Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Can't decide what to do with this palette

So, I've got 31 indexes left to fill (the last one will be a repeat of index 0 for technical reasons), and I'm not sure what to fill them with. What do you guys think should be added to this to make it more complete? Bright cyan ranges? A gradient from yellow to red? And would you change anything about the existing ranges?

Looks like you have only 16 indices for each range - I get the feeling you'll want to double up a couple - maybe the brown and grey?

Judging purely by the glaring colormap discontinuity in the green range, you probably need a desaturated green.

Honestly, I'm still not sure if I want to do things Strife-style in the colormap and only change brightness of color ranges within its own color range, looking smoother but sometimes a little screwy, or do it Doom-style and just use all of the colors, being more accurate, but a bit uglier in a way.

I'm trying to go for as little redundancy as possible and as much variety as possible. Maybe I'll forget the uniform range size and just cut out ones that are far too similar.

Jimmy91 said:

Looks like you have only 16 indices for each range - I get the feeling you'll want to double up a couple - maybe the brown and grey?

Heh, funny, because I already cut the gray indices in half to make room for some new colors since I felt that the current range is somehow still too limiting.

printz said:

Oh man, this looks colourful.

It's for Koliko's Adventure, so go figure. :)

Foxpup said:

Judging purely by the glaring colormap discontinuity in the green range, you probably need a desaturated green.

Thanks, I'll try that.

That's quite nice!
Anyway, sorry to butt-in and hijack your thread but I have a quick question about the Doom palette.

I want to create some custom textures, I know Doom is limited to how many colours it can display at once and I dont just want to start pratting around in paintshop pro without having an idea what the standard doom palette is, is there a palette I can download or an image that I can use to generate a palette I can work with.

I would assume that your going to be fiddling with the PLAYPAL in someway with your palette above, I think this is something I would avoid for now as my technical knowledge needs to develop quite a lot!!

Thanks for any help and again, apologies for jumping into your thread.

Dave

Phendrena said:

That's quite nice!
Anyway, sorry to butt-in and hijack your thread but I have a quick question about the Doom palette.

I want to create some custom textures, I know Doom is limited to how many colours it can display at once and I dont just want to start pratting around in paintshop pro without having an idea what the standard doom palette is, is there a palette I can download or an image that I can use to generate a palette I can work with.

SLADE 3 can convert palettes into various formats used by image editing software. Notably raw format (basically identical to what Doom uses, though for a single palette instead of a full collection of them), PNG (just a square image displaying each color), comma-separated values (a plain text description of each color), JASC (used by Paintshop Pro), and Gimp (used by the Gimp).

To do so, you need to select a palette lump and use "Palette->Export as..." menu command. (You can also right-click on a palette entry and look for "Palette->Export As" in the context menu.)

You will find the palette as the PLAYPAL lump in the IWAD. If you want, SLADE also has a large collection of built-in palettes, so you can add one to your mod with Archive->New->PLAYPAL, and then select the palette you want from the drop-down list.

Of course you can. The PLAYPAL lump is a data lump like any other, and it can be replaced easily, even in vanilla.

The only difference between ZDoom and other engines as far as palettes are concerned is that ZDoom only uses the first palette and achieves palette flashes through screen blending. A PLAYPAL lump normally contains 14 palettes (28 in Hexen), which are derived from the first. SLADE 3 can generate the palette range from a single palette, by the way.

If every map is in a separate wad loaded independently, so you have to quit and restart between each level, then yes.