Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Autosave. Do you use it?

princetontiger said:

Do you guys believe maps should be played through without dying... or do you prefer that to autosave throughout the level?

I consider both of those to be one and the same. Even if you quicksave, the overall progression of the gameplay is that you don't die. It's just that with saving, you're reverting your mistakes if you do make any.

The real question is if you're willing to redo the map from a pistol start if you refuse to save.

I prefer not to save and restart with the pistol if I die, even in multi-level wads. However, many levels are too long for this to work to my taste so in those instances I save either after each key or each tough fight depending on how endearing replaying previously completed areas is.

I always save. Increased difficulty may be fun, but IMO if there's any worse way to increase difficulty than slaughter, it is having to do everything from the beginning in case of fail.

Nope, only manually

ESC down down down Enter Enter

I'll try to get through maps on single playy throughs unless its some new mapset im trying, then I'll usually save in order to avoid long areas, long levels, difficult fights again, and be able to see more of the map.

For some reason I'm incapable of enjoying Doom with saves. I press "save" and tension and excitiment immediately disappear.

I don't intentionally do it as I never messed with the default save settings, but yes it does. It's insignificant though since I never load them anyways.

40oz said:

Nope, only manually

ESC down down down Enter Enter

The F2 key says "hello, have you ever heard of me?"... :p

For awhile I was playing "hardcore" mode, doing UV / PS with no saves. It was very exciting (I'll remember some of those WADs forever). Now I save, but not compulsively; maybe three times, maybe more depending on map size / difficulty. Oftentimes I'll forget until the second or third death deep into the level.

I'm going to admit that I'm a compulsive/impulsive saver, Postal Dude frequently informs me that his grandmother could beat the game if she saved as much as I do. Thing is, I don't even die that much at all, so why I save so much, I really dunno. Still, I don't save nearly as much as I do in other FPS's, since there's that annoying confirmation window that pops up every time I use the quicksave key. I'm not pressing it by accident, why don't you just overwrite my save without confirmation? The function keys are quite out of the way, there's very little chance of me pressing it unintentionally.

I never save ever, im the same as memfis, when I save then all tension dissapears and I get bored as hell. I love the feeling of finishing a really tough map without saves, deus vult map02 for example. After beating that I felt the best ive ever been after finishing something :P

UnholyMessias said:

I never save ever, im the same as memfis, when I save then all tension dissapears and I get bored as hell. I love the feeling of finishing a really tough map without saves, deus vult map02 for example. After beating that I felt the best ive ever been after finishing something :P

Funny thing is a few days ago I decided to replay good'old wolf3d on "Death Incarnated" again but this time without saving - I had this idea because I wanted to actually feel the "lives" item more important. The game became more interesting in its own way, albeit harder.

I use F2 save to save after I do something. I don't want to die and have to start over any Doom level. Too bad multiplayer disables saving in anything based off ZDoom (since apparently Vanilla Doom could save to all computers at the same time).

Also, "Autosave", as in ZDoom? In my levels, I have autosave before important stuff and otherwise, I'd hope other ZDoom mods do autosaving correctly, as I have its setting on.

Hellbent said:

maad respect yo

I guess you're being sarcastic..? I don't really get it.

Xane123 said:

I use F2 save to save after I do something. I don't want to die and have to start over any Doom level. Too bad multiplayer disables saving in anything based off ZDoom (since apparently Vanilla Doom could save to all computers at the same time).

I didn't realize that (since I never use it anyway). I play coop almost exclusively. Back in the vanilla days I remember saving games a couple of times, but it was such a hassle to load and there was so little incentive that it wasn't really worthwhile. You had to have the same combination of players all want to play where you left off last time, join in the same order, load, etc, and everyone had to actually want to resume that game. Never happened.

qoncept said:

I guess you're being sarcastic..? I don't really get it.

No, not really, actually. Isn't it hard to play without saving?

TimeOfDeath said:

It's harder, yeah, and more rewarding: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/.

But I still enjoy myself while playing casually with saves. I don't understand how people lose all enjoyment and get bored while playing with saves. :P

It takes the suspense out. It's hard for me to enjoy a wad if I don't save, but it's hard for me to replay a level over and over... so it's a bit of a catch 22. It means either way, I won't finish a difficult wad.

I can't save and load in real life, and believe me how many times I've thought of this. Thus, I'm not going to pretend otherwise, so I'm not going to save in Doom.