Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Omg Screenshots!

awesome, gotta give this a shot when I get a working 3d card again.

boris said:

Whoa! It runs Europa3??? Then it's the only OpenGL port that runs this map :)
(hey Kat, did you ever try to glvis the map again? :)

Really? Cool :) I didn't even change any command line stuff for that (heapsize is the default, etc)...

timmie said:

Really? Cool :) I didn't even change any command line stuff for that (heapsize is the default, etc)...

Actually... I just tried it out on GLBoom and EDGE. Runs fine and fast on GLBoom, but it's slow as crap on glEDGE. IIRC Kat said that it crashed in Legacy for her, and GLVising it for Vavoom takes too long, even on her computer.
However, neither GLBoom nor EDGE managed to render the sky on both floor and ceiling corretly, does the new ZDoomGL render it right?

Hey, those look pretty nice. I'd seen pictures of the new ZdoomGL on the ZdoomGL forums, before [whoever] had it rendering textures. Pretty good.

Hmph. I tried to GLVis Europa3 on a 2.12Ghz Athlon XP, with 1GB PC3000 DDR (@ 424Mhz), and after letting it sit for three days, I decided I wanted to use my computer, so I ended it. Then, I took the same map (which was a pre-release version anyway, IIRC) and tried to GLVIS it on a dual-processor 1.4Ghz AMD Tbird system (133Mhz FSB, 4GB DDR), and after leaving it running at %50 CPU utilization (GLVIS.EXE is single-threaded, so I learned) for A WEEK it was about %15 done. So, I decided F00K IT and gave up. Anyone else is welcome to try.

Yeah, Legacy died a horrible, hard-locking death (not even ATX power would kill it) on Europa 3. But then, Legacy does that a lot, for me, nowadays. Didn't used to. ::shrugs:: Jdoom wouldn't even load...ZdoomGL loaded and ran just peachy unless you looked outside or at the plasma room, when it would promptly crash to desktop, thus killing A) my OpenGL driver and B) my sound driver, requiring a restart to get things working again. EDGE I didn't even bother with. Those are the only ports I have aside from Zdoom, Zdaemon, and Skulltag.

On a quick sidenote, does ZdoomGL refuse to terminate for anyone else? ZdoomGL refuses to terminate when I kill it, I have to manually go in and kill the process. It's quite irritating, Half-Life does this as well.

http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/images2/DOOM030.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/images2/DOOM031.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/images2/DOOM032.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/images2/DOOM033.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/images2/DOOM034.jpg

Note the stone2 textures on the sky, Hurdler call it missing texture fix, but all it fix is where the designer didn't put textures, wich is 98% of the time, intentional.
Can be fixed by turning some cvar to off, but I can't be arsed to recall it.

Erik: Yes I know. I asked Hurdler to remove it cause it simply 100% useless and sucks. But he wouldn't listen.

Tarin:?

kristus said:

Erik: Yes I know. I asked Hurdler to remove it cause it simply 100% useless and sucks. But he wouldn't listen.

Tarin:?

What about just checking the bottom of the wall for missing textures and ignoring the top? That's the way I have it right now, but it'd be simple enough to take out, too...

Zaldron said:

HOLY SHIT

Look at the polycounts. Makes you wonder if GLNode works right...

Yeah, I'd say it's right. I just changed the floor/ceiling code to use GL_POLYGON instead of GL_TRIANGLE_FAN, and it's just that there's about a million subsectors in that particular location :)

It's marginally faster now, but not much =/

Why does GLNode tessellates everything? I mean shouldn't it be easier if it just took advantage of Z-buffer? Is it a VIS-related problem?

Zaldron said:

Why does GLNode tessellates everything? I mean shouldn't it be easier if it just took advantage of Z-buffer? Is it a VIS-related problem?

GLNode doesn't tessellate everything. Basically, all it does is make sure all the subsectors are closed shapes and all the segs that make up the subsector are ordered in a counter-clockwise direction, making it much easier for the programmers to deal with floors/ceilings.

The problem here is the map got broken up into many subsectors (well, and there were a lot of sectors to begin with), which boosts the polycount because I deal with floors/ceilings on a subsector basis (the reason being is that the BSP traversal finds visible subsectors). Plus, subsectors are guaranteed to be convex polygons and, with GLNodes, closed.

The reason it runs slowly in ZDoomGL right now is I'm still calculating the geometry every frame, rather than precalculating everything when the map loads and only recalculating the geometry for the sectors that have changed for that frame (which the old ZDoomGL did).

heh, damn that looks like a bunch of random lines in some places.

orion said:

heh, damn that looks like a bunch of random lines in some places.

are you accusing me of line-wasting?

Erik said:

are you accusing me of line-wasting?

Your name is Erik, I can accuse you of anything =P

The line between high detail and foaming retard isn't that Goddamn fine, Christ.

There's probably more polygons in that fucking level than in all of SOF. I would try to play it but I only have a Geforce 3.