Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Psy Gangnam Style Phenonemon

Phml said:

Who is "we", anyway? As a reason to make music, beats to dance to is the lowest common denominator you can find. I'd wager people who do that are a minority among musicians.

Human beings made music and did so to dance to probably before complex language appeared or even earlier. It probably predates homo sapiens ffs.

Danceable music a monority? No fucking way, not now and not through the whole of human/hominid history.

Quast said:
Danceable music a monority?

You're right, its a STEREORITY!!

I just had to :P

Phml said:

Who is "we", anyway? As a reason to make music, beats to dance to is the lowest common denominator you can find. I'd wager people who do that are a minority among musicians.

Maybe in the mystical computer land of the 2000s. Quast already covered my thoughts on this more or less so refer to his above post for my response.

Carnevil said:

Seriously, why is this shit so INCREDIBLY popular? WHY?! Sure, maybe it's an entertaining song and all, but 10 MILLION views a day?! This only has like 300 views after 4 months and it's catchy as hell!

Seriously? You're complaining about the popularity of a Korean rap song to some repetitive, forgettable game music that lasts about a minute?

Also because nobody posted this yet:

I'm Ive not watched it, thankfully. All of the idiots in my class CONSTANTLY sing this song. Don't worry though, It's a just one of those memes that (hopefully) will fade away soon just like the un-funny "Arrow to the knee" fad.

I used to dance gangnam style; then I took an arrow in the knee.

I like danceable music too, but I like it to have music in it. Stuff that's just a repetitive beat is boring. I listen to a lot of disco for this reason - well, that and I like old synthesizers a lot.

The card shop I go to was playing it all day. I was hooked from the get-go, it's insanely catchy.

I don't give a shit about Psy or their hit single one bit. It's just overdone pop music, something I do not like.

I wonder how it would compare to older memes such as "Irrational Exuberance" (Yatta), "We Drink Ritalin" etc.,

Apart from Newgrounds, most Flash hosting sites don't keep count of views, so 10.000.000 views per day might not be anything exceptional, if you adjust them for factors such as penetration of broadband and social networks. Those older animutations still had to face dial-up connections and the most "social" spread they would ever get was via IM or e-mail.

It's wicked to dance to when it drops in the clubs!

(just joking but it was fun for a few days. 7 weeks is a long time to linger in the charts)

Carnevil said:

Seriously, why is this shit so INCREDIBLY popular? WHY?! Sure, maybe it's an entertaining song and all, but 10 MILLION views a day?! This only has like 300 views after 4 months and it's catchy as hell!

You just answered your own delusional ass: because it's entertaining. Why? Well, it's entertaining for a variety of reasons (that Enjay stated right on the money): it's humorous, it's catchy, and even self-conscious (something that a peevish, self-obsessed dickhead like you would actually relate to).

But, anyway, that boring, paltry song that you posted is clearly no match—not only does its number of views show this, but the music itself does as well. Like Ralph said, music is for dancing, and that's how the biggest producers we know of make a name for themselves.

The fact that you think your ill-fated video game project essentially deserves to be better-known than a successful music production goes to show how sheltered and self-righteous you are—how unaware you are of people's common tastes. After all, there is a reason why certain products gain more popularity than others. There is more craft involved than you think, you depressed fuck.

Catoptromancy said:

Right.

The article said:

Psy hits all the symbols of Gangnam opulence, but each turns out to be something much more modest, as if suggesting that Gangnam-style wealth is not as fabulous as it might seem. We think he's at a beach in the opening shot, but it turns out to be a sandy playground. He visits a sauna not with big-shot businessmen but with mobsters, Kim points out, and dances not in a nightclub but on a bus of middle-aged tourists. He meets his love interest in the subway. Kim thinks that Psy's strut though a parking garage, two models at his side as trash and snow fly at them, is meant as a nod to the common rap-video trope of the star walking down a red carpet covered in confetti. "I think he's pointing out the ridiculousness of the materialism," Hong said.

Looks like you pseudo-intellectual pricks need to be a little more perceptive.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Gangnam style certainly not from China, but I heard it's from Japan instead of Korea.

proof?

Nautilus said:

There is more craft involved than you think, you depressed fuck.

Nautilus said:

Looks like you pseudo-intellectual pricks need to be a little more perceptive.

That's all pretty uncalled for Nautilus. Grow up. You're capable of better.

Carnevil said:

That's all pretty uncalled for Nautilus. Grow up. You're capable of better.

A little coarse language doesn't make what he said less valid. Comparing a well-produced, engineered-to-be-catchy pop song with a quite frankly legendary satirical video attached to a piece of looping videogame music with no video from an unreleased game that 99.9% of gamers have never heard of is just a little bit unrealistic.

Look at the rest of the post before your jimmies reach the rustled status. While it may be a bit of a fluke that this song is EXPLOSIVELY popular, especially with Americans, it was always going to have a certain audience within Korea. Psy was already a well established artist with a fan base and had a reputation for putting out good, humorous stuff. He knew what his audience expected of him and crafted it in such a way that it'd be attractive to anyone, not just people who were in on the joke.

The video follows well established American music video tropes of luxury and SWAGGER, which people understand, yet subverts them by putting Psy in every day places and making him look ridiculous. And even though he may be subverting the formula, the dude still knows how to catch a few flies: putting sexy pop starlets in, and zoom shots of butts.

Your "video" is a song you hired a guy to write whose name is known by hardly anyone outside this community, and this community is small. But this isn't even about the song, is it? Those of us who know you well are well aware that you have a penchant for the passive aggressive, and you're really wondering, "why isn't Wrack popular?" Well, I could go into an awful lot of factors here. I could talk about how it has ignored the lessons of the past twenty years. Or the fact that it has no marketing to speak of. Or maybe the fact that it's presently released with next to no content.

But I won't derail the thread any further and I'll just end off by saying there's quite a few damn good reasons why this particular piece of media has been getting attention. People LIKE it, and for once they like it not because it's been crammed down our throats like most pre-packaged American pop. Even if it's following some of the customs of the industry, people actually chose to like and support this, and that's why the video is capable of getting ten million views a day. It's new, weird, fresh and funny to them, and people are eating it up.

zap610 said:

Seriously? You're complaining about the popularity of a Korean rap song to some repetitive, forgettable game music that lasts about a minute?

You say this as if this Gangnam Style song isn't just another generic repetitive pop song in itself... but hey, whatever, I can see the appeal in the music video and that it comes with it's own dance etc, there are much better pieces of music out there getting less recognition but I don't really care anymore because I know how the music industry works by now.

DeathevokatioN said:

You say this as if this Gangnam Style song isn't just another generic repetitive pop song in itself...

There are plenty of better songs out there I agree, but this is way more catchy, memorable and enjoyable than that wrack song. It's just a minute long loop of some intermission music; even for intermission song standards it's pretty bad. It's not about having tons of epic instruments it just needs a catchy theme. I'm not necessarily harping on the song for being a minute long though, but I'm pointing out the absurdity of comparing a short song like that to Gangnam Style. If you asked me to post an intermission song I love, it'd probably be this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRoHFAj-KEE just because of the beginning alone. Moreover, he was pretty childish to complain about something so ridiculous just for a chance at hyping his game and I literally slapped my forehead when I saw his post.

But I suppose that last point is a bit offtopic.

This song is too catchy and silly for me, I like to have my music deeper and less popular because I'm a hipster.

Janizdreg said:

It used to be on YouTube as well, but apparently PSY's record label DMCA'd it.

That's very strange. There is thousands of Gangnam Style remixes/mashups/youtube poops/etc on YouTube and they don't seem to care. So why remove this one?