Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

A map I need feedback on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndtztuwh5o1fjdz

I started this map a few weeks ago after playing a nice little slaughtermap by Memfis, thinking that I might introduce a bit more slaughtermapness to my mapmaking. The map turned into a bit of a monster at one point and I left it for a while, but I finally managed to complete it. It's still kind of in the beta stage, so I need a few opinions and tips.

The map occupies the MAP28 slot and hopefully works in Vanilla. I've tested it using Doom95, but I want to know if it works alright in regular vanilla Doom without glitches. It'd also be nice to get some opinions on ammo and health balancing as well. :-)

A few screenshots(taken in Zdoom):

(Heh, I took these on UV and I really need to do some ammo balancing on that. Please let me know if I need to do balancing on lower difficulties though.)

0 stars for instant death teleporter

edit: it's a good, nicely designed (reminds me of Demonfear EP3) and tightly balanced map, but why it has to be so cramped? It's a good idea to consider player's movement freedom when you're working on a map. If he is bumping into walls and stuff all the time, maybe something is wrong.
And seriously, the idea of that teleporter is terrible.

Memfis said:

0 stars for instant death teleporter

Meh, what else did you expect? X-D

I can replace it with a grate if it bothers people that much. What about the rest of the map?

You are a sadistic mapper, it took me 5 tries before I figured out the start (I kept moving :P). After that it moves at a nice pace although a little bit cramped.

I am also a cautious player and I grabbed the blue key without setting off the (obvious :P) trap. I always try to set a little bit of a wider perimeter for the traps so the player can't skip them.

Also I skipped the last fight cause i didn't find a rocket launcher or the secret BFG. I looked at the map in doombuilder and saw that if I don't spring the trap for the blue key I also don't deserve a rocketlauncher (which is only fair).

Nice map, a bit to sadistic for my taste (yes I am talking about you instant teleporter of doom (thx memfis for the warning)).

Boared said:

You are a sadistic mapper

He he he...it's a bit of a habit. I'm going to remove the instant death bit due to it's unpopularity, but I'm glad that I can keep up the difficulty.

Boared said:

I am also a cautious player and I grabbed the blue key without setting off the (obvious :P) trap. I always try to set a little bit of a wider perimeter for the traps so the player can't skip them.

Hm, thanks for pointing that out. That trap also triggers another wave of monsters in the main area, so I'll need to fix that. Funnily enough, I'm kind of cautious as well when it comes to Dooming.

Thanks for the feedback dude. =D Just wondering, were you able to play it in vanilla?

It's pretty good layout/design/texture wise except one thing.

It looks funny, doing it how you have it I think.

Speaking of stairs...

Imagine them in real life. Stairs on the right are just dangerous to walk on, you can fall off if you're not careful. Noone would make stairs like this. (I hope :D)

X-D I was sticking to the grid. I guess I can fix that, but I'm surprised that you actually noticed it in the first place!

Memfis said:

Imagine them in real life. Stairs on the right are just dangerous to walk on, you can fall off if you're not careful. Noone would make stairs like this. (I hope :D)

I had stairs like that in my previous home.

And I recall tripping on them pretty frequently.

(no pun intended)

i didn't get past being crushed to death at the beginning. That didn't really inspire me to continue to be honest.

Memfis said:

Speaking of stairs...

http://www.wuala.com/api/preview/kuchitsu/Doom_PIC/STAIRS.png

Not really liking the argument, here for obvious reasons. Sure, in real life these stairs might be a silly thing, but in a map, it's a perfectly reasonable approach. Doomguy isn't about trip down the stairs and break his ankle.

For the record, I've used both (as well as the stair-ladder approach). Both variations have their uses.

Snakes said:

Not really liking the argument, here for obvious reasons. Sure, in real life these stairs might be a silly thing, but in a map, it's a perfectly reasonable approach. Doomguy isn't about trip down the stairs and break his ankle.

For the record, I've used both (as well as the stair-ladder approach). Both variations have their uses.

I've always found the stair-ladder kind of strange, but I guess it can be useful in some cases. Anyway, steering the conversation away from stairs...