Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Badboy

Real Resolution of Doom on Xbox 360?

doomwiki: High definition video mode (1080i) support.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Xbox_360

support means maybe a hdmi connection. i dont own a xbox 360.

i mean its not wrong to say its hd, but it suggest a bit that the whole graphic is in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9KxtEjLHTY
in the beginning its widescreen when you go into the menu, but when you play, it has more like a 4:3 ratio.

so wat is the real game graphic resolution. and more importantly, how would you describe the graphics. the best looking monsters you ever seen in a commercial doom game? i will hopp to youtube of course later.

i played doom 2 rpg on ios, some monsters looked like cartoon figures, comic-style, because of the higher resolution of the models. they overworked the models.

Bild nicht gefunden.

The 360 ports of Doom run at 1080i with borders either side, as they couldn't be arsed making it 16:9, but it DOES run in HD.

hm something with borders isnt 16:9, i think hd (720,1080) needs 16:9. maybe im wrong.

do you think the monsters were overworked, something was added for a higher resolution?

HD can be 4:3 resolutions, it seems this port is ~1440x1080i. And the monsters in that video are the same monsters as the original versions of Doom. It would need a sprite upscaling pack to change them, and no one had made a complete set yet.

interesting. what you mean with sprite upscaling pack. new sprites with more detail or hammer the sprites through some graphic tool. i guess the first one :>

Badboy said:

interesting. what you mean with sprite upscaling pack. new sprites with more detail or hammer the sprites through some graphic tool. i guess the first one :>

Well, a lot of morons do the latter and try to call it "HD", just by applying a filter. There are some cool ones where actual effort is put in, but many of these are sadly incomplete.

can you give me some names please.

until now i didnt see much model packs, but what i saw was crap. but to be honest, i even didnt like the comic style monsters in iOS Doom 2 RPG. maybe i have these pixel-fanatasies and when it comes to more details it destroyes my imaginary.

i heard people talking about graphic in general, that its all a design decision. so i wanna see a good decision :)

Badboy said:

do you think the monsters were overworked, something was added for a higher resolution?

The sprites and textures in this port are generally the same as they were in the oldest commercial PC Doom games. In both cases each sprite basically appears as a fixed number of colored, sharp-edged squares or blocks, and all these blocks are scaled larger as they get closer to your character, and smaller as they get farther away. When they get far enough away, there's not space left to include all of the scalable blocks and still draw the sprite/texture at the correct size. At that point some blocks are sacrificed or overlapped, and the image begins to lose complexity.

The Xbox360 port provides more pixels on the screen for your POV than the original PC games did, and this larger canvas means the sprites/textures can maintain more of their complexity at greater distances. As such, objects and textures here tend to look better at medium and long range than they did in the old PC games, even though they're both using the same artwork.

i just found out. the advertising of the xbla versions were a bit on the surface with "enhanced graphics" and "5.1 surround sound". so i wanted to be sure there isnt any little detail new. i mean what others wrote like "the highest resolution in a commercial classic doom game" isnt difficult to do, doom95 was in the Doom Collector's Edition from 2003 ;)