Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

Which Episode of Doom 1 are your favorite?

Just an question about Doom 1. My favorite are Inferno. Cool design, kick alien asses and realistic feel. Yours guys? My worst are 4th and only Doom 1 episode that added later, Thy Flesh Consumed because feel is lost. I know E4M6 was cool one, but E4M2, E4M&, E4M9, they so sucks for my opinion.

E4M2 is a masterpiece, silly.

I've a soft spot for Episode 2. Everyone knows Episode 1 is the best, as a scientifically-provable fact; but Episode 2 has some amazing moments. And they're E2M2, E2M4 and E2M7. They are, you know.

ComicMischief said:

Episode 2 has some amazing moments. And they're E2M2, E2M4 and E2M7. They are, you know.

Of course. That's because Tom Hall is far superior to Sandy Petersen.

I agree. Each episode has something its own. Episode 2 is cool but sometimes reminds me of most borning game of world. But E2M7 is pretty good. E2M6 sucks as a *******CENSORD******* !

LakiSoft said:

*******CENSORD******* !

While I too dislike that particular level, please don't write like that, it's fucking retarded.

Sodaholic said:

While I too dislike that particular level, please don't write like that, it's fucking retarded.

I don't know which word i should use use for E2M6 it's simply sucks.

LakiSoft said:

I don't know which word i should use use for E2M6 it's simply sucks.

I dunno, say "shitty" or something. Misspelling "censored" in all caps with highly unnecessary asterisks (these things: *) surrounding it is extremely annoying.

Sodaholic said:

I dunno, say "shitty" or something. Misspelling "censored" in all caps with highly unnecessary asterisks (these things: *) surrounding it is extremely annoying.

I am just kidding.

Halls of the Damned is great. Sandy Petersen is a clever designer who put a lot of thoughts into his maps; and you yokels can't appreciate his brilliance.

Episode 2 is the best and the one i was much more inspired on theme mapping (you know, human bases converted in demonic forts, that mix of dimensions always intrigued me... yes, there's pandemonium on Inferno episode, but that base never convinced me to be human at all, just a building made for mocking of the doomguy, like that swastika in e1m4, or i don't known, since the rest of the episode is much more hellish... yes, including that few technological parts in e3m4 and the white room with the sergeants in e3m9...)

lakisoft said:

e2m6 sucks

Oh, you get trolled from that fake exit, right? Eh, even in my younger days i get fuckin' pissed from that bad taste joke... like i used to make IDKFA on map18 for exiting to the level (since i think there was only the starting room LOL)

walter confalonieri said:

Oh, you get trolled from that fake exit, right? Eh, even in my younger days i get fuckin' pissed from that bad taste joke... like i used to make IDKFA on map18 for exiting to the level (since i think there was only the starting room LOL)

Yes but only first two or three times. E2M6 fake exit is good trap. ;)

darkreaver said:

cool topic dude

It did provide us a brief moment of Sodaholic v. LakiSoft, which would have been a debate where no matter who loses, everyone else wins.

Episodes 2-4 had some good moments, but e4 have quite repeatative themes, e3 often felt just... not hellish enough. And e2 and e3 just didn't have so good level design like episode 1. Episode 1 wins.

Scypek2 said:

Episodes 2-4 had some good moments, but e4 have quite repeatative themes, e3 often felt just... not hellish enough. And e2 and e3 just didn't have so good level design like episode 1. Episode 1 wins.

E1 wins cuz it's first made. Ep2 - Ep4 was made later and maybe ID Guys lose ideas durning that time. Always first levels are better. :)

It might be an odd way of looking at it but you could split ultimate doom like final doom was. Episode 1 is kind of like Plutonia as there is a solid high standard throughout the episode, whilst Episodes 2 -4 are more like TNT where there is a real mixed bag in quality yet amongst the various duds are some levels which are really special and memorable.
From my viewpoint episode 1 just kicks ass and is my favourite episode.
Someone will probably section me for this post :P

Snakes said:

It did provide us a brief moment of Sodaholic v. LakiSoft, which would have been a debate where no matter who loses, everyone else wins.

Still on the shitlist I presume

Anywhosen I enjoy all of the classic Doom games.

cannonball said:

Episode 1 is kind of like Plutonia as there is a solid high standard throughout the episode, whilst Episodes 2 -4 are more like TNT where there is a real mixed bag in quality yet amongst the various duds are some levels which are really special and memorable.

I daresay Episode 4 is the most consistent in terms of theme; almost to the point of being repetitive, actually. Which is what some would argue Plutonia to be like, but the themes change more than folk let on; levels like Impossible Mission and Tombstone don't really fit in with the likes of Congo, Speed or Neurosphere.

I don't really think such a comparison can be made anyway. Episodes 1-4 are like episodes 1-4. Plutonia is a bit like episode 4 in places but mostly has its own distinct identity. TNT is a bit like everything, and a bit like none of them.

And I really don't think episode 3 has any dud levels; with the arguable exception of Warrens, although its status as a secret level exempts it a bit.

ComicMischief said:

Everyone knows Episode 1 is the best, as a scientifically-provable fact

Good to know I have science on my side.

I guess E3 was designed the way it was to give the feeling that hell isn't an enjoyable place to be even though it also affects peoples liking of the episode.

My favorite episode would have to be either E2 or E4.