Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom 3 BFG Edition IWAD patches

I've created two patches for the Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 1.9 IWADs for you to use if you'd like to check out the most up to date versions of the WADs included in the BFG edition. NERVE.WAD is NOT included, this only applies to the originals.

http://www.mediafire.com/?99r01xj4ie7o7bj

I've also created a set of two files as a compatibility patch to get the BFG edition version of DOOM2.WAD to work with engines besides the BFG edition's own engine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r31hb2e0ri24e7q

And lastly, a set of patches that decensors the red crosses and Wolfenstein materials for the BFG edition versions of the IWADs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yqzw4727pzjpkj8

A list of changes (may or may not be complete)

DOOM.WAD:

*Additional menu graphics for exiting, only used by BFG's classic Doom engine, but unused in any other engine.
*The red crosses on medikits, berserk packs, and stimpacks have been replaced with a red and white pill graphic.
*Unused graphic lump DMENUPIC, carried over from the XBLA version.
*E1M10 is not present. (difference between BFG and XBLA, not BFG and original PC) I'm pretty sure that E1M1 does not have a secret exit.

DOOM2.WAD:

*Additional menu graphics for exiting, only used by BFG's classic Doom engine, but unused in any other engine.
*The red crosses on medikits, berserk packs, and stimpacks have been replaced with a red and white pill graphic.
*Unused graphic lump DMENUPIC, carried over from the XBLA version.
*Lacks a TITLEPIC lump.
*The SS guard's graphics have been replaced with the pistol zombie's graphics.
*Decorations have been removed from the wall patches for the textures used in the Wolfenstein levels.
*MAP31 and MAP32's music have been replaced with MAP05's music.
*MAP31 has been renamed to "IDKFA", and MAP32 to "KEEN".
*MAP02 has a secret exit added to it.
*There is an unused map, "Betray", in slot 33. MAP02's secret exit is intended to go to this, but doesn't work correctly.
*The previously unused carry-over episode selection menu graphics from Doom 1 are now actually used to select between Doom 2 and NERVE campaigns, and the text within are "Hell on earth" and "No rest for the living", respectively. The third episode selection graphic still reads "Inferno", and remains unused. The text "Which episode?" has been changed to "Which expansion?".

Thanks!

You might want to re-upload by the way, I was only able use the patch after I downloaded bsdiff from Here and used that copy of bspatch.exe.

I just remembered that the previously unused episode selector graphics have been changed in Doom 2. I've edited the list above.

The Doom 1 BFG IWAD I get from the patch is invalid and cannot be loaded. What's the IWAD you used as a base?

I first used the Ultimate Doom IWAD (bf0eaac0) and got a BFG Doom IWAD with a checksum of 61f10bf8, instead of 5efa677e as expected.

Then I tried with the registered, non-Ultimate Doom IWAD (723e60f9), and got a BFG IWAD with a checksum of b00859ad, still invalid.

For reference: DOOM.WAD checksums on the wiki.

Oh, shit, I just realized that I accidentally used Doom 1.2's IWAD for Doom 1. I should've been paying more attention. I'm going to go fix that right now and reupload it.

Thanks for doing this. That red and white pill looks... hmmm. A green cross or something else would have looked better I guess.

I also could not get the patch to work. After a split second where bspatch seemed to be running, I was returned to the command line but no new WAD was made. Downloading the version that HackNeyed linked to fixed that.

Enjay said:

Thanks for doing this.

No problem. Perhaps the guys making LADOPATO should incorporate this?

Anyway, download's fixed. I apologize for screwing it up last time. The alternate bspatch.exe was included as well.

So, if I understand this correctly, then this is for people who want to downgrade their original Doom 1 and Doom 2 games with stupid censoring, level renaming, silly pill medkits, additional bugs like not working secret exit and missing titlepic, hmmmm...
World does not stop to suprise me.

Also why id did not just change color of these crosses to different variations of red? Like pink or dark red. Then they would be able to say "eat that" to the Red Cross.

Why the hell does the music for maps 31 and 32 have to be changed, surely music doesn't need to be censored also.

Strange to see that the author hasn't acknowledged HackNeyed nor thanked him for noticing that patch issue early on. Maybe pay "more more" attention? :)

Sokoro said:

So, if I understand this correctly, then this is for people who want to downgrade their original Doom 1 and Doom 2 games

No. It's for people who are curious to see what changes have been done; but not necessarily to play it.

For example a developer might be interested in making sure the port they maintain is able to play these IWADs correctly.

The Doom II patch works fine and I can patch my 1.9 version to the BFG version (c3bea40570c23e511a7ed3ebcd9865f7). When I try to patch my Ultimate Doom IWAD (c4fe9fd920207691a9f493668e0a2083) the new iwad's hash is de7fd05d22fb089ae02e9a0e15ba26ef instead of fb35c4a5a9fd49ec29ab6e900572c524 like mentioned on the doom wiki.
Either the Ultimate Doom patch is wrong or I am doing something stupid.

phenex2 said:
Either the Ultimate Doom patch is wrong or I am doing something stupid.

Same here. For fun I tried it against each of the Ultimate Doom IWAD, the Doom 1.2 IWAD, and the Doom 1.9 IWAD; none of them has a valid directory, although the 1.2 one comes close... :-P

(This was using bspatch in Linux, which works at least for the Doom 2 patch)

Okay, I'm confident this time I got it right for sure. Again, apologies. Redownload it now.

arkore said:

Strange to see that the author hasn't acknowledged HackNeyed nor thanked him for noticing that patch issue early on. Maybe pay "more more" attention? :)

No, I acknowledged him, just not by name. I did forget to thank him though, so thanks, HackNeyed. :)

EDIT: I reuploaded it again, this time with additional patches to go back to the original 1.9 IWADs from the BFG IWADs.

EDIT 2: I uploaded a compatibility patch to get the BFG version of DOOM2.WAD working in normal engines.

Sodaholic said:

Perhaps the guys making LADOPATO should incorporate this?

I'd definitely contact 'em. Might be worth making patches to go from BFG to 1.9, too, assuming nobody important has any qualms with that. :P

BlueFireZ88 said:

Is there something other than this patch method? I can't get bspatch.exe to work.

You're using the command line and it isn't working? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

And I could use IPS patches, but those'd be huge and contain too much commercial data.

Gez said:

For example a developer might be interested in making sure the port they maintain is able to play these IWADs correctly.

Not that I'm keen on the changes done to the IWADS, still, will ZDoom properly support them, I wonder?

Blue Shadow said:

Not that I'm keen on the changes done to the IWADS, still, will ZDoom properly support them, I wonder?

They might, but I would have no idea what they have planned. It's probably not in their priorities, but I can't speak for them.

I've created some new patches to decensor your BFG edition IWADs. This changes the stimpack, medikit, and berserk pack back to the old versions with the red crosses on them in both games, and in Doom 2, restores the original Wolfenstein music and levels, as well as the SS guards.

Sodaholic said:

I've created some new patches to decensor your BFG edition IWADs. This changes the stimpack, medikit, and berserk pack back to the old versions with the red crosses on them in both games, and in Doom 2, restores the original Wolfenstein music and levels, as well as the SS guards.

Does Steam and/or the game itself not do any kind of checksum verification on the files?

I know this is probably meant for people who want to copy the files out of the Steam directory and then use them with other ports, but I'd still caution against directly modifying the original copy.

Quasar said:

Does Steam and/or the game itself not do any kind of checksum verification on the files?

Dunno for the game itself; but you can turn off automatic updates for any given game in Steam, which would shield the IWADs from being reverted.

Quasar said:

I know this is probably meant for people who want to copy the files out of the Steam directory and then use them with other ports, but I'd still caution against directly modifying the original copy.

It's actually intended for players who want to play the BFG edition itself without the censorship.

What you're supposed to do is create a new game folder inside the Doom 3 BFG edition folder, and put it in a subdirectory called "wads". Then you should use the launch option to use this new game folder instead of "base".

Gez said:

Dunno for the game itself; but you can turn off automatic updates for any given game in Steam, which would shield the IWADs from being reverted.

Even without that option turned off, Steam's usually pretty good about not overwriting custom files unless you use the option to verify local files or there's an update. There are plenty of unofficial patches for Steam games which work by overwriting the original files. But based on Sodaholic's latest post, it sounds like you don't even need to do that in this case.