Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

ahh.. wtf: Michael Duncan died

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news%2Fentertainment&id=8796510

Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile, The Whole Nine Yards) dead at 54

LOS ANGELES -- Michael Clarke Duncan, the hulking, prolific character actor whose dozens of films included an Oscar-nominated performance as a death row inmate in "The Green Mile" and such other box office hits as "Armageddon," ''Planet of the Apes" and "Kung Fu Panda," is dead at age 54.

Clarke died Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was being treated for a heart attack, said his fiancée, reality TV personality Rev. Omarosa Manigault, in a statement released by publicist Joy Fehily.

The muscular, 6-foot-4 Duncan, a former bodyguard who turned to acting in his 30s, "suffered a myocardial infarction on July 13 and never fully recovered," the statement said. "Manigault is grateful for all of your prayers and asks for privacy at this time. Celebrations of his life, both private and public, will be announced at a later date."

In the spring of 2012, Clarke had appeared in a video for PETA, the animal rights organization, in which he spoke of how much better he felt since becoming a vegetarian three years earlier.

"I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat," he said. "I'm a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat." [...]

I wasn't too familiar with Michael Clarke Duncan too much (although the last time I remembered him was for providing the voice of Kilowog for the 2011 film Green Lantern) but I remember seeing him in the previews for the 1999 movie The Green Mile. It's sad that he died in his 50s and he could have been alive today if it weren't for his medical problems. My condolences go to his friends and family and may he rest in peace.

BloodyAcid said:

RIP. Too many this summer...

Make that too many this year.

Here's a better article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-michael-clark-duncan-obituary-20120903,0,7801141.story

excerpt:

“There was something about him that I just couldn't ignore,” Green Mile writer-director Frank Darabont said of Duncan in a 2000 Daily Variety interview. “After his first reading, he kept haunting me. Given that he was a fairly inexperienced actor at that point, obviously, there was a concern about, ‘Gee, how would this guy do?'

“But once we put him on film, it became apparent that he was up to the task.”

Duncan credited acting coach Larry Moss with teaching him “how to dig within myself” for the heavily emotional crying scenes in the movie.

“I'm an emotional person, a very emotional person,” Duncan told Tribune Newspapers in 2000. “All those tears you see in the movie were mine.”

WTF indeed, I really liked him as an actor. RIP.

I'll always remember your awesome roles

DoomUK said:

I wonder whether his size contributed to his heart problems. The guy was huge.

It's a possibility. He's only about an inch or 2 taller than me but no doubt much more muscular. That adds on weight that puts strain on the heart.

RIP :(

DoomUK said:

I wonder whether his size contributed to his heart problems. The guy was huge.

More the diet, which also contributed to his size, but yeah it might have been a factor.

Krispy said:

I was right there in the hospital. I tried to take it back but it was too late.

I'm sorry, I keep reading this but I can't figure out what you mean. :-/

Ah, RIP Michael Clarke. Your roles always ranged from tolerable to good. Green Mile was a decent flick.

Hell, even Armageddon came close to tolerable if he, Buscemi and Stromare were on screen... Close, anyways.

Hellbent said:

I'm sorry, I keep reading this but I can't figure out what you mean. :-/

It's what he says in in The Green Mile when he couldn't save the girls. He just put a clever twist on it.

RIP