Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

darkreaver said:

I just replayed the map I submitted here, and I don`t like it, so I`d like to withdraw it.

edit: same goes for "Damnation"

Nooooooo!

Forgot if I mentioned but I probably won't remix that one map I 'claimed' if someone else wants to. My idea was make it a big circle of short one-way cliffs essentially, so that you can only go in one direction around the whole map 'track', then have walk over lines so you have to do 3 laps with new stuff happening + a key becoming available on each lap. But I don't have time I guess.

Phml said:

Nooooooo!

Thirded. I haven't played Damnation yet, but I liked Pure Hate. :P

mork - do you think you'll contribute a map? It won't be the same without a MORK MAP. :)

I dunno wth is happening right now, but I can't extract the new version of crimson. winrar says the file is corrupt. I want to provide with feedback! I really liked what I saw in the first version.

Here's a new version anyway: Crimson 06/07

Minor fixes and small adjustements here and there. Added difficulty settings and co-op starts. Potentially final version as far as I'm concerned, but of course still open to and interested in feedback and suggestions.

maybe, a half year is a long time, but i have to play the shitty game called 'irl' for now

I think I'll break my half-year long exile from anything Doom by making a map for this. I feel I can actually complete a map now without growing disgusted with it.

It has been a while, but now it is that time again.
I have been slowly putting this one together over the last month, it is quite lengthy, it has difficulties, it is just about as done as I can make it without any feedback.

The first few battles are not that great but I really enjoy the dark/black tower fight(technically that part isnt even a slaughter battle), so I would advise that you dont stop playing before that.

Well anyway here's the link:

Fourtress
http://www.mediafire.com/?8emh3ol5dusbeim

Playing Slaughtenstein I noticed I set the lifts leading to the invul secret to be "S1", meaning you can get locked out of the secret entirely. Changed these line actions and nothing else, hopefully I didn't break anything...

Slaughtenstein 12/09

FDA for Fourtress. I got up to that part on top of the tower with cybies and cacos coming out of the windows, and died repeatedly at that point so didn't push further.

Overall, I had fun.

The start was a bit of a timesink. With this twisted layout, monsters don't pose too much of a threat as long as you don't block yourself, and having nothing but the SSG doesn't really turn up the challenge as much as it slows you down.

I think it wouldn't hurt if the rocket launcher was available right away. Not necessarily with a bunch of rockets. As little as a single box (+ the RL) could make the difference, seeing as typically you've got about 10-12 revenants left to clear when the fight is essentially over. The RL could be behind one of the two arachnotron groups, and the rocket box behind the other one, as to make grabbing it somewhat interesting.

The megasphere right before dropping down into the cave area felt overkill. I also wish there was a way to get back up - not too fond of areas you can't get back to.

The cave part was alright. It would have been cool to see the walls opening up revealing more monsters, like in that later part of Deus Vult 1. As it is, having the hordes nicely bunched up in front of you just makes it a matter of holding down the trigger finger and sidestepping every once in a while.

Graphically, I would have liked to see more lava falls on the sides of the walls, to spice it up a little. I thought the yellow floor and gothic black/light pillars didn't blend in too well. Perhaps having an opening on the right, an alternate path leading to the exit could have been nice as well, to make for more dynamic fights.

Another pet peeve: there wasn't a lot of non-damaging ground in that part, and most of it was denied by the monsters. Admittedly, there are many, many medikits laying around, and I assume this was your intent all along - have a steady health depletion to keep the player on their toes. I think it works, but somehow it bugs me a little. :)

Didn't care much for the outdoor area, but I suspect that's because I haven't seen what was left to come.

Climbing onto the first tower... Quite the creative use of midtextures! I sat there taking in the sights for a second. The fight seemed too hard to me, cacos coming out of the windows blocking your back at critical moments making you mess up your dodges. I think if those cacos were lost souls (so they took less space and were easier to dispatch), it might be more fun. I didn't like the arch-vile near the end much either, it's the last thing you need after a frantic and protracted close quarters fight.

Imp #1118 is stuck in the architecture.

Looking at the megasphere (cave) secret in DB2, I think the lift could stand to be slightly more obvious... You gave a hint with the wall indentation and sharp, straight 90° angle, but personally, when I see a rock texture similar to every other rock texture it doesn't occur to me to try to press "use" on it. :)

Would it be too much of a task to suggest that we'd play through already made maps somewhat more thoroughly and express detailedly what to change, alter, remake or whatever so it won't end up sucky? I mean especially those maps not made by veterans of DW's megaepic-slaughter-pros-club-delight-omg-whoah. Oh, and if authors of those maps won't be around, would it be too much of a sin to alter them anyway? -- I think not, as it would be a worthy sacrifice for actual worthwhileness of wad but that's just me and I'm sleazy bitch in this regard. It would be better if we could evade this last minute humonguous changing like with last sf. I'm not sure I'd be able to tag around until christmas so that's especially why I'm bringing this up.

Not a bad idea. No promises on my end, but I'll try to replay some maps in the following weeks.

Got to admit I can understand the benefits of using a website rather than a forum post for that kind of stuff. What we have here is ideal for conversations, but tracking various feedback and changes for any particular map gets tedious.

Final level concept - I don't like IoS maps or time-based maps in general, and I didn't like this one. Not worth posting a FDA as my attempts were mostly just running forward, getting stuck by infinitelytall cacos and blasted to death by the arch-vile as a result. I did not complete it.

The Side Winder - I have no clue how to load multiple texture wads in PrBoom+. It seems to only accept one and disregard all others.

FDA for WarbornQF. Didn't complete. I think it was just one life.

I remember having tried this map a few months back when you posted it in another topic, and if I'm not mistaken I didn't post any feedback because even though I found it entertaining, it also frustrated me greatly; I had the same issues again playing it today, so it confirms (if only to me) this first impression.

It's a lot of instant death situations, or possibly "no win" situations. You're either at full life and at no danger, or desesperately trying to find a safe spot. You either have more ammo than you know what to do with, or so little every shot becomes critical.

Those cybies in small rooms are brutal, likewise with the archies (I think that was the part where I died and gave up on my initial playthrough). Without foreknowledge, it's very easy to trap yourself in a position where you can't progress.

I'm at a loss for suggestions. Mainly, I don't think the original E4M1 layout is appropriate at all for hordes or cyberdemons. The teleporting hellknights could go away as far as I'm concerned. I don't think those cybies in the east outdoor area should be facing towards the door either, if you don't dash in that unknown part right away (often a bad idea, and not something you generally want to do near the end of a map), you risk being trapped in the cramped red key room with the cybies closing in.

I'm going from top of OP

Lava castle - ToD's map, has demo, slaughter-wise most of his maps are excellent, so why bother.

Shore of hell V3 - FDA, well sort of as I recall it a bit. I played version one and thought it was awesome - it had great nonlinearity, was fun, and pretty much all the awesome stuff. But what the hell? I mean seriously, why ditch it for this? It's almost obsolete compared to first version of this map. I'd rather ask right away if anybody happens to have first version still somewhere deep in doom folder (I deleted it and so did author). If nobody has it, then it will be a lot of work, if almost possible to get it to level of its first version. It's linear, boring, relies on preknowledge and willingness to die or forces player to go through very heavy ssg tedium, closing off the beginning of map entirely is a stupid idea, mancubus platforms are unnecessary to be repopulated again, fights on stairs are rather bad than not bad and that's pretty much the end. It needs more ammo, more monsters, and it needs its first version to replace this ASAP.

Red Death - FDA - got it in first try. I know I'm in pretty grumpy mood today but I wouldn't call this anything different than garbage even if I were high on extasy. Bland, boring, uninspired, repetitive and stupid. Author clearly has little to no experience with slaughter gameplay whatsoever.

I see the complaint that my map will not show all the texture packs in prboom+, unfortunatly that is a problem with prboom+ not being able to use more than one pack. Can someone combine all the texture packs into one offical slaughter pack? I don't really want to limit my level to one tex pack to make it compatible, but on the other hand i dont really want to spend a bunch of time to retex my levels (and everyone else probably agrees that did theirs..) any solutions to this problem other than me suggesting to play my level on a different source port?

Slaughterfest maps should be playtested in PrBoom+, this is the target port. Other ports may use different rules resulting in balance and gameplay issues.

For example, with ZDoom, even setting compatibility to Boom, disabling mouselook, turning on infinitelytall actors and removing the blockmap fix, monsters still move differently - more freely, able to fit in spaces of their exact width or height, which isn't possible in Boom.