Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Hotel Of Doom

Most likely no, the budget for this building ran out ages ago and they've never done anything with it since. It'd be interesting to see it reclaimed as a real life DM area of sorts though.

They restarted it recently with the help of a foreign contractor. The glass exterior in shown in the article is all recent work. I just keep wondering if all that concrete, built by communists and exposed for twenty years, is structurally sound.

Meatspace atriums never work as DM maps anyway. Not enough fast interconnects between the different areas without heavy redesign.

Might make an interesting map for survival Hell Revealed style. The exit would be at the top where you have to shoot an icon of sin made to look like Kim Jong-un.

GreyGhost said:

Heh - interior looks like a cross between a multi-level car park and a deathmatch arena.

I was thinking more along the lines of placing Imps and Revenants and Barons on all of those balconies. Then about placing lots of barrels on the ground floor below them, with a Singleplayer starting point somewhere in the middle of all those barrels...
Oh, and uh, either a SoulSphere or a Blur artifcat would be somewhere to the far side, along with a shotgun :D
YES. That would be the sweetest map.

Pretty rad, actually think the outside looks a bit like something from HL2.

Somewhat unrelated, but the same guy that did the Hoover Dam and Bleeding Tower of Pisa also had a pretty nifty hotel level, 'Hotel Hell' I believe it was called.

Ed said:

Pretty rad, actually think the outside looks a bit like something from HL2.

it kinda feels like a blend between HL2 and Mirror's Edge, imo. the clean glass exterior and the open areas inside felt a lot like different moments from Mirror's Edge, sans the rough concrete texturing which makes it look more like HL2. i wonder how a fusion between those two games would feel like, actually...

Doomhuntress said:

it kinda feels like a blend between HL2 and Mirror's Edge, imo. the clean glass exterior and the open areas inside felt a lot like different moments from Mirror's Edge, sans the rough concrete texturing which makes it look more like HL2. i wonder how a fusion between those two games would feel like, actually...

I'm hoping for some more varied environments in Mirror's Edge 2, when/if it ever surfaces. Rusty old industrial sites, and such.

DoomUK said:

I'm hoping for some more varied environments in Mirror's Edge 2, when/if it ever surfaces. Rusty old industrial sites, and such.

In fact, I've got my fingers crossed that they do away with the interesting color schemes of the first and use only gunmetal grey and brown!

Nomad said:

In fact, I've got my fingers crossed that they do away with the interesting color schemes of the first and use only gunmetal grey and brown!

sarcasm aside, it'd be quite a cool contrast seeing the "old city" in the sequels, with its industrial greys alongside the stylistically clean, sharp colours of the much newer metropolis that took over it.

Ed said:

Somewhat unrelated, but the same guy that did the Hoover Dam and Bleeding Tower of Pisa also had a pretty nifty hotel level, 'Hotel Hell' I believe it was called.

There's a map called "Hotel Hell" in the third episode of Duke Nukem 3D. It contains tons of explodable fire extinguishers, packs of scurrying rats, and ventilation shafts perfect for some hide-and-seek. It's a map which is equally suitable for both Singleplayer and Deathmatch, cause I've played it in both modes with much pleasure.

Nomad said:

Except the first game is 90% white. Red objects which indicate interactability aren't there if you play it on the hardest difficulty, IIRC.

It's one of the best looking games out there, and the clinical hues were fitting for the kind of dystopian metropolis the game was set in. But it wasn't a kaleidoscope of colour.

HWGuy said:

Add Rocket Launchers and ammo and we have ourselves DM-Morbias.

I was thinking the same thing, this building would be better as an Unreal map rather than doom

DoomUK said:

Except the first game is 90% white. Red objects which indicate interactability aren't there if you play it on the hardest difficulty, IIRC.

It's one of the best looking games out there, and the clinical hues were fitting for the kind of dystopian metropolis the game was set in. But it wasn't a kaleidoscope of colour.

Clearly the majority of the next game should be grey, and interactable objects should be brown.

They should just bundle it with a mouse that has heat sensors in the top. Then the game can change its colours to suit, like a mood ring.

Come to think of it, this would make a great level for either Heretic or Hexen as well... Cause I can totally imagine a pack of Iron Liches or brown Chaos Serpents sniping from those balconies/ledges, while the main ground floor can be a huge mucky swamp filled with the most annoying Stalker lizards. Apply just a tiny bit of fog everywhere and PRESTO!