Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Monster over the Atlantic (Sandy Strengthens)

Stronger winds and good amounts of rain here in Toronto, but seems to have subsided for now as I'm typing this. Hope everyone stays safe

Dragonsbrethren said:

Technically no, unless what I'm reading is outdated. The center is just off the coast.

ok thanks.

EDIT: anyone have a good live stream of reporting on the storm?

BloodyAcid said:

Stronger winds and good amounts of rain here in Toronto, but seems to have subsided for now as I'm typing this. Hope everyone stays safe

Northern Ontario is doing pretty good. We have some moderate wind and rain/wet snow.

Rain has pretty much stopped, it's just moderately strong wind now but had no long power outages, just occasional surges making power go off then back on.

I'm in Brooklyn. From here it doesn't seem that much different from a usual storm (besides the stronger winds), but I'm up on hill.

I'm sure it's much worse closer to the water.

Philadelphia. Nothing but rain and some heavy wind. Probably sucks next to a creek though

BloodyAcid said:

I bet my college might be half-empty tomorrow due to the panic and uncertainty that people are feeling, but I'm still gonna come because I find it more productive and efficient to study on campus grounds rather than at the distracting comfort of my home.

Anyways, yeah, it seems to be focused more southwards in New York while all we have up here is just non-stop raindrops with frigid winds. My umbrella broke this afternoon, but fortunately I have a backup one handy.

So we have had severe winds (speaking from the NW DC/MD area) and consistent rain. There are power outages in that area of MD but no real problems where I live. Hopefully everything will be good by the end of the warning, which will be Tuesday evening.

EDIT: I love you Dragonsbrethren

“We knew that this was going to be a very dangerous storm, and the storm has met our expectations,” New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I) told reporters. “This is a once-in-a-long-time storm.” Link

Indeed, every radio in New York should've been playing "Into Sandy's City". That would've been totally living in the moment. :p

Anyways, up here in the suburbs of Toronto it's kind of quiet right now while the soil is still wet in some spots from last night's rain. College is not as empty as I thought it might be. Oh well.

Two pages and they're not filled with Sandy Peterson jokes?

The death toll seems to be rising by the minute. An hour or so ago it was at 18. Then I just woke up from a nap and it was at 33. Few minutes later I refresh google news and it's at 35....

Look at the url: www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/ But read the first paragraph of the story....

Anyway, whatever your opinion is on the storm's historical place, it is without a doubt the most destructive category 1 storm ever to hit the US.

I used to live in Jersey, moved out April. My sisters are still up there, and one is a nurse. No power, no internet there, Atlantic City is gone and boardwalk is pretty much destroyed, uprooted houses, uprooted trees, gigantic lakes, larger rivers, floating cars, etc.

Here in West Virginia though (where I moved to anyway), we just got lots of snow. Lights flickered a bunch, but there was no real power loss at least at work. But there was a power failure at home since one of my non-auto turning on devices was off.

So yeah, lots of stuff went down.

This is really, really, really really really... really bad. This is unprecedented. New Jersey is wrecked, Manhattan is wrecked, the Subways are flooded, the pumps are flooded, people trapped in electrical fires, and on and on and on.

And A friend of mine hasn't called. Ugh.

Surprisingly here in Rhode Island, hardly anyone on my side of town lost power from Sandy. It's crazy considering my house was without power for a week during Irene last year.

Still, several houses floated away into the sea in Matunick from the rising sea levels, and the whole southern end of the state (Newport, Narragansett, and Woonsocket) got shaken up from the flooding. It's nothing compared to what hit NYC and New Jersey though.

I'm at a friend's house right now. No damage to my place, but a tree fell over and took out the power lines two houses down from me. We'll probably be out for at least another day.

...here in south-eastern michigan (Detroit), and around the area, there have been (from a news website) over 111,000 power outages in Michigan alone. I heard we were supposed to get even more tommorow, but I don't know for sure.

I just can't imagine you east coasters. Godspeed for all of you!

That was the worst storm I've ever seen in Cleveland! Must have been absurd to the east

Epyo said:

That was the worst storm I've ever seen in Cleveland! Must have been absurd to the east

When did you experience the worst of it?

Technician said:

Still a fake. I doubt that monument could survive waves that high.

"And one final picture, which shows the Statue of Liberty being pummelled by waist-high waves - it's fake. But it was only a matter of time before it surfaced – it's actually from the cataclysmic climate change film Day After Tomorrow."

Heh.

Sandy still small potatoes compared with the 1938 Great New England Hurricane.

EDIT: What would have happened if Sandy had hit just as it did but in 1938 with no warning? Probably would have been a similar level of catastrophe... maybe worse given that it moved much slower ashore than the Long Island Express and trained its devastation on a more populated area. (1938 Great New England Hurricane)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9raxPP4XA&playnext=1&list=PLFA462C06C8FE2000&feature=results_video.

From Monday night to this morning I had to no power, and it sucked ass.

It's nice not to be freezing. At least the concert I was supposed to see last night got rescheduled.