Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Open Up Your BFG

John Carmack has confirmed on Twitter that a GPL release of the modified engine in Doom 3: BFG Edition ("minus third party bits") has been approved and that work to clean up the code for release is already mostly done. That was quick!

I'm somewhat interested to know whats so different that they made a totally new release for the code. Since it's been confirmed that these so called new lighting changes, are well, bullshit :)

Probably nothing but the stereoscopic stuff.

Xtife said:

Since it's been confirmed that these so called new lighting changes, are well, bullshit :)

No, on the contrary, that was actually completely debunked.

Some people got the idea that the updated lighting in Doom 3: BFG Edition was actually just them changing the default setting of a console option you could get in the original game (r_lightscale 2, if I recall correctly), but its default setting here is actually the same as in the original game. The lighting in the maps is different.

This doesn't change the fact with all the things they've done to the games (from making it too easy via 1.5-2x ammo to censoring Doom 2) that it wouldn't please many, especially die-hard longtime loyal fans.

@Essel: r_overbright 2 was the lighting change if I remember from Bethsoft and Steam forums.

esselfortium said:

Some people got the idea that the updated lighting in Doom 3: BFG Edition was actually just them changing the default setting of a console option you could get in the original game (r_lightscale 2, if I recall correctly), but its default setting here is actually the same as in the original game. The lighting in the maps is different.

Oh, I thought he was talking about some kind of change to the lighting engine itself.

Anyone who thinks that it's that easy to pump up the lighting in Doom3 and still have it look decent and/or be playable. Are very ignorant of how Doom3's lighting works.

I am perfectly fine with how Doom 3 is despite being from moody to absurdly dark, which I found gave the game it's charm.

Seeing them side-by-side, the lighting definitely looks a lot better in the new version. You can actually make out detail in places that had been almost entirely black. It's still gloomy, it's still got atmosphere, but it's not stupidly, unrealistically dark anymore.

A lighting update isn't worth $30 if you already own the game, though. $20 for two new episodes if you have the original on Steam might be, but I'm probably going to pass anyway.

Does this mean that we will be able to manually add mod support again? What about a source port?

DooM_RO said:

Does this mean that we will be able to manually add mod support again? What about a source port?

Dude, everything is possible to the extent of your programming knowledge.

Mr. Chris said:

This doesn't change the fact with all the things they've done to the games (from making it too easy via 1.5-2x ammo to censoring Doom 2) that it wouldn't please many, especially die-hard longtime loyal fans.

Actually, unlike the release of the binary, getting Buttfuck edition GPLed so early is unexpectedly good news.