Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

How can I record dis shit

I downloaded Boom thinking it would be a simple menu option to record a demo, but no, I've got other stuff to do first. I've searched the web and this forum for a while but all I could find was an advice thread that said I should start this thread. So here I am, I just want to record demos of some pwads and also play them back.

Heh, I laughed at the thread's name :)
Best option I can think of, is to create a .bat file, and execute it like this:

C:\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3\glboom-plus.exe -iwad plutonia -file pl2 -warp 29 -skill 4 -complevel 4 -record p229

For example, here, I'd use GlBoom-Plus to record p229.lmp (-record p229), a Plutonia 2 demo (-file pl2 / -iwad Plutonia) on MAP29 (-warp 29), on Ultra-Violence skill (-skill 4) with the Final Doom compatibility (-complevel 4).

Basically, you need a command line, with the following commands:

-iwad <-- The Iwad you're gonna use
-file xxx.wad <-- PWad name
-warp xx <-- Warp to level XX
-skill X <-- Select skill. 4 = Ultra-Violence, 5 = Nightmare!
-record xxx <-- Here you choose the .lmp demo name.

-fast <-- Optional fast monsters command

Hope I made myself clear. Good luck!

So I made the .bat file, and edited it to say C:\program files\boom\prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2 -file dm2 -warp 29 -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record myfukkindemo. Now do I just play doom 2 with prboom-plus.exe? Do I need DOS? I don't really see how I can retrieve my demo or play it back. In fact I can't even tell if it did anything.

You just run the .bat file then. the myfukkindemo.lmp will save itself in your prboom-folder.

To watch the demo you can just drag`n drop it over prboom.exe

if you don't get the desired effect, check stdout.txt in the pr+ directory after playing, it may shed some light on the issue. if the program cannot find the pwad, it will simply run the iwad instead. you can either specify the absolute path to it in the batch (-file c:\blahblah\dm2.wad) or put the pwad directly in your pr+ dir. or, if you're cool enough, specify an environment variable in your system, then the path specified in the variable will be used as default. do a websearch on "DOOMWADDIR".

could be because of spaces in the path to prboom, try using this instead:
"C:\program files\boom\prboom-plus.exe" -iwad doom2 -file dm2 -warp 29 -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record myfukkindemo

or load a cmd and see what the error is :p

leave the bat files to the old fashioned lovers imo...

if you have the newer prboom, do the following:

1) locate the prboom-plus (or other executable for doom launch) in the folder
2) right click-> create shortcut of it in the same folder
-rename it into "demorecording" like I did for example if you wish
3) right click on the shortcut file, in the destination box add the command lines 1ntru wrote.

"C:\yourwhateveraddressfordoomfolder\glboom-plus.exe" -complevel 4 -skill 4 -warp 32 -record demolulname

thats another example. use this as teamplate if you wish

4) double click on the shortcut once you inserted the wished command lines, in order to have the right complevel, warp and difficulty setting (respawn, nomo, or fast parameters etc). if you are using prboom+ you'll probably have a window popping up, asking you which wad you want to launch (and therefore record on)

5) play and kill the bad guys
6) exit
7) enjoy your demolulname.lmp file

remember you'll be probably overwriting over and over the same file, so I advice to instantly change name to the demolulname in case you think it might be worth keeping

if you feel ancient fashioned, you can do :

- open cmd.exe
- drag (pr)boom(-plus) exe file there
- write commands like already said above