Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Duke Nukem Forever is 5 years old

...and it's not even out yet.

April 28, 1997:

"Broussard continues, "Duke Nukem Forever will have all of the functionality of Quake and bring in the new Quake II functions, too, including support for 3D hardware, colored lights, Internet multiplayer capability (including a QuakeWorld similar setup) and other cool things too soon to mention. The Quake engine is a joy to work with and players have yet to see its full potential, which we plan to exploit. As Duke would say: 'This is gonna rock!'."

“We have every intention of converting Duke Forever to the Nintendo 64. We'll probably have the same companies working on Quake 64 do the port."

Just think, these people are paid to make PowerPoint presentations and mock screenshots to show their publisher. The only difference between this and most other game projects is, the publishers don't release the screenshots to the press.

There'd not be a lot of point in releasing screenshots of DK Forever, since its not likely to be anything like how it was when it was started if it ever gets released.

Heh, AFAIK DNF's not going to see another E3...they still have like one month more.

Hey, if Millennium can do it, surely they can.

Just curious, how long did it take them to relaese Duke3d?
I seem to remember that that too took quite a while to get out on the shelves, but maybe I'm mistaking it for something else.

They started using build in 94. DN3D was released as shareware in first half of 96 (can't remember when the full version was avail). Nowhere near as long as DNF has taken.

See I never look forward to an id release, they're all just tech with a mediocre game stuffed into it. I look forward to Duke4Ever, though, since 3D Realms uses someone else's tech and stuffs a badass game into it.

The problem is...based on what? ONE game. ONE game they did RIGHT before true 3D existed. And they call themselves really great developers.

Hah, right. I need more games to discern wether they're good or not.

Taken from their site :

Screw the deadlines...wait till they see this game!

Right.

GooberMan said:

They started using build in 94. DN3D was released as shareware in first half of 96 (can't remember when the full version was avail). Nowhere near as long as DNF has taken.

Yeah, but DN3d is nowhere near as complicated as DN4ever and DN3d was still rather long underway considering its engine.
It's like comparing the Doom engine (the old one) to the Q3A engine.

deadnail said:

See I never look forward to an id release, they're all just tech with a mediocre game stuffed into it. I look forward to Duke4Ever, though, since 3D Realms uses someone else's tech and stuffs a badass game into it.

Then WHAT THE FUCK are you doing on the DOOMworld forums you fucking hypocrite =)

bigbadgangsta said:

DKF looks pretty fucking sweet though...

What's the point in looking sweet if the game never gets released in the first fucking place?!

I can't even take them seriously anymore, 2 years ago is when I stopped caring about it.

darknation said:

Daikatana has been defeated!

Every game beats Daikatana.

orion said:

I can't even take them seriously anymore, 2 years ago is when I stopped caring about it.

I stopped caring when I found Doomworld and saw just how active the Doom Community still was/is.

DooMBoy said:

What's the point in looking sweet if the game never gets released in the first fucking place?!

SO WE CAN OOGLE OVER TEH SCREENSHOTS!

Archvile64 said:

YOU = DEAD

deadnail said:

See I never look forward to an id release, they're all just tech with a mediocre game stuffed into it.

Well, Quake 2 was imho WAY more fun than Unreal - Unreal was just pretty graphics, sucky weapons and veeeery few enemies that were any fun at all.
And I don't give a livin' shit about guys like you or any id hater - I think that id are capable of delivering fun games when they really put a slight bit of effort into gameplay - they clearly put more effort into sp gameplay than engine tech in Quake 2 than in the other two Quakes.

I mean, wasn't Doom the most entertainning game available when it was new?
It was to me - have never had so much fun in my entire life!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archvile64 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU = DEAD

*Me doesn't think so
*Me watches the whole forest of weapons pointing at Liam the Bard
Any last wishes?

i heard they ran out of cash last year so the whole project is on hold. i believe they may have scraped it all together anyway. if it is every released it will suck ass. but i dout it will ever see the light of day.

"See I never look forward to an id release, they're all just tech with a mediocre game stuffed into it. "

This is the type of comment that is thrown off when someone is having an acute Alzheimer's attack. Ya right! Doom 1&2, Quake 1,2,3, Wolfenstien are all mediocre games and their gazillion buyers are ignorant idiots.

then if u think doom is bad why are u here. i will agree about later games, mainly quake3. however wolf3d was very good and a great game for its time. doom was also great, full of action and atmosphere as well as all the tech stuff for its day. though after quake they began to market their engine to make more money. quake3 was fun for 5 minutes but it has sucked ass ever sence those 5 minutes ended

A site that I found today had DNF available for preorder. Not that that really means much... I've preordered items almost a year in advance before, so there's no telling when the game will come out. Come to think of it, TF2 was also there for preorder... as if that were ever going to be released either...

At any rate, I managed to buy Quake 2(replacing the CD I lost), Daikatana, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, and Deus Ex all for about $35. I'm pretty happy about that.

umm seth, he was being sarcastic in the last sentance

sirdaved said:

Doom 1&2, Quake 1,2,3, Wolfenstien are all mediocre games and their gazillion buyers are ignorant idiots.

Just like N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears are the most talented and unique musicians to ever come along and their millions and millions of fans are complete and utter idiots.

Amanichen said:

Then WHAT THE FUCK are you doing on the DOOMworld forums you fucking hypocrite =)

Maybe...HE LIKES DOOM...did that thought cross your mind?

I remember an article in an issue of PC World ages ago about the followup to Quake.. on the cards was Quake 2, Sin, Prey, Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana, a few others, and Half life.

Personally I'm suprised people are still riding the quake wave this late on... Halflife was the only one to truly impress me anyway.

I've been playing through halflife with just the crowbar recently and we've got suprisingly far... right now, I need to somehow blow up some explosive crates just before the bit with the helicopter over the dam. My strategy is to run over to them with a scientist I coaxed out, and then leave him there and let the miniguns fire at him thus destroying the crates. But its easier said than done!

So far we've done some pretty insane things, like navigating around things you are supposed to destroy by walking along VERY thin ledges, using crates as cover past lots and lots of miniguns (and I don't mean just hiding behind it, we've had to drag it through most of the levels concerned). Killing marines is VERY hard but if you run up to them before they shoot they get pretty startled and you can hit them pretty hard.

The worst bit by far was getting past some tripmines that you couldn't jump over or crouch under, you had to simply run through them.. started 100/100 ended 22/0 (which was lucky).