Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Monster over the Atlantic (Sandy Strengthens)

I know some of you are in its direct path. I have a feeling this one will be less singificant than last year's event. What's your prediction?

Anyone know how weather.com producess so much hourly detail so far in advance? Is it an algorithm based on computer models that fill in each hourly detail? Cause surely that shit ain't updated every hour by hand.

Snowshoe WV hourly weather during the height of the storm.

While the wind won't be that high for this storm, the remarkably extensive area the wind covers means it will be able to kick up a significant storm surge.

They're talking about 70mph wind at landfall, but in none of the coastal cities in the center of the projected path are their forecast for winds greater than 42mph. Wassup with that? Atlantic City hourly weather when Sandy makes landfall.

"- History is being written as an extreme weather event continues to unfold, one which will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States." Gee... this isn't hyperbole now is it. Link

UPDATE:

Link

NOUS41 KPHI 281841
PNSPHI
DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-
055-060>062-067>071-291200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
241 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA...

SANDY IS EXPECTED TO SLAM INTO THE NEW JERSEY COAST LATER MONDAY
NIGHT, BRINGING VERY HEAVY RAIN AND DAMAGING WINDS TO THE REGION.
THE STORM IS A LARGE ONE, THEREFORE DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT CENTER
OF THE STORM AS ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS.

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN HISTORIC STORM, WITH WIDESPREAD WIND
DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES, INLAND AND COASTAL FLOODING, AND MASSIVE
BEACH EROSION. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND PROLONGED WIND
WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING POWER OUTAGES AND SERIOUS
FLOODING.

PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE WRAPPING UP AS CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO
WORSEN TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE
AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE
OUT THE `62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO
IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT
THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU
MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE
RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR
RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR
PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS
ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!

$$

NWS MOUNT HOLLY, NJ

Last night they were forecasting the eye to pass pretty much directly over me, but I'm about as far from the shore as you can get while still being in south Jersey. Now I'm even less concerned.

It looks like it might pass the eastern half of Long Island but doesn't mean we'll be spared of high wind and rain.

I am also inland so I don't need to evacuate, like the coastal areas around northern/southern Queens and coastal areas of Staten Island. Sucks for the rich folk/investors to put up with this shit.

from the article I linked earlier:

"- A meteorologically mind-boggling combination of ingredients is coming together: one of the largest expanses of tropical storm (gale) force winds on record with a tropical or subtropical cyclone in the Atlantic or for that matter anywhere else in the world; a track of the center making a sharp left turn in direction of movement toward New Jersey in a way that is unprecedented in the historical database, as it gets blocked from moving out to sea by a pattern that includes an exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure aloft near Greenland; a "warm-core" tropical cyclone embedded within a larger, nor'easter-like circulation; and eventually tropical moisture and arctic air combining to produce heavy snow in interior high elevations. This is an extraordinary situation, and I am not prone to hyperbole."

Normally for storms like this the weather would be much more humid and usually warmer but the weather is barely in the 60s and is cooler due to wind and cloud cover.

No rain here...yet.

wow: "NWS has updated surge/wave forecast. Now the forecast is for waves 28-30' crashing on Block Island, 23-27' at Point Judith, RI! 1.usa.gov/zLA2NL #Sandy"

Technician said:

We're supposed to get hit with high winds and possibly snow here in Ontario for the next few days.

Sheesh. Me and dad just finished renovating our driveway interlock just a few days ago. I wanna take a little break before touching a snow-shovel. >_<;

fraggle said:

I just flew back from Boston on Saturday. Lucky timing.

I'm in Boston right now. Should be fun. I drove into Boston on Saturday.

They've already issued warnings and closures for tomorrow here in the District. There's a high wind warning starting tomorrow morning that will continue until Tueday night, so we'll see just how much damage is done. They expect flooding in some areas too, but it's highly unlikely that'll be a factor for where I live.

Montauk already seeing wind gusts over 60mph. Sandy is now packing sustained winds of 85mph 90mph (up from 75mph yesterday). Minimum pressure dropped some overnight as well, and is now at 946mb 943mb.

Current water rise height (surge) is already approaching the height of what Irene produced, still 10 hours out. Wow, pressure just dropped again to 943mb. Wow, satellite imagery has really shown Sandy organizing. Go find a TV set and check out the rapid organization of the hurricane.

I don't live in the states, but I hope it clears up eventually.
Being in the UK, I'll probably catch the end of this in about a week..

"SANDY IS EXPECTED TO TRANSITION INTO A
FRONTAL OR WINTERTIME LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM PRIOR TO LANDFALL.
HOWEVER...THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE ACCOMPANIED BY A WEAKENING OF
THE SYSTEM...AND...IN FACT...A LITTLE STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE
DURING THIS PROCESS. SANDY IS EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AFTER MOVING
INLAND." Source link.

This just in: hurricane is increasing its movement across the Atlantic and can be expected to make landfall in South Jersey late this afternoon (as opposed to late this evening).

She's deepened again, folks. 940mb. That's only 2 higher than 1938 Long Island Express.

Am I really the only one interested in tracking hurricanes and the basic science behind them?

90mph at landfall is pretty powerful for this part of the world, though. Research New England hurricanes and their power at landfall for the last hundred years or so.

High winds here in western Suffolk county and some rain but it looks that the rain may clear up in an hour or two based on its W-NW movement.

No power outages yet, but the off/on moments that turned downstairs power off for a couple seconds doesn't count.

Wind's starting to pick up here again, after being relatively calm all day compared to last night. Rain's tapering off. It hasn't really rained hard at all yet.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Wind's starting to pick up here again, after being relatively calm all day compared to last night. Rain's tapering off. It hasn't really rained hard at all yet.

Where are you? Landfall should happen in the next 20 to 40 minutes.

I'm in the Delaware valley. We've been getting rain since last night, but only the occasional gust of hard wind. There's no danger of flooding in my part of town.

does anyone know if it has made landfall yet? My tv satellite is down and the internet won't tell me. I think it came ashore around 5:55pm or so.

Hellbent said:

does anyone know if it has made landfall yet? My tv satellite is down and the internet won't tell me. I think it came ashore around 5:55pm or so.

Technically no, unless what I'm reading is outdated. The center is just off the coast.

I just saw a report about this on BBC News. They compared the storm to Europe, and showed footage of New York...

Holy shit...stay safe everyone.