Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How do I completely disable the HUD? (including the weapons)

Is there a way in Zdoom that allows me to completely remove the HUD so that not even the gun shows up? Kind of like when you are in spectator mode in multiplayer?

I am asking this because I want to record vidoes of my levels without the hud getting in the way.

hardcore_gamer said:

I am asking this because I want to record vidoes of my levels without the hud getting in the way.

While in the game, press + several times to clear the statusbar.
To not show the weapons, I have this

bind h "r_drawplayersprites 0"
bind j "r_drawplayersprites 1"
in my autoexec.cfg
That saves a lot of typing.

Taken from the old and defunct Skulltag Expansion Pack (a set of aliases that provided shortcuts for a number of tasks), I have kept this:

alias cleansrn "savescrn;hidescrn;wait;screenshot;wait;resetsrn"
alias hidescrn "r_drawplayersprites 0;screenblocks 12;crosshair 0;show_messages 0"
alias savescrn "set ep_screenblocks $screenblocks; set ep_crosshair $crosshair; set ep_show_messages $show_messages"
alias resetsrn "r_drawplayersprites 1;crosshair $ep_crosshair;screenblocks $ep_screenblocks;show_messages $ep_show_messages"
Put this in your ZDoom autoexec.cfg. Then bind a key to cleansrn.

What happens is this: savescrn makes a copy of the values you are using for screenblocks, crosshair, and messages. hidescrn disable player sprites, makes the screen full-size, and hides messages and crosshair. resetsrn shows the player sprites and restores the messages, crosshair and screenblocks values saved by savescrn.

cleansrn takes a clean screenshot by calling savescvrn, then hidescrn, waits one tic to make sure messages disappear, takes a screenshot, waits another tic to make sure the screenshot is finished, and calls resetsrn to restore everything to normal.

Open the console (`) (that's the key next to 1, not apostrophe)
then just type the command.

Also Skulltag is dead, get Zandronum

Zandronum? I just use Skulltag for his Hi-res textures and easyness to create maps using Doombuilder 2...

Anyway... But I wanted it to be automatic. When the player loads a new game from my wad, it should show nothing: no gun, hud and crosshair, like its just spectating. If I had to enter this code every time I enter the game, it would ruin the idea.

runegoblin said:

Zandronum? I just use Skulltag for his Hi-res textures and easyness to create maps using Doombuilder 2...

It is Skulltag, except with a different name.

Anyway... But I wanted it to be automatic. When the player loads a new game from my wad, it should show nothing: no gun, hud and crosshair, like its just spectating. If I had to enter this code every time I enter the game, it would ruin the idea.

If you're using Skulltag/Zandronum, then there's the ConsoleCommand ACS function. However, if you're using ZDoom, then you're out of luck, as ZDoom doesn't and will never support that feature. So, don't bother going to the ZDoom forums asking for it to be added.

Hmmm... This Console Command seems exactly what I need. I'll try it and post the results here. Tnx!

--------------

Well, it worked perfectly! Tnx a lot, Blue Shadow!

For anyone who wants to do it later, it goes like this:

script 1 ENTER
{
ConsoleCommand("r_drawplayersprites 0");
ConsoleCommand("screenblocks 12");
ConsoleCommand("crosshair 0");
ConsoleCommand("show_messages 0");
}
Although the player can still shoot - the gun IS there, but is invisible - it really satisfies my interests.

Tnx a lot, again!