Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

The End is Near! Apparently..

As well as being the 11th Anniversary of the September 11th Attacks, Tuesday also marked 100 days to go until the apparent apocalypse. And I'm..soo scared....but I can't say I've seen many Doomsayers (no pun) around. Infact, the only one I've seen was outside London Paddington station, who was shouting about everyone being punished and the end is near and all of that twaddle.
How many of you have seen these people about? And what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

My personal opinion: A minor earthquake in the pacific will provide a piss-poor attempt at a tsunami, and as a result, the people of Tuvalu will get a good chance to go surfing.

Eris Falling said:

what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

I expect a lot of butthurt 2012 believers. Not much else.

I'll probably get a serious flu and also my liver will collapse, causing me to change all my habits, as well as expose me to more diseases. Maybe it will happen in January while I cram for my exams.

Eris Falling said:

what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

Winter solstice.

Kristus said:

Again?

This one though is THE end, allegedly.
There have been all those wackos saying that the world is going to end over the years, but I am now referring to the so-called 2012 phenomenon

Apocalypse a day after my birthday? Thanks rumors, I appreciate it. There was a an article in a wired magazine that gave like 5 reasons 2012 is fake.

I'll crack open a bottle of La Fin du Monde. Unlike exp(x), I'm quite fond of Belgian beers (even the ones that come from Canada!).

I'm a little nervous about this "December 21, 2012 being the end of the world" conspiracy too but we can't be too sure if it will actually happen. Besides, most people don't believe it will be the day the world ends, so we shouldn't be too worried.

I think the Mayan calendar thingy changed last year. My brother's girlfriend was into that stuff and they were having some little celebration type of stuff the day it changed and the next week.

I thought it was because the Mayan calender resets to their first one on that day. But what do I know?

It's all bollocks if you ask me, and there's nothing to be worried about. Just wondering what everyone thought about it.

Asteroid Impact Theory: No known asteroids are coming even remotely close around that time.

Galactic Alignment Theory: The Sun and Saggitarius A* align, creating an apocalyptic gravitational effect on the earth. No...just no...The Sun is actually a relatively small star, and Saggitarius A*, while being a massive black hole, is sitting in the centre of the galaxy 30,000 light years away.

EDIT: @Jimi, yeah, it was worked out that the apocalypse, once you take into account newer calenders since the prediction, the actual date came out as sometime in July 2011. Earth looks fine to me.

Eris Falling said:

No...just no...The Sun is actually a relatively small star

No, it's actually not. Among main sequence stars, the sun is reasonably large and far larger and brighter than the vast majority of stars in general.

Don't forget though that there a very large number of stars out there which probably could have the effect I described (Such as VY Canis Majoris, which has a diameter of over 1 billion miles IIRC). Infact, if there would be any apocalypse, it would be due to gamma ray bursts shooting out of the resulting supernovæ from those sort of stars. (VY Canis Majoris should be visible for 13 billion light years upon it's explosion)

I'm slightly worried about science magazines telling about some solar flares that could disrupt electrical equipment. Like could my computer burn.. lose all my data? Would it also affect usb memory sticks? Mmm.. perhaps I need to store my usb memory stick far away from the computer...

What you need is a lead-lined chest to store your digital memories in, which should also provide some protection from EMP blasts. If you're a little paranoid, add a Faraday Cage for a second layer of protection.

Any clues as to how it all ends? I'm hoping it's demonic invasion since I'm sort of prepared to deal with that.

There's those people who believe in luck of matching date numbers so they will obviously think 12/12/12 is a lucky day.