Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

SimCity 2013 (SimCity 5)

SimCity 2013 is coming out pretty soon and I'm pretty excited for it. I've been a fan of the game for some time and the first game I played out of the whole series is SimCity 3000. I have all the four main games, SimCity Societies and The Sims Carnival: Snap City.

Anyways, you can discuss what you think of the upcoming game and the older games here.

Here's the official announcement trailer:

Every successive sequel makes me an order of magnitude more disappointed than the last. If this trend continues and I actually take a chance on buying this, I might just have to shoot myself in the face.

3000 has been my favourite, but 4 is the only one I've had installed for a few years so it must be growing on me (or maybe 3000 had compatibility issues on my last couple of systems, I'm not sure).

images not representative of actual gameplay

Which is too bad, I'd have pre-ordered immediately after watching the video if it was...

Ehh.. Tend to prefer SimCity 2000 over any that have come after it, with the Urban Renewal Kit to create customised tilesets.

With the later versions, they seemed to lose something.

The trailer is quite something, though they can be deceptive at times to say the least.

As far as running it goes, this machine would no doubt groan and start smoking if an attempt was made.

CODOR said:

Complains about images not being representative of actual gameplay

Oh noes! They violated point #2 of the Gamer's manifesto! How very dare they!

Edit: heh, that manifesto seems to have become just as relevant as the Declaration of the Human Rights or the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Maes said:

Oh noes! They violated point #2 of the Gamer's manifesto! How very dare they!

Edit: heh, that manifesto seems to have become just as relevant as the Declaration of the Human Rights or the Occupy Wall Street movement.

To be fair, most of the stuff on that list is pretty legit.

I have to admit, I've never really enjoyed these "god sim" type games. Not sure why, they just never appealed.

I remember, many years ago, I used to work with a guy who set up his sim [whatever it was] and then left the game running while he was out at work so that he could come home to find out how well he was doing. What was the point in him playing the game if he wasn't - you know - playing it?

Hope they haven't dumbed it down too much from SC4. I loved how much micromanagement that one had when it came to funding services. It made so much more sense than the previous games, but it was also one of the biggest complaints about it, so I can see them going back to the simpler global funding method. They better have terrain editing down now too, SC4's handing of terrain felt like a huge downgrade after SC3000 cleared up all the problems SC2000 had, even if it was a true 3D mesh instead of set heights.

Hope random disasters are back, too. SC2000 was the best in that regard, and SC4 the worst. I never used the games as models like some people, so I needed those random disasters to mix things up now and then when I had everything "perfect" - triggering them yourself (and even choosing their placement) just doesn't have the same appeal.

Hey guys, there's also this disaster trailer for the game. It reveals four of the disasters:

After watching a gameplay trailer I think there will be fires, riots and dinosaurs (AKA monsters) too.

NiTROACTiVE said:

Hey guys, there's also this disaster trailer for the game. It reveals four of the disasters:

I was fully expecting a "zombie apocalypse" scenario. Am I just cynical?

Sim City 2000 was the only one I ever had, I don't know if I should catch up with series.

I won't buy "Sim City 2013/5", because it needs the internet! Sim City 1 and Sim City 2000,Sim City 3000 are the best :-P: Sim City 1 and Sim City 2000.

EDIT:
I recommend buying "Sim City 3000" (no internet connection required), if any. Or buy them all. They are all very good and think of it: this time it is not a first person shooter!

Hm, this series has sure come a long way since the SNES version.

I like the giant German mining machine at 1:06.

It would be nice if the crumbling buildings and house fires were a little more... graphic. But I guess that's not the point of the game.