Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Mmm.. well, not exactly something about Doom, but sort of. I was watching Doctor Who and there were these episodes The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit and they had sounds from Doom. They were the door opening and closing sounds. The story was sort of Doom like too.

Jimi said:

Mmm.. well, not exactly something about Doom, but sort of. I was watching Doctor Who and there were these episodes The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit and they had sounds from Doom. They were the door opening and closing sounds. The story was sort of Doom like too.

I noticed that too when I saw them recently. Pretty awesome episodes.

Jimi said:

Yeah! I noticed that a few years back. I think they are library sounds.

Fantastic episodes though. I should watch them again sometime, see if there's anymore (I can imagine that the sound of Spawn cube is in there somewhere)..I was 9 when it first went out. Scared the shit out of me, couldn't watch it for a few years after LOL

Yea, I think that spawn cube sound was in there too, but that sound is just used so much in everything when there's some big flame/explosion thing starting. So that sound doesn't really sound like Doom to me. But when I heard the door sounds in the episode, I knew for sure what kind of episode it was going to be...

Also the horned beast in the 2nd episode reminded me of the Cyberdemon, maybe a bit more the Doom3 one.

Jimi said:

they had sounds from Doom. They were the door opening and closing sounds.

I once heard some guy in a cartoon making former human dieing noise when a witch turned him into a cow. It was quite suprising.

Scypek2 said:

I once heard some guy in a cartoon making former human dieing noise when a witch turned him into a cow. It was quite suprising.

One of those really does sound like that. I've once heard that the Hell Knight's death noise is a distorted jaguar voice, why can't this be a distorted moo-ing then?

Something else I just found out, although it was mentioned (and indeed discovered) on these forums back in 2008 - the source has some commented-out code that enables a crude sliding door effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3hQfo9ju0

It would presumably have replicated the sliding doors from the original Wolfenstein, but it was never finished:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C00n4rDUMNo

And to this day id have been unable to put sliding doors in their games because they never learned how. Quake? Doom III? The sliding doors you see in those games are crude illusions. This is probably why the company is less popular than it used to be. People wanted sliding doors; id couldn't deliver. Thus Halo.

Ashley_Pomeroy said:

The sliding doors you see in those games are crude illusions.

Doom's level geometry is perfectly static - vertices do not move, z coordinate notwithstanding - it's not really there, as you may know. This simplicity is the epitome of its efficiency. They would have to tear down and rewrite everything to make those wolf3d doors work. Thus, "abandoned in the mists of time". And polybjects were nothing more than another hack, albeit a very elegant one.
Indeed you were ironizing, but talking about Quake, it's weird how they had left out rotatable objects. The majority of Quake's levels are medieval castles and dungeons - and not a single goddamn hinged door. Besides, it was very easy to do in QC - as hipnotic's first mission pak did.

BUILD (Duke3D, Blood) instead has movable sectors.

And I believe Hexen has some simplified effects to present opening gates (although it may just be a sequence of immediately raising sectors).
__

P.S.:

Is there really no mapper who can explain a)?

LigH said:

Is there really no mapper who can explain a)?

Wild shot in the dark, having not actually seen the WAD in question (I should probably confirm this guess before posting it, but it's really the only logical answer): The trigger is probably a single-sided linedef with two sidedefs (yes, this is a valid structure), the back side of which references the door sector, and which uses a good old-fashioned local door action, thus requiring no tags. No doubt this unusual setup was used to keep you from using a map editor to figure out how to get to the secrets (cheater!)

EDIT: Nevermind, I've just checked and this isn't what's going on at all, and I have no idea what, if anything, actually is going on.

If you want to have a closer look, these are the sectors in question: #782, #795

I wonder if there may be source ports which fail to trigger them.

All right, I just downloaded EVILTECH.WAD, examined MAP19, and I think I can safely say that I am completely and utterly flummoxed. Ignore my previous suggestion, there's nothing like that going on here. There's definitely no lines (unusual or otherwise) associated with the sectors in any way except for the ones which actually enclose the sectors, and none of those have any tags or actions of any kind. There are also no definitely no sector specials or actions that would transfer sector specials involved. Do you actually know for a fact that these secrets are even accessible at all, and not just a bug? If so, any information on how to access these secrets would be helpful.

No, sorry, I can't confirm that they are actually accessible. They did not open in Risen3D.

A release bug (forgotten triggers) seems to be probable to me.

P.S.: Notified the author.

LigH said:

And I believe Hexen has some simplified effects to present opening gates (although it may just be a sequence of immediately raising sectors).

Nah, that's polyobjects.

Found some new things in TNT Map15 (Dead Zone).

One is in the secret hallway that has a couple of health potions, and invisibility/invincibility spheres. There's a hidden door within that hallway that has a teleporter. It takes you into this tiny area where you're facing outside behind a 1-way fake wall. There's nothing in here, though, and it doesn't count towards your secrets score. Maybe it was a hiding spot for multiplayer (because there are a couple of areas in this map that are accessible only in multiplayer, too)?

Also, I found a Rocket Launcher in that map that I NEVER knew about. This one is also in a secret hallway. It's in that hallway that has a switch that lowers a teleporter so you can get to an Invisibility Sphere on the exterior part of the map. In this hallway is a hidden door that has a Rocket Launcher behind it. This doesn't count towards your secrets either.

Imp said:

<tumblr nonsense>

I never knew this.. Blew my mind

I really don't think it was in anyway an intentional reference to Kobain's suicide.

Fact is, most Doom II maps have a shotgun close to the start point; and there are other Doom maps named some idea of the afterlife (Nirvana, but also Limbo, the Spirit World, Dis, etc.). A coincidence was hard to avoid. The level is not named after the band.

And directly behind the SSG is a hanging corpse faced by 3 imp headbangers...

But if this is truly meant to be the dimension referred to as "Nirvana" (as in D&D cosmology, or similar model), then what is doomguy doing there? He's supposed to be on Earth, or Hell (or both). It doesn't really add up, and I suspect the developers were just fishing for cool names (like they did in Thy Flesh Consumed).

Aside from the actual plot, and if you don't mind "metagaming" (RPG terminology) a little, a case can also be made that getting the SSG and all those medikits right at the start is the closest representation of nirvana in Doom.

Gez said:

I really don't think it was in anyway an intentional reference to Kobain's suicide.

I don't think that image is suggesting it's a reference. It's just saying it's an interesting coincidence. I also recall there was a game in the 80's or 90's in which 2 towers are destroyed in a similar way to the incident in 9/11.

my brother and me are playing some coop in the last days (usually we play 1on1) and we found out that you can slide on each other player

if we both have the correct angle and are running "into" each other, then we speed up very fast:

North ^

X1 X2

X1 is running north north east
X2 is running north north west

-> we speed up and are running north

if you put pain elemental behind an impassible cage, it can't hurt you.
Stupid? I know.

EDIT: I forgot, there's a secret "level" of doom in RAGE. I have that game,but I never were able to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybq3yfL2L9I

I just wanted to point that out, it'a pretty cool.

Yeah, but it could be used as a devious trap...

Doomguy is visiting the zoo and gets to the PE cage: "Oh look at them cute silly thaings" (as the lost souls start to fill up the cage). Later he goes to the restroom and chooses the "wrong" stall which teleports inside the cage: "Ahhh WTF is this???" (caught with his pants down!)

Simp0 said:

I forgot, there's a secret "level" of doom in RAGE. I have that game,but I never were able to find it.

I saw that video too, I just wonder if the secret switch behind a pillar is there too? If would be also cool if you would be able to open doors or blow up barrels too...

Scypek2 said:

I saw that video too, I just wonder if the secret switch behind a pillar is there too? If would be also cool if you would be able to open doors or blow up barrels too...

Emphasis is on "would be" since the map is just lifeless geometry for the bobble thing.

Simp0 said:

if you put pain elemental behind an impassible cage, it can't hurt you.
Stupid? I know.

EDIT: I forgot, there's a secret "level" of doom in RAGE. I have that game,but I never were able to find it.

Did anyone notice the top comment on this vid?

Take that, Rage! 47 likes too. While we are there guys, we could all like that comment too.

Also I agree with what others here have said.. The E1M1 area looked awful. Lifeless and static.