You always start with at least 100 gold in each mission, but there are some campaign missions where you need 200-300 gold to fight off all the lvl +2 that they'll be throwing at you. So essentially to beat some of the campaigns you need to do extremely well in all of the missions, or you just won't be able to finish the rest. Fail in one and you just can't rebuild your gold surplus. And since the game emphasizes high level units it becomes more about small squad tactics than about strategy in the campaigns, and low level units become mere cannon fodder. :/

Obviously if you play multiplayer or skirmishes those aren't issues, so these modes are just fine. And it's been quite a while since I last played Wesnoth (1.7.x or 1.8.x I think) so maybe they've figured something out to fix the campaigns.

DoomUK said:

Except for the GPU, everything is at least seven years old, actually :p

Well my computer was four years old until I updated my graphics card last week, but it was even worse than yours (8600GT -> GTX550) so whatever. :p That was the only part really holding this box back, so that was one great upgrade.

Ha, fair enough. I only played the tutorial so far, and it looked slick and polished for a truly free game. I've had disappointing experiences with such games before, so this one felt particulary nice so far.

Jodwin said:
rant about early Wesnoth balance

I had the same experience in older versions. I thought I just sucked at it and needed more practice :P

- Borderlands (though DLCs are nowhere near as good and 2 has not sparked my interest yet)
- Skyrim
- Torchlight (2 is preordered)
- Starcraft 2 (inferior to 1, but still good)
- Amnesia TDD (this game was not as scary as Doom3 for me - might be due to me aging - but still pretty awesome atmosphere)

from the top of my head...

Z86 said:
- Amnesia TDD

I forgot about this one. It's a great game and I liked the puzzle aspects. A prime example of the proper way to make a game atmospheric.

Z86 said:

- Amnesia TDD

I've played this game once (for about 1 and a half hours). My lights were on and my dad was in the other room. I still wouldn't dare to touch it again (except maybe during the day, but that would be really lame on my part).

Metal Gear Solid 4, Battlefield 3, Fifa 12, Mirror's Edge, Super Street Fighter 4, Grand Theft Auto 4...

Lots of modern games I like. Too many to list - a fangame, Streets of Rage Remake I think is absolutely fantastic as it is very much the older SOR games. That's one modern games I've been playing the crap out of. :)

dannebubinga said:

Super street fighter 4: arcade edition

How could I forget about that.

I've only heard good things about Mortal Kombat (2011) too, though I've not played it myself.

DoomUK said:

I've only heard good things about Mortal Kombat (2011) too, though I've not played it myself.

I watched a couple of streamed MK matches from EVO and it looked ok. But no fighting game can compete with street fighter IMO.

dannebubinga said:

But no fighting game can compete with street fighter IMO.

Melty Blood Actress Again. Street Fighter is slow and clunky compared to that.

Speaking of fighting games...

I actually enjoyed the ultra campy campaign mode in the latest Mortal Kombat game. It plays pretty much like the first movie, and it's wonderful. Apparently, the 1v1 was remade with tournaments in mind, and it shows - I'm not sure if it's up to the standard of most other, serious fighting games, but it definitely holds up as a fun fighting game to play via chesterfield with friends. Also, the 3D graphics (locked to a 2D plane), look more like the original sprites than any of the previous attempts.

Also, I'm guessing everyone here's heard about the newer new MGS: Ground Zeroes, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8

I guess I should try the newer ones, but I was put off by the old Mortal Kombats because pretty much every character played the same way. Always the same spin kicks, sweeps, uppercuts, flying kicks and so on. To be honest, with that gameplay, I don't get all the love that those games get.