Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Have you ever been on a long doom break?

I don't really play Doom anymore. I could count the wads I've played in the last year on one hand.

Yep, there's about a 3 year gap between when I stopped trying to play Doom on an underpowered Amiga and rediscovered the game on PC.

I've always been a Doom fan, but I must confess that until when I started speedrunning (feb/2010), I haven't played the game for years.

I can't tell precisely, but it had been at least 6 years since I last played it until that time.

I barely play these days, I don't even do much level design for the game anymore either (been mostly Strife this year). If a wad is released that I find interesting I'll play, but I don't seek them out or play through any old wad anymore.

Belial said:

I don't really play Doom anymore. I could count the wads I've played in the last year on one hand.

<3

I come back to it then go, then come back, then go, then come back!

I'm sure I could burn myself out on Doom, but I dip across PC\PSX\PS3\PSP\3DS; getting Vita soon then maybe Wii-U and wanna start getting some older consoles like the Genesis and a Dreamcast again.

So my gaming cycle has Doom in it fairly often (and Blood!), without overdoing it.

Fark there's too many games in the world.

I think I was barely into Doom for a few years in the early 2000's before I discovered the internet and the doom community. The last few years I've been quite on-and-off as well. I spend too much time on computers as part of my work, so when I get home further computer time isn't high on my agenda.

I had a break from Doom for ten years. I just needed to change my life around, and all the hours I'd sat alone in a room with WadEd weren't helping.

...and then recently, a friend and I got into conversation about how modern FPS suck, and it kinda went from there; I missed Doom, like an old buddy.

Back in 96 when i was only 7, i used to go months at a time without Doom as my dad would only allow it every so often. I'm glad i was made to wait though because each time away my excitement to play it grew.

Since then? The longest break i would ever have from Doom would be exactly the same, around a month. Only difference is i would play it for around a week instead of one night.

I probably played for a good 4 years solid from 1993-1997. Since then my breaks have been longer than my Doom kicks, which usually last a few months. This kick has been a full year. I guess it's usually that my buddies lose interest more than me.

I've been on and off loads - more off than on - but I think that is because I only got PC Doom this year.

Well, I had a four-year gap between 2005 and 2009. 2004-2005 I was designing drawn levels for Doom and then in 2009 I started using Doom Builder to realise them. Then I suddenly thought of a better use of the build engine.

I have a habit of getting a bit obsessed with one particular game at a time and playing nothing but that. Doom currently occupies that place. Typically, I'll finally get bored with the game, think I'll never want to play it again, move on to something else, then inevitably come back to it a year or so later. This has happened with pretty much every game I consider to be one of my favorites.

(Longest record holder is TF2 at three years of playing it nearly daily, with a few week long breaks here and there. Now I can't even get myself motivated to play in the Halloween events.)

@Dragon: yeah, I do that too. Right now it's Doom. It's happened with Unreal Tournament, Starcraft, Rock Band, about every other year with NCAA football, racing games, Skate or Die and Baseball Stars.

Sometimes I do, but they're usually not longer than a year or so. I'm just now coming back to the game after taking a bit of a break from last fall. However, between that time, I've done testing for people here and there, but that's about it. I'll be more busy with it now since I'm trying to play through all the megawads I could never be arsed to finish.

i didn't play for pretty much most of 2006 to 2010

i play maybe an hour a week... the MAC OS X port, prboom, is OKAY, but is a pain in the ass unlike the source ports on Windows

Define long. :P

If I go away for a week or so somewhere, then I don't do any Dooming. That's about it.

There's been months at a time I've gone without playing Doom. I wasn't really aching to play it but I did wish I had more free time to just sit down and kill stuff. It's often a really good thing though because it really helps remind you how awesome everything in the game is when you invest so much time engrossed in real-world activities. Usually I'll let myself get the shit kicked out of me in a deathmatch or slaughter wad or on Nightmare mode to open my eyes a little, then soften it a little by playing some Doom 2 on UV or something. But almost every time I play after a long hiatus I have a new favorite enemy to fight or a new favorite weapon to use.

Why wouldn't I have lenghty breaks? It's amazing enough that 19 years after the game came out I'm still playing it from time to time.

Sometimes I get into a DOOM mode for some time, playing new Megawads or replaying older stuff whenever I have some spare gaming time. Then there are periods where playing DOOM is the last thing I want to do. Like right now, I have no desire to play anything related to it.

I took some really long breaks in the 90's and early 2000's until I found out about source ports, multiplayer, pwads, and level editing in 2004. Since then, I've done something Doom related almost every day, and my longest break was probably a week or two.

More often than not.
I get into short phases of Dooming that can be up to a year apart.

I'm in and out. I haven't been playing regularly until recently when I rediscovered ZDaemon. If it weren't for multi-player, I don't think playing single-player campaigns would interest me too much. Doom is funnest with multiple people playing.

I haven't made a Doom wad since 2006 (CIF3 was released in 2008 but that one doesn't count). Now in days some people think Doom64EX is the only thing I've done. Hopefully once my obsession with Turok fades out and become burned out by it, I'll consider making another wad.... like old times..

Kaiser said:

Now in days some people think Doom64EX is the only thing I've done.

Even if it was, that's quite a big thing. I should check that out some time..

I took a number of months off this year... Not really because I lost interest it just sort of happened. Hard to explain. I'm sort of back into it right now, but to nearly the degree I was about this time last year.

I blame a 40 hour work week.

I only took a broke from Doom a little while (like two weeks) one time in order to get into the groove of TF2 (not like I got the whole day to play).

I went a time from about mid 2010 to latter half of 2011 without doom iirc.