Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

I neither had much time nor inspiration for my MAP10, and even some bugs appears on my map that I couldn't fix, so I decided to start the whole thing over.

I think I don't have to hurry so it's not a big problem, but if I'm wrong, please warn me!

Anyway, here are two shots. Work in progress yet, but the final version will be similarly polished. Oh, and by the way: those big SUPPORT3 walls are acutally hangar doors, but only the left one gonna work.

Well timewise you've put up screenshots (looking good by the way), which is more than can be said for a lot of the other maps. We at least know something is happening with MAP10.

Been having some motivation issues lately but last night I got some more stuff done for my entry for map 17, so here are some screenshots!

http://i.imgur.com/B1m1L.png

http://i.imgur.com/RBVjh.png

http://i.imgur.com/T8oU0.png

http://i.imgur.com/mQPBQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/G7OuH.png

I've never really made a map with this kind of layout before, so a lot of my time's been spent working on its flow and making sure each area's unique. Hopefully I should have it completely done in a week or two.

glenzinho said:

I think you've nailed it now, _bruce_! Just one thing you've missed:

Your switch after the yellow key to lower the lift back to the starting area is now misaligned.
The map is looking great now!

Well, always some texture that rebels against alignment. ^^
Thx

!!!!!

Level 11: Destruct, the remake of O' of Destruction is now available for beta testing! It is vanilla compatible (the visplane topped out at 117/128, eek!). The game-play is still rough around the edges, but it is balanced enough to be possible. All skill levels are present. Please test it and give me some feedback! Feedback regarding item/monster balance issues would be particularly appreciated.

Days: 15
Hours: 95
Structure: 99%
Actions: 99%
Texture/Lighting: 99%
Items/Monsters: 90%
Total: 95%

http://www.mediafire.com/?q2amh0i251j7c3y

!!!!!

Eregore said:

Level 11: Destruct

Too much damaging floor. Or too little health or rad-suits. It might be cool if you know the map and where to go, but exploring on damaging floors are a pain in the ass. Also, in the beginning of the map I jumped down in the lava, ran through some caverns, pressed a few switches and opened the "main gate". Teleported back to the start, but then I fell down. Had to run through the caves again and ended up with 1 hp :S The rest of the map was then, needless to say, quite a pain in the ass since it seems like all liquid floors are damaging. I tried to go into the blood and I found a RL but I couldnt go back again without dying, so I quit. I know I could have given it a few more tries but I was angry, so I quit before I raged on my keyboard ;) Will give it another spin later.

Looks awesome though.

Erogore: Your level is great! Pretty challenging. Yes, the ammo balance is very tight on UV. I ran out of ammo several times, but I always found some soon. So in my opinion it's acceptable. UV should be hard and in addition, most players won't play from pistol start. Maybe just few more shells... ;)

The only thing I really dislike are those damaging floors - you are too often forced to go through it without radsuit (not only beginning of the map). I wasn't able to survive there without jumping :( and had to save-load game many times. In my map (which is btw similar to the yours in many aspects :)) I also have large lava fields, but I always put a couple of radsuits on a visible place in the field + few little non-damaging islands. I mean, more radsuits than player even need. I would suggest you to do the same.

I'm also not sure about the two small rooms where you are supposed to dodge cyberdemon's rockets... (heh, my map also has something similar) It's too hard + the player can avoid that by running quickly back, which I did.

In anything other - visuals, gameplay, atmosphere, the music, monster usage - I really like your map ;)

Hmm, I didn't realize the lava pit would be the source of so much frustration. It was placed at the beginning so if you hit a dead end and die you can just start over and try a different route the next time, but for those of you who don't have the patience:

Once your in the lava cavern hub: take a right, press button and when you come back to the hub take either another right, or head straight. You will see an elevator that will get you out. If you follow this path you will find health along the way and should come out relatively unharmed.

Thanks for the feedback though. I will make some adjustments for the final.

darkreaver said:

Too much damaging floor. Or too little health or rad-suits. It might be cool if you know the map and where to go, but exploring on damaging floors are a pain in the ass. Also, in the beginning of the map I jumped down in the lava, ran through some caverns, pressed a few switches and opened the "main gate". Teleported back to the start, but then I fell down. Had to run through the caves again and ended up with 1 hp :S The rest of the map was then, needless to say, quite a pain in the ass since it seems like all liquid floors are damaging. I tried to go into the blood and I found a RL but I couldnt go back again without dying, so I quit. I know I could have given it a few more tries but I was angry, so I quit before I raged on my keyboard ;) Will give it another spin later.

Looks awesome though.

Congrats on 666th post.
I found the layout of MAP11 very good, nicely detailed, although I find the lava very annoying. A good introduction to the cyebrdemon and a good end to the first 'episode' of the megawad.

Misalignment - Fix if possible:

That might actually be deliberate, goodness knows i've been doing stuff like that with the rusty support. Looks just like a wider part of the whole metal structure. I wouldn't worry about it myself even if it's an oversight.

In all honesty I found a bit of misalignment at the start of my map. Just too dark to really be a problem.
The building with the baron and the blue key in MAP15 also had a misaligned texture on it's eastern exterior. That was very noticeable actually.
Obviously if it can't be fixed then it can't be fixed. I'm a bit of a nitpicker...

Ah yes the joys of textures like that, there is always a way round though. Just have to stop the texture doing a full loop as it will only align probably if the perimeter of the wall is a multiple of 64. I shall do some changes to the wad now.
Played map11 last night at about half 12 in the morning. Was not a good idea :P, shall play again soon to give some constructive criticism.

cannonball said:

I shall do some changes to the wad now.

Make all the other changes you might need to as well, don't hurry to release it, or you'll end up like me with about a squintillion of versions.

I will, I might as well say now, bfg secret now does not have a bfg, it has an invulnerability (which means bfg is now in open play), also plasma gun is now located just after the yellow key door. The teleport exit in the easter egg room now acts as a teleporter.
So I'm sure we all know where first bfg is located and where the teleporter will take you :P

Version 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?pu6a55gvxq6yses
Changelog
- hom fixed, no more slime fountain I'm afraid
- Texture misalignment on metal 1 building fixed.
- Plasma gun moved to just after yellow key door.
- BFG moved and now not secret only
- BFG in secret replaced by invulnerability with teleporter placed inside secret to provide access to further areas.
- Trap after allowing bridge access changed from 6 spiders to 3 spiders and 9 demons, to allow for the fact that player will definitely not have bfg at this time.
- City council decided to construct 2 more buildings in the barren wilderness of the North section of the map.
- Some more details added in a couple of spots.
- Plutonia style start/exit replaced with teleport pads.

Eris Falling said:

Congrats on 666th post.

?

Also I see my review seems quite negative, but I really liked the map except for the damaging floors ;) (I usually hate damaging floors when they are used in places you need to go contrary to when used in places you should not go)

Level 1: Entryway - Processingcontrol:
Play through: I got all 100%s, no deaths.

Game play: I ran out of ammo several times, but in a good way. There was never a fear of dieing because I was out of ammo, I simply ran around until I got more. The beginning was the hardest part, which I liked. Once inside the building the level became a cakewalk, perhaps too easy. Even the ending could have been ramped up in difficulty.

Level Design: Again, the outside works great. I like how its a round-about with imps on top so they can get the jump on the player. The west trap was a surprise, a little strange but cool. The secret was easy, but it did take a second glance to figure out, so I like it. The final room was great! I like how you threw up bars instead of simply sealing the door (and I did try to ditch :P ) I feel the level is slightly too simple and linear. I would have liked to see a little room between the entrance of the building and the room with the secret in it. And perhaps another area to the east.

Decor: I like everything about the beginning! The giant curving complex wall looks great! The inside is a little too mono-thematic on that light grey kick for my taste, though the contrasting colors with the grey is nicely done.

Overall: Bad: In my opinion this level is just slightly too easy, too simple, and too bland. Good: The beginning is great. This map is solid and the use of items/enemies makes it feels like a first level map, and it certainly captures the title 'Entryway'.

Eregore said:

Level 1: Entryway - Processingcontrol:

Overall: Bad: In my opinion this level is just slightly too easy, too simple, and too bland.

Like a first level should be then.

EDIT: What I find amusing about cannonballs map is my determination to beat it on UV (I know there's no difficulty yet, I just don't want to use ITYTD), and I keep breaking my previous kill record. Initially it was around 120, I've recently managed about 300. I miss the slime fountain :(

Also, the OP really needs an update, it's 17 days old :/

Perhaps your right, Eris Falling. I do like the level. I was just trying to give a little constructive feedback.

Eregore said:

Perhaps your right, Eris Falling. I do like the level. I was just trying to give a little constructive feedback.

Well, each to their own of course, but in context of the megawad, then this game is Doom 2 In Name Only. If I were in 1994 (aged -3 hehe) then I wouldn't want to face anything worse than an imp. PC already went further by adding Pinkys, and I'm really not sure what else could be done to improve the aesthetic detail on the map. It is only the first version, maybe I'm wrong and some things could be done, but difficulty and complexity are definitely fine.

Found an old shitpost

Retarded Eris Falling said:

Seriously thinking about doing Map07 V4...Although I need more feedback on V3.2....whatever...

Good bloody job V3.2 got a half-decent reception then! I would've had no imagination for a V4!

Anyway, after playing MAP11 a few more times, still haven't completed, but it's dawned on me: This is a really scary map! Damn, if I was 4 years old again, and that was the 'O' of Destruction of the PSX Port, I'd probably be mentally scarred by it.

MAP19 looks like it's going down the same route, scary maps are good :)

People playing MAP18 in ZDoom should also use this in console:

changesky sky2
Since it will give a more finalised feel, see how it runs like that.

hey guys, sorry that's it's been waaaay too long since i've been around. real life stuff and some other projects have gotten in the way. i'll try to get the first post updated with the new versions of the levels this weekend. also i'll give my comments on the new/updated levels this weekend.

for those asking about the deadline - i wanna see where we're at with completed levels first. i'm not for trying to get this done before Dec 10 if there are still a lot of gaps, but we'll see what everyone wants.

i'm also officially dropping The Pit. there's no way i'm gonna have enough time to do it. i gonna try to work more on Bloodfalls, though.

one more thing: if other stuff gets in the way too much, i might have to hand over my role running the project to one of you guys =/. it seems only fair to have someone who's more active around here, instead of everyone waiting on me to update the thread. i'll let you guys know.

You're alive!

Deadline wise, given the relative lack of screenshots, I cannot see this being completed before Dec 10. It might be worth sending out PM's to the mappers, incase they have forgotten.

Here is a listing of map statuses:

MAP01 - Released
MAP02 - Released
MAP03 - No Evidence
MAP04 - Released
MAP05 - Released
MAP06 - No Evidence
MAP07 - Released
MAP08 - Screenshot shown
MAP09 - 2 Mappers
MAP10 - Screenshots shown
MAP11 - Released
MAP12 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP13 - Released
MAP14 - Fate decided
MAP15 - Released
MAP16 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP17 - Screenshots shown
MAP18 - Released
MAP19 - Screenshots shown
MAP20 - No Evidence
MAP21 - No Evidence
MAP22 - No Evidence
MAP23 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP24 - No Evidence
MAP25 - Fate possibly decided
MAP26 - Released
MAP27 - No Evidence
MAP28 - Fate Decided
MAP29 - Screenshots shown, but some more recent ones wouldn't go amiss
MAP30 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP31 - No Evidence
MAP32 - No Evidence
Or maybe I'm just slightly impatient.

Obsidian said:

Swap you The Pit for The Spirit World? I kind of ground to a halt with it.

i could, but my impression was that there was someone else tentatively working on The Pit. The Spirit World is the type of level that would be up my alley though. depending on the situation with The Pit, maybe i could could swap you Bloodfalls with that.

ella guro said:

i could, but my impression was that there was someone else tentatively working on The Pit. The Spirit World is the type of level that would be up my alley though. depending on the situation with The Pit, maybe i could could swap you Bloodfalls with that.

I'll give both of 'em a go. I had a nice idea for The Pit that I don't want to waste. :-)

Got a bunch of the map down on paper. Most of the work was coming up with concepts for traps.

As I said, the map will be pretty light on the monsters but heavy on the hazards. This screenshot alone contains at least 4 things that will kill you if you approach wrong.

If this map could have another name it would be called "I wanna be the Doomguy" Which is inspiring me for a project after this one...