Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

wtb: game console -- narrowing in on a PS3 [we bought a PS2]

My friend has a large plasma tv and is thinking about buying a game console. I told him he should get a PS3. I'm not sure what kind of games he likes, but I think he does like racing and I would probably buy him a NFS game if he gets a console. What game console has the funnest games and best graphics? PS3? Xbox? Wii? I feel like PS3 is the way to go, but figured I'd get some thoughts here.

If you get him a PS3 then I recommend Gran Turismo 5, it's probably ONE of the most realistic racing games out there today.

My vote goes for PS3 purely on the merit of Wipeout HD/Fury. I don't even own one and I go "hmm" from time to time due to loving it so damn much.

Nintendo 64 with Banjo Kazooie and Mario Kart 64! Also very great: the playstation portable: console+game+chip (there are higher chips available, but I cannot find them :-(!)+bag+data cable, that's it! :-P You can listen to mp3, watch pictures and watch videos on it. For the videos you need a video converter for the PC! "mp4-IPOD" format is used on the PSP 3000. I have this and I'm happy, because it is without the internet!!!!!!11111

Hellbent said:

My friend has a large plasma tv and is thinking about buying a game console. I told him he should get a PS3. I'm not sure what kind of games he likes, but I think he does like racing and I would probably buy him a NFS game if he gets a console. What game console has the funnest games and best graphics? PS3? Xbox? Wii? I feel like PS3 is the way to go, but figured I'd get some thoughts here.

The PS3, in theory, should do better for graphics. However, most games on the PS3 are also on the XBox360, so tend to be limited to what the 360 can do (which is still pretty nice, mind).

All told, the only real, appreciable difference between the two is that the PS3 is a blu-ray player (but you can get better ones for less) and the exclusive titles. For simulation-style racers you basically have to get Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3 or a Forza title (4 now, maybe Horizon later) for the 360. NFS games are on everything, so that won't be a deciding factor.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the online model probably might come into consideration. XBox Live is pretty good, from my limited experience and, from what I've seen, so is the PSN, but (from what I'm aware) the PS3 does have the massive advantage of no fees for playing online.

Hellbent said:

I think he does like racing and I would probably buy him a NFS game if he gets a console.

Ugh, no. There's much better racing games around than NFS. In addition to the titles that have been mentioned already, you can't go wrong with Grid or Dirt 2/3*. They don't have quite the same level of realism as Gran Turismo or Forza but they're equally as immersive and rewarding.

*These games are available for the PC, btw.

Technician said:

Super Nintendo

Deeforce said:

Nintendo 64

Sodaholic said:

Sega Genesis

Gez said:

Amstrad GX4000

jongo said:

Atari2600

They would make for a much cheaper gift, but between us what would be the point of buying any one of these when you can play most of the games available for them on your PC? ;)

Mattfrie1 said:

If you get him a PS3 then I recommend Gran Turismo 5, it's probably the most realistic racing game out there today.

Uh.. as far as consoles go, maybe. But if you're including PC then no, not even close.

qoncept said:

Uh.. as far as consoles go, maybe. But if you're including PC then no, not even close.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been a good racing sim on the PC for some years. Unless this is going to turn into one of those threads where we pontificate the superiority of older games over newer ones, even where the argument barely makes sense, in which case I'll have no part of it.

Deeforce said:

@BlackFish: I can only say this to it, rofl:
I don't like steam...

I don't really like Steam either; but I like Sony and Microsoft even less. :p

qoncept said:

I really wouldn't know to be honest with you. I've always been more of a console gamer than a PC one (which is a sin around here I guess). GT5 being one of the better racing sims nowadays is only my opinion however, your mileage may vary.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I've never really gotten into racing sims; like I said i prefer NFS games. I actually tried to get wipeout XL (1990s version) to play on my Mac recently, but with no luck. PS3 seems like a good option. My friend doesn't want to mess with trying to get the PC connected to the big screen tv (they're in different rooms).

Okay, simple question. What do I need the gigabytes of storage for? Surely it's not necessary for the games? Is it for downloading movies?

Hellbent said:

cool, thanks. Are all PS3s backwards compatible to PS1 and PS2 games?

No.

WiiU supports old Wii games, but not GC games :P

Not sure why'd you want to play a 480p game on a 1080p console though~